Refund for cancelled event

tony3x
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1404 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Not sure if this is in the right place but I could do with some advice on making a claim to get a refund for an event that was cancelled.

Here is the basics of the story;

A music event that is run twice a year was cancelled in May due to Covid.

At the time they just transferred the tickets to the event running next May.

Was ok with this as would have been going anyway.

Since then there has been some developments where the main person (Mr A) that promotes the event posted some racist and sexist comments on social media.

As such the venue have announced that they have terminated their relationship with said promoter and no further events will go ahead.

I, among others, have tried to get a refund, which should have been offered under Covid guidelines, but have met with the proverbial brick wall.

Email replies are standard and say that they are undergoing a management re-structure and the deposits for the September event will be refunded and then they will deal with the may 2020 event (this had been fully paid by everyone).

The situation is further complicated by the company set up.

The event is known and advertised by a particular name and cheque payments (I know, should have paid by card!) are made to the said name.

However in the background there is a Ltd company of which Mr A is a director along with 2 others (Mr B & Mr C).

Checking companies house show this company is trading with significant amounts in the accounts. 

Mr A is supposed to have been removed as a director but is not the case at present.

However the shareholders are the children of Mr A (held in trust) so a link is still there.

The promoter is still advertising events even though the venue has stated that they will not be going ahead.

This is not a small event.

It has been running since 1979 with the current promoter in charge since 1994.

It runs twice a year with around 4000 people at each event with prices ranging from £100ea if you stay offsite and £160ea to stay onsite.

It appears that the Ltd company is trading as the event name but cannot find this link anywhere on any documentation or flyers

- am I right in saying that The Ltd company should disclose any trading names?

So a couple of questions;

I paid the balance of my booking by cheque

- would I be able to find out the name of the account my cheque was paid into (regardless of who I made it payable to) from my bank?

What chance, if any, do I have in success by the small claims route do you think I would have.

After I had typed this I got the feeling that I did not pay the deposit by cheque, luckily I paid by credit card (£100).

I assume that I could claim the full amount under section 75 but feel aggrieved that the promoter then gets away with keeping my money and the credit card company suffer (morals I know).

My total outlay is only £200 but its the principle not the amount.

Long read and thanks for any help.

Section 75...if you want a refund along with any consequential losses....CC is as liable as the promoter....dont worry about the credit card suffering...Im sure that they are adequately covered.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

I get your drift Andy. Its actually less about the CC suffering and more about the thieving Piers Morgan of a promoter getting away with it. The good thing is I know I can get my money back.

Tried a section 75 but as the ticket price was only £99 each they will only try a chargeback which will only cover my £100 deposit.

The venue is now advertising another event on the same weekend next May so there is no chance of the promoter transferring the date from 2020 to 2021.

I. among others, feel that the company will try to liquidate rather than make refunds.

Further investigation is needed but just need to check something. The address that is listed on the promotional material is a PO Box, this is also the correspondence address where the booking forms are sent, or should I use the address listed on companies house.

Something else that was mentioned to me that needs clarification. If a Ltd company has a trading name, should both names be on any promotional material, letter heads, email signatures etc.

Thanks