Breach of contact online course

PenAndPencil
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1571 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

Subject: I believe I have a case of breach of contract against an online course provider.

Particulars: 18 week editing course with 3 lots of tutor feedback promised at certain points in the course. Each lesson is unlocked as the course progresses. Tutor feedback is the issue.

The first bit of tutor feedback was a 20 minute skype call at the start of the course. It ended up being about the course itself rather than editing the manuscript. I asked the tutor to record the skype call but she couldn’t work the software so it wasn’t recorded. In effect, I have no record of the discussion. 

Three months into the course, the tutor changed the second lot of feedback to a Q&A and rescheduled it to AFTER the end of the course. I have a screen shot of the written post from the tutor clearly stating this alteration. So, not only has this second lot of feedback now become a Q&A there is no feedback, again. She wrote that it’s to give students a chance to ask questions about the report (next).

The third and final lot of feedback — is in the form of a report on the edited manuscript. It is sent out 4 weeks after the end of the course. This timeframe of the report was included in the original course description. However, by moving AND transforming the second lot of feedback to AFTER the report comes out, it appears as though this course has been unofficially extended to 24 weeks. I mentioned this, but they do not agree that the course is extended. 

After they altered the second lot of feedback, I made a complaint. I stated that, I have not received tutor feedback/critique on my edits. I have no clue what I’m doing. The other students in the course have struggled along too and we have given each other critique as we are expected to do. However, it is not a high standard and it’s like the blind leading the blind.

All for the sum of £1,800!!!  

In the end, I asked for my money back. Of course they have refused. They have claimed I have benefited from the course and that I have availed myself of the course materials, hence I am not entitled to a refund. I countered that by saying they have changed the feedback and shoved the timetable around. They refuse to acknowledge that. I also complained that the Q&A falls outside of the official course dates and we are all vulnerable.  

I made an initial complaint In December. We were in dispute using their own complaints process under their terms and conditions — all to no avail.  In that time, lessons were unlocked.  They are now saying that because I had access to the lessons and I am now not entitled to my money back. I wrote to let them know that I only remained enrolled to keep the complaints process going under their terms and conditions. They gave me a copy of my login activity - for the period after I made my initial complaint. I had to go into the class forum to screenshot the evidence (tutor post, and other students’ comments, terms and conditions of the course, course description, aims etc). 

When it was clear they were dragging the complaints process out, so that more classes became unlocked, I asked them to withdraw me and I sent them a pre-small claims court letter.

1/ Do I have grounds to ask for the full refund at this point?

2/ By switching the Q&A to after the end of the course, is it also a breach? It is advertised very clearly that this is an 18 week course.

3/ I don’t want mediation - but am happy to hear your opinion on that.

4/ The pre-court letter gives them 28 days to respond before I file a claim. If anything, I suspect they will continue to refute or offer a tiny token of a settlement. Can I file sooner than 28 days or do I just wait it out?

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give. 

I appreciate your asking - no worries.

I could imagine that a judge could ask them to offer some replacement service. Since I've never sampled their feedback or critique service, I don't know if it's worth all the time and money I've already wasted. 

Edited by PenAndPencil

Mods will probably move your thread over the the General Legal forum - just in case it happens and you get confused.

I'm not even mildly clued up on a dispute of this nature, but you'd need to compare benefits they were contractually required to deliver against what you actually did receive. Without seeing the T&Cs and course schedule, as well as their complaints policy, it's difficult to say at a glance what scope you'd have to sue them. Others on here will hopefully be able to advise better.

You should wait out the number of days they've been afforded in your pre-action letter.

Topic moved to General Legal Issues.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

name names please...

how did you pay?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I intend to name names when this is over. 

I paid via credit card. I lodged a dispute with the credit card company under section 75 first but they declined to find fault. 

Edited by PenAndPencil