• Tweets

• Paint is a free programme on any Windows PC. But don't worry, the choice here is not either perfection or nothing. As you say, use your scanner, save the file ... and then use the "choose files" option when you post to CAG to add the file. We can do all the redacting and converting to the correct file type at this end.  The important thing is just to get the info to us. Why not do an experiment this afternoon and see if the above works?  
    • I see they're trying to round up asylum seekers and lock them up for about three months so they can be put on planes to Rwanda. I'm a bit surprised that this is legal.  
    • thought for the day "Prime ministers need a big strategy that tells you where you’re going, you need a bunch of tactics that get you there, and you need the ability to take everybody else with you."   Now I know you are all thinking 'why is the  UKs destination Rwanda ???
    • Asset Link filed for a default CCJ against me, in relation to an old Barclaycard debt which I apparently signed an agreement for back in 2000.   I did not own a Barclaycard in 2000 so I know this is not true.  The CCJ notice was sent to an old address so I did not receive it.  Years later when I found out about the CCJ when I applied for credit, I put an application in to have the CCJ set aside.   As part of the set aside case, I was asked by the judge to provide a draft defence, should the CCJ be set aside.   The defence I provided was that I did not admit to the debt as I had not been provided with any evidence of an original loan agreement.   I won the case and the CCJ was set aside.   Link then filed to court again to make me pay the debt.   We both filed directions questionnaires and the judge allocated the claim to the small claims track.   As part of the directions, additional directions given were as follows ' Additional Directions in a claim for an Assigned Debt - Because the claim is in respect of an assigned debt the Court makes the following directions for the management of claim.  The claim shall be automatically struck out at 4pm on 3 April 2024 unless, before that time, the Claimant delivers to the Court and to the Defendant the following documents'  It then listed various documents such as an original agreement, deed of assignment, notice of default, statement of account setting out how the alleged debt accrued under that agreement etc.     The Claimant failed to provide these documents within the deadline provided and instead I received a copy of a bundle of documents provided by them in preparation for the court date, this was received weeks after the deadline.    I have called the Court to ask if it has been automatically struck out and they advised that it is not automatic and that I should still send my witness statement by the deadline provided, which is Wednesday.  This does not give me much time to prepare my witness statement.   I have never done anything like this before and I am unclear what my witness statement should include.  My thoughts were that I should keep it simple and stick to the facts, like the fact thy have not provided evidence of the original agreement, or the deed of assignment of the debt.   They have provided a copy of a default notice from Baclaycard dated 2015, this states a figure of £550 but the debt they say I owe is £10k.   I am not sure what makes a valid default notice?   I have previously requested proof of the debt from Barclaycard directly and have evidence of emails between us where they have been unable to provide me with the agreement or any documents at all relating to the debt.   Should I include these as an appendix?  Are there any other documents I should include in my bundle?    I have also tried to mediate with the claimants, to save the court costs and time, on a without prejudice basis, but the claimants solicitors refused to mediate.   Should i state this in my witness statement too to show the judge that I have been reasonable and they haven't? Many thanks   Louise
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Your Rights as a Consumer - A basic introduction

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6210 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Please rate Barracads's CAGCast - 1 - 3(3=Great)  

36 Caggers have voted

1. 1. Please rate Barracads's CAGCast - 1 - 3(3=Great)

Your Rights as a Consumer - A basic introduction

Podcast contents:

• Basic requirements
  • Faulty items
  • Refunds
  • Repair and replacement
  • Unsafe goods

Please make your comments, post your responses or ask your questions in this thread.

Listen to the podcast and vote:-

www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/podcast/barracad01.mp3

• Haha 1

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Excellent Podcast! very professional. Well done!

Robertxc v. Abbey - £3300 Settled in full

Robertxc v. Clydesdale - £750 Settled in full

Nationwide v. Robertxc - £2000 overdraft wiped out, Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Style Card - Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Abbey (1) - Data Protection Act action. £750 compensation

Robertxc v. Abbey (2) - Data Protection Act action. £2000 compensation, default removed

The opinions on this post are those of Robertxc and not necessarily the opinions of the group and do not constitute sound legal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice.

Very good. Clear, well structured and very informative.

The background music / voice balance wasn't quite perfect though, consider having the music volume set a tiny bit lower in the future.

Still a well earned *** from me though!

If you found this post useful, please click on the "scales" icon in the bottom left of my post and say so!

The opinions of this post are those of monkey_uk and do not constitute sound legal advice. I am not a lawyer.

