• Tweets

• if the agreement was taken out jan 23, then she has not reached the 1/3rd mark so the car has not become protected goods under the consumer credit act.  this puts her in a very very vulnerable position regarding ever keeping the car....whereby once they have issued a default notice they can legally send a guy with a flatbed (though they are NOT BAILIFFS and have ZERO legal powers) to collect the car.  if the car is kept on the public highway then they can simply take it away and she will legally owe the whole stated amount on the agreement AND lose the car. if it's on private property i'e like a driveway, ok they shouldn't take it without her agreeing, but if they do, it's not really on but its better than a court case and an inevitable loss with the granting a return of goods order. are these 'health reasons' likely to resolve themselves in the very short term (like a couple of months?) and can she immediately begin working again ? i'e has she got a job or would have to find one?  answer the above and we'll try and help. but she looks to be between rock and a hard place . whatever happens she will still have to pay the loan off...car or no car....unless you can appeal to the finance company's better nature using health reasons to back off for xxx months.
    • no need to use it. it doubles the size of the thread and makes it very diff to find replies on small screens too. just like @username it - sends unnecessary alerts to people. everyone that's posted on your thread already inc you ...gets an automatic email alert when someone else posts.
    • Hello all,   I ordered a laptop online about 16 months ago. The laptop was faulty and I was supposed to send it back within guarantee but didn't for various reasons. I contacted the company a few months later and they said they will still fix it for me free of charge but I'd have to pay to send it to them and they will pay to send it back to me. The parcel arrived there fine. Company had fixed it and they sent it via dpd. I was working in the office so I asked my neighbours who would be in, as there's been a history of parcel thefts on our street. I had 2 neighbours who offered but when I went to update delivery instructions, their door number wasn't on the drop down despite sharing the same post code.  I then selected a neighbour who I thought would likely be in and also selected other in the safe place selection and put the number of the neighbour who I knew would definitely be in and they left my parcel outside and the parcel was stolen. DPD didn't want to deal with me and said I need to speak to the retailer. The retailer said DPD have special instructions from them not to leave a parcel outside unless specified by a customer. The retailer then said they could see my instructions said leave in a safe space but I have no porch. My front door just opens onto the road and the driver made no attempt to conceal it.  Anyway, I would like to know if I have rights here because the delivery wasn't for an item that I just bought. It was initially delivered but stopped working within the warranty period and they agreed to fix it for free.  Appreciate your help 🙏🏼   Thanks!
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Delboy v The Hallifax

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6295 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

After finding this web site i have just sent off my request for details of five years worth of charges.

IN the last 10 months alone i think i have been charged 1,500. I changed jobs 3 years ago (took a pay cut to move as was good career move) and then eventually was made redundant along with 20 other workers. It hit me hard financially and eventually sold property to pay most debt off. I am now renting and really the banks charges killed me each month.

I am so annoyed that 1p overdrawn they charge you £30. Its obscene.

I expect my charges could be 5k plus!! I intend to persue for every penny as they crippled me.

I wish myself and others the best of luck!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I have received my bank charge details from Halifax. No charge so far. Worked out my charges and since nov2001 to nov 2006 £4, 536.....shocking!! Will be sending letter shortly once i have a spare few hours to type it all up. Cheers for now.

Go for it mate. I'm right behind you along with thousands of others!

You need help, we'll be here, just shout!

But, please, please, please read the FAQ's and look at the letters in the library.

Good luck, and I mean it, we're here for you!

A D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]"Another charge by the Bank?"

1st Claim (Current account)

30/11/06 WON! £3146.41

2nd Claim (Mortgage charges)

27/3/07 WON! - £277

3rd Claim (Credit card charges)

14/5/07 WON! £300

4th Claim (Old account 97-99 £444)

20/4/07 Prelim sent

9/5/07 LBA sent

Can't remember now but I WON!!!

My current thread - An A-Z - My previous saga

IF THIS HAS HELPED PLEASE CLICK THE SCALES - THANK YOU.

Good luck in your claim.

HBOS Plc - £9,954.65 Received partial settlement - Court 6/12/06 default removal / compensation / declaration

MBNA - Settled in full £2,377.33

Abbey National - MoneyClaim filed 26/06/2006 £883.90

Lloyds TSB - Claim Filed 11/08/2006 £2,630.00

Egg.com - Claim Filed 11/08/2006 £1,393.60

GE Money - Claim Filed 11/08/2006 £965.22

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Got a letter sent to me dated 11th Jan which arrived 12th Jan (just getting round to posting this now!).

It was from the Halifax and it basically said they were sorry to hear i was unhappy with the charges applied to my account and that someone had been designated the task of looking into this for me and i would be hearing from them shortly and definately within 4 weeks.

This thursday the 8th feb 2007 is the four weeks been and gone. Just wondered if anyone else had had a letter similar to this one?

Also if thursday comes and goes and i don't hear anything, then what should be my next plan of action? I think it puts me in a stronger postion as they themselves set a 4 week timescale to investigate my claim and yet they could actually fail to meet their own deadline.

Cheers in advance.

Good luck mate, I was in a similar position where I changed jobs to work from home - then it all went titsup.com and I ended up not getting paid for about 6 months, hit me hard, and the Halifax hit me even harder, despite me explaining what was going on and that I was looking for a new job.

Strangely Barclaycard were excellent and even froze interest :eek: I'm pursuing the Halifax out of principle to be honest, as my account is always in order - just that blip showed me how nasty they can be.

I too am doing this out of principal...well it started out like that.

At the time being umemployed and mortgage to pay and bills etc i was charged £250 a month for 6 months in a row and then gradually fought this. I do all banking online so the excuse for "you will be charged £30 for this letter" can't exist.

I did start this as principal as if Halifax hadn't hit me with the costly charges i would have been able to get out of the hole i was in quicker but their charges caused probably the most amount of stress at that time. They crippled me.

I am now engaged and my fiance is due our baby in may/june time. I know see it in the light that Halifax took alot of cash from me that i feel was unjustified and grossly inflated they can know give me it back and i can start married life with my family with a little bit of cash in the bank and hopefully a honeymoon! oh and i'll need to buy lots and lots of nappies!:-)

That for me is the least they can do!

Right ok here goes....Deal or No Deal??

I received post this morning from the Halifax. Basically saying i responsible for charges blah blah blah.....as a goodwill gesture....£2670....

i claimed for £4,536. i very happy witht he offer. i do need the money and although i could take this futher,my fiance does have a baby on the way (yes it is mine!!) and this money could ease some stress and a little bit of security. This may sound daft but pushing for the extra 2k seems so unimportant in my current circumstances even though 2k is alot of money to me.

For me this is Halifax admitting that although my account should incur charges as mismanagement of my account lies with me they are admitting they charged too much which is what i wanted.

I am very happy with this offer as i look forward to new and exciting times in my life. I can't thank this web site enough. Good luck to everyone and roll on the reclaiming bank charges bandwagon!