--

Halifax Unlawful Bank Charges: S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) Sent 28/02/07 - CC Statement's rcv'd 18/04/07 Bank a/c statements rcv'd 19/04/07

First Direct Unlawful Bank Charges: Settled in Full 12/05/06 | £2235.50

Well done, Barracad. I like the idea of the background music - it helps thing along and you don't feel as though you're being lectured on a one-to-one basis.

You seem a quietly-spoken bloke, though, and as BB indicated, the backing occasionally swamps you. If you're able to re-mix with a slightly lower backing level, then that might be worth a try.

But we can all do someone's job better than they can, can't we ? That is, until we find ourselves in their shoes.

These podcasts are excellent, and I'm sure they will benefit lots of people who aren't too good with the keyboard, etc.

Well done, mate - and keep 'em coming you guys !!

I think if (when) I do another I'll lower the music some more - it was actually going to be louder than that then I changed it right at the last minute. Also, I'll try and speak a little slower - only realised after I'd finished editing that it sounded too quick in places.

Thanks for your positive comments and construcive criticism - this is the first time I've ever done anything like this so all feedback greatly appreciated.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

christmasrallycag_468x60.gif

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

I think if (when) I do another I'll lower the music some more - it was actually going to be louder than that then I changed it right at the last minute. Also, I'll try and speak a little slower - only realised after I'd finished editing that it sounded too quick in places.

Thanks for your positive comments and construcive criticism - this is the first time I've ever done anything like this so all feedback greatly appreciated.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

christmasrallycag_468x60.gif

I didn't realise this is the first time you've done this, mate. Blimey - that is brilliant. If I'd realised that, I wouldn't have torn it to pieces !!

There's no way I could have got it as good as that until at least the 100th take !!

But yes, you've got to post it up for us lot to savage, in order to get the "Old Grey Whistle Test" carried out.

As regards doing any more of these - "If" is not an option - "When" is the only correct answer !!

And soon !

Interesting, and informative. A useful reminder for those who may not be aware of their rights. Content was very good, production was average. May be copyright issues if the music is not royalty-free or an original work. It is generally the case that unless you've paid for an appropriate licence to do so, including music in a podcast IIRC constitutes offering a copy for download.

I don't know what you did as regards the music, but when I put together trailers, etc. I get the level of the voice right first, then adjust the volume of the backing music accordingly before doing the final mix. It also seemed you were speaking a little quietly into the microphone - in future, turn the mic level down, and your voice box up :)

I was torn between 2/3 and 3/3, and went for 2 to make the result look less boring. Good job otherwise.

HSBCLloyds TSBcontractual interestNew Tax Creditscoming for you?NTL/Virgin Media

Never give in ... Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. Churchill, 1941

Guest Battleaxe

Brilliant.. I found the sound level good, I could understand everything, found the background music fine.

For a first time well done.

You gave the facts and the contacts, no waffling. Short, sharp and sweet.

Interesting, and informative. A useful reminder for those who may not be aware of their rights. Content was very good, production was average. May be copyright issues if the music is not royalty-free or an original work. It is generally the case that unless you've paid for an appropriate licence to do so, including music in a podcast IIRC constitutes offering a copy for download.

I don't know what you did as regards the music, but when I put together trailers, etc. I get the level of the voice right first, then adjust the volume of the backing music accordingly before doing the final mix. It also seemed you were speaking a little quietly into the microphone - in future, turn the mic level down, and your voice box up :)

I was torn between 2/3 and 3/3, and went for 2 to make the result look less boring. Good job otherwise.

Thanks for your comments.

As I said earlier it's the first time I've ever done anything like this or had any experiences of either recording my own voice or editing audio. I tried playing about with a couple of mics and different sound levels and went for the one which I thought sounded the best.

I edited the vocal part alone and got that into something which I thought sounded half decent, but then thought it sounded a little boring so I googled for some royalty free music which I purchased for a small fee and I personally feel it improved the overall podcast somewhat.

I'm glad the production was 'average' as I would have expected my first attempt to be below average.

I'm very pleased with all your comments so far and will be taking everything in for next time, so keep your tips and tricks coming. :-)

[...] I googled for some royalty free music which I purchased for a small fee and I personally feel it improved the overall podcast somewhat.

Good, good. It's bad enough that the banks would want to shut us down, no need to give anyone else any excuses. At some point, I'll put together some guidelines for people thinking of doing a sound recording.

Definitely a good first offering from you. :)

HSBCLloyds TSBcontractual interestNew Tax Creditscoming for you?NTL/Virgin Media

Never give in ... Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. Churchill, 1941

well done Barracad, for someone who's never done any recording before you did brilliant.

It takes a bit to get used to mic levels etc. but you gave it a go and it sounded great.

I'm going to give it a go, my ex and I used to be in a band together and he still has our 8 track in his , so when I decide what I'd like to cover I'll use some of our own music ( a mellow track, as we were rockers ! ) as a backing track and I'll ask you what you think.

1/6/06 request charges

16/6/06 received charges

18/6/06 first request for refund

3/7/06 "No" letter from bank

13/7/06 LBA

7/08/06 handed claim to court

10/8/06 court stamped as date of issue

24/8/06 deemed to be served

25/8/06 Sechiari filed acknowledgement of service

6/9/06 defence served

9/9/06 copy of defence and AQ received by me

25/9/06 deadline for AQ submission

25/9/06 call Sechiari confirm safe receipt of my AQ

26/9/06 received copy AQ from Sechiari

29/9/06 letter to SCM to say "you want 1 month to settle, so settle"

18/10/06 after "strained communications"and how !

verbal offer of full settlement with conditions

communications rejecting conditions from me

5/11/06 received letter offering settlement with conditions

7/11/06 sent fax rejecting conditions etc

14/11/06 unconditional settlement in bank and how !;)

well done Barracad, for someone who's never done any recording before you did brilliant.

It takes a bit to get used to mic levels etc. but you gave it a go and it sounded great.

I'm going to give it a go, my ex and I used to be in a band together and he still has our 8 track in his , so when I decide what I'd like to cover I'll use some of our own music ( a mellow track, as we were rockers ! ) as a backing track and I'll ask you what you think.

Brilliant, Freebird - Yeah - do one.

And then some.

right I've got an idea sorted but what format would it have to be in to upload it on to here...I can record on to 2 tracks on the porta studio, my vocal track and 1 backing track, but we would mix that on to cassette, so what does it need to be on for the software on here? as you can see I have no technical knowledge what so ever..so where do I go from here ?

1/6/06 request charges

16/6/06 received charges

13/7/06 LBA

6/9/06 defence served

right I've got an idea sorted but what format would it have to be in to upload it on to here...I can record on to 2 tracks on the porta studio, my vocal track and 1 backing track, but we would mix that on to cassette, so what does it need to be on for the software on here? as you can see I have no technical knowledge what so ever..so where do I go from here ?

Hey Freebird - you took the bait !!

Barracad's is an MP3 file (at 128 kbps) - if that means anything to you analogue rockers !! If you can mix down to a stereo (not dual mono, if possible) reel-to-reel on the portastudio ( I dunno what you guys use these days - it was TEAC or Revox A-77's in my day !!). I would then recommend you D.I. straight from the 1/4" into your PC., if the cassette you mention is standard audio cassette.

I assume here that this is your procedure for recording audio cassettes for sale/distribution at gigs. If your cassette output quality is better than that, then go with it.

This is the difficult bit, I think, between old Lynyrd Skynyrd rockers and the new MP3 boom-box generation (bless 'em) !! If you have some audio software (eg., High Criteria's Total Recorder) that allows this, then you're away, otherwise I'm not sure if you can do it. You need a program that takes the audio input from your PC's sound card (usually mic or line input), and converts it to a PC format (eg. MP3, WMA, WAV, etc). Total recorder does this, but you may have your own. If not, then PM me. If you have got one, then you're there. Save it as an MP3 file, then upload it.

As an aside, if you have a mod overlooking your project, then you might want to save it as a WAV file. This is an uncompressed file (as opposed to MP3), but can be uploaded to the CAG Ivory Tower for "further processing."

Either way - PM me - I used to play pub rock in a previous life - and boy do I miss it.

Regarding backing music - note Meagain's posts. You might like to shove some LS down at the back, but you may have to compromise, there. Also, you might find that Meagain has further input on this, anyway, in which case, I'd go with him - he's still doin' it. I handed my empty glass back over the bar 16 years ago !!! :cool:

Bless you, matey - go for it. Be a trouper again !! :)

lol..the last time I rocked live was 1993.......did a bit of charity stuff and continued to send tapes to A&R's but most of them were A&Rsoles and only signed up chart stuff..we compromised several times and did some county rock stuff for locl radio and charity but our heart was in our own material.

I have my PC in mine and the porta studio is still in my "ex's....so DI is out of the question!

Here's me with a phone that, dials out, receives incoming calls and sends texts....little black number, suits me fine but I'm laughed at by the kids who, bluetooth-MP3-and I Pod like mad.........that might as well be double dutch to me........

Right back to the drawing board..if Use a mic directly in to the PC and just play a low volume track of one of my songs on my CD player next to my PC that should do it, I think.....I know it's not the same but I've done it for my answerphone message in the past and it's worked.

I don't do written instructions too well as I'm dyslexic and it took me 27 hours to put this flat pack PC desk together from Ikea!!!!!!! I gave up on the bloody guide and guessed it..too many pieces all looking alike...too many holes..not enough screws and plugs.......

any "simple" instructions or ideas, guys would be most welcome

1/6/06 request charges

16/6/06 received charges

13/7/06 LBA

6/9/06 defence served

lol..the last time I rocked live was 1993.......did a bit of charity stuff and continued to send tapes to A&R's but most of them were A&Rsoles and only signed up chart stuff..we compromised several times and did some county rock stuff for locl radio and charity but our heart was in our own material.

I have my PC in mine and the porta studio is still in my "ex's....so DI is out of the question!

Here's me with a phone that, dials out, receives incoming calls and sends texts....little black number, suits me fine but I'm laughed at by the kids who, bluetooth-MP3-and I Pod like mad.........that might as well be double dutch to me........

Right back to the drawing board..if Use a mic directly in to the PC and just play a low volume track of one of my songs on my CD player next to my PC that should do it, I think.....I know it's not the same but I've done it for my answerphone message in the past and it's worked.

I don't do written instructions too well as I'm dyslexic and it took me 27 hours to put this flat pack PC desk together from Ikea!!!!!!! I gave up on the bloody guide and guessed it..too many pieces all looking alike...too many holes..not enough screws and plugs.......

any "simple" instructions or ideas, guys would be most welcome

Know what you mean FB

- if it weren't for my 16-yr old kid,

I'd be likewise.

I've (reluctantly) learned a bit from her,

at least !!

Sorry -didn't realise dyslexia.

It must make my stuff look like utter cr@p !!

If it's any consolation,

the instructions for ANY flatback

are utter cr@p !!

If you can master your podcast

on the porta studio,

then put it on cassette,

as a stereo mix,

I think this would be better

than doing it on your PC,

with the mic & cassette player.

OK for answer phones, that,

but might be not quite for podcast.

Maybe you can then PM a mod

and send the cassette to a PO Box

or for collection at a PO.,

and they could put it on the forum

as an MP3.

Or send to me,

and I'd be honoured to do it.

I think you're a good guy

- but you'd have to trust me !!

Check mods first, though.

Hope my attempt at making

my post easier to read isn't insulting !!!

Don't know enough about dyslexia

(apart from the usual jokes)

- so please forgive if

it seems too condescending !!

Bill. :)

PS Yeah - OK., Glenn - my stuff doesn't just LOOK like utter cr@p !!!

hey Bill no sweat, I take my time reading everything twice or three times till it makes sense..I also have to check what I'm sending out as the typos are laughable. I have the text on my own PC quite large so that helps out too. It's only mild dyslexia and it's worse when I'm tired or run down, so night time posting can be tough but you kind of adjust and get on with it. It's a strange thing really and sometimes what I type with my fingers, isn't what appears on the screen, can't explain it really..it's a "brain" thing.. to complicated for me !

Right I'll get a recording done and take it from there....I'm almost sure that I can download an MP3 file converter too.

Thanks for your offer to sort the cassette. When it's done I'll come back on and take it from there.

1/6/06 request charges

16/6/06 received charges

13/7/06 LBA

6/9/06 defence served

Yeah, good, mate -

Do the master first.

Not sure if Nero Wave Editor

will do the MP3 for you.

If not, don't spend any cash

as there are plenty out there.

You can probably use a

freebie trial version.

Hopefully, your cassette Line Out

will connect to Line or Mic In

on the PC.

Then you're nearly there !!

Go for it matey

- do your thing.

- and enjoy the smell

of the crowd once again !!:D

If it makes a difference, you can copy the CD to your computer (no legal issues if it is an original piece), record the voice track separately and use some editing software such as Audacity (quite easy to use, the documentation is good) to do the mix itself. My experience is that music playing in the background is difficult to pick up on a mic if the speakers are too far away.

I'll put up some info for potential 'casters in the near future.

Further to Meagain's help there, Freebird -

Yes, you could copy (record) your music track to computer,

then record your vox track as an entirely separate item.

Try and get the timing of the two approx. correct.

Hopefully, you could then mix them yourself on the PC,or send these 2 tracks out to anybody whocan do it for you.

Or to a mod, maybe.

:D