• Tweets

• The 365-day notice account is being offered by saving and investing platform Prosper, in a deal that This is Money has secured exclusively for readers.View the full article
    • If you are confident that citizens advice are going to give you the help you need, then you should stick with them. No point in trying to ride two horses at the same time. It will only lead to confusion and conflicting advice. Also, the people at citizens advice get paid. Everybody on this forum works completely free of charge – no payment – no strings. I hope you get your money back, but for the moment I'm going to close this thread
    • While I agree with getting it done by an authorised dealer in this case, for future reference a stop/start battery for one of these cars are about £120 and anyone with a £40 BMW specific scanner off of Amazon can "register" the battery.
    • Dave, Section 12 seems to be a bit of a dangling limb on it's own, with no reference or explanation about the "breach" of parking out of hours. Also, rather than draw any attention to the specific 22:00 to 08:00 wording on their "draft signage", how about a slight reshuffle ...? 11. The claimant provides 2 copies of the signage on this site. One of the signs shows a time restriction of 2 hours, the other sign shows a parking restriction of 3 hours. 12. The driver stayed under 2 hours so even had the signs been visible the driver would have respected the Claimant's terms & conditions. Are the above strictly needed? The claimant has made no references to an overstay, just "out of hours". 13. The claimant also states in paragraph 8 of the witness statement: "On 17 March 2023 a vehicle with registration number was recorded as having breached the terms and conditions of parking. The driver of the aforementioned vehicle was in breach by virtue of parking on site out of hours." 14. The claimants Exhibit BA/2 also does not specify any times for "out of hours parking". Breach of a non-existent terms is not possible.   Or something along those lines? Screws up the the paragraph numberig a bit though...  
    • The Open University is hosting this event on attracting and developing young talent. Our Deputy CEO Lauren Mistry is speaking during the event.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Sent SAR but today received Court Claim form

libbyb
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6242 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Dweeble, they have in an email today said that the car was sold for £1900. They say this was deducted from the balance, but from the date they last wrote (04/05/05) til 01/11/06, there was no further correspondence, and their calculation of the debt shows that £1380 in interest has accrued since that date. so not much to show for the car sale now then.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Libby, you will have to ask for the case to be delayed I think. They are

giving you so much new information so late to be able to come up with your best defence and strongest arguments. To be on the safe side, if you can, it

might be better to deliver the papers by hand as the post may not be back to normal, and its vital that your son has as much info as he can get before he

goes to Court.

If Online have sold it, who is Shoosmith acting on behalf of? It should be

on the summons from Court. Also, when a contract is assigned, the new owner should inform you, since they need your permission to continue the

contract at the same terms as under the oriinal creditor. And you can

refuse [ok your son can.] Is the interest rate the same as before? When you

issue a CA request, interest charges on the account should cease. If

you don't know who owns the debt, you can't CCA them. They took a long

time to take away the car and advise you of the oustanding yet-so why should your son be liable for that inrerest when they gave him no opportunity

to repay?

Why was it not explained when the car repossessed that he would still have to pay for the car? Now he has the worst of both worlds-paying for a car he hasn't got-indeed paying more than if he still had the car.

Why is he being charged insurance for 60 months when the car has been sold

Why were £700 of charges refunded. Have they been deducted from the

outstanding balance?

Hi, Lookinforinfo - I know I am getting disjointed with all of this. Shoosmith's are solicitors, one of their services is debt collection (I went on their website when my son received their letter). In all correspondence they refer to On Line Finance as 'their client'. The problem with delivering papers by hand is that the claim has been filed with MCOL Northampton. We are located in Surrey! I have written to the court recording the delay in Shoosmith conforming with the SAR and Request for Further information, plus a copy of the letter faxed/posted to the Information Commissioner. I appreciate your list of questions - I would like to pose them or rather my son would, but if Shoosmith say that quote "that if they "do not receive the sum of £6.908.67 by 4pm on the 28th December 2006 we will proceed to enter Judgement against you without further notice." what chance of asking questions or listing them in a defence? They write as though this case is alread closed and won - by them.

Libby, there was no mention of the £1900 reduction on your bill on the first

page of this thread-the total came to £5230. Difficult to know yet, but they

should have already included the sale of the car in your S.A.R - (Subject Access Request), but the £1900

may be a gross figure before they pay commission to the auctioneer-assuming

it was sold by auction [you should be told that too]. But even if they only

cleared £1600, that would bring the debt down to £3630, If that is the

case, then interest for a year should only be around £500 at 14% odd.

To get the Court to delay the case, you write to The Court asking for more time because the solicitors etc have been too slow in supplying you with the

details necessary to mount your defence. Show them the papers they have sent, plus detail some of the others they haven't yet sent-eg sale price of

the car and its final price after deductions. Also there appears to be no

final total bill that includes the reduction from the sale of the car, and that

the interest charges are all wrong therefore. Nor is it clear who owns the debt. And any other reason why it should be delayed that you can think of.

Hi lookinforinfo! I wrote a list earlier of what to do next.

What to do:

1 Add up charges from the On Line Statements – and include the balance of the 60 months insurance, gap and cover-all, and deduct from the total balance. The balance is the admitted amount.

2. Copy this to the courts and include the filled out statement of means and post with a covering letter.

I believe that the pdf file attached to the email from shoosmith today was actually sent to them directly from On Line, as this is the first showing of the sale of the car plus agents fees etc. I will print the files off an attach them to a letter to the court asking for more time in view of the documented delay by Shoosmith in supplying the information requested. Will the case then be held locally to us? The problem is my son needs to fill out the income and expenditure forms etc and he is working til late right upto Christmas Eve (every little helps!) and he is not living at home - it will be difficult to sit him down tomorrow to fill out this stuff, with his xmas targets buzzing :eek: - but i will text him and pin him down to a time allowing me to post everything off to the court tomorrow. :)

Working out time scales Libby, I realise that you will be better going to Coourt

on the 28th and asking then for the case to be put back. If the Judge says

no, at least you will be there in person to argue your case. if you do get a deferment, ask if you could have it transferred to your local Court please.

PS I wouldn't worry about the income/expenditure form too much. The Court will supply one there and he will have time to fill it up-it

shouldn't take long. He knows how much he earns and probably most of

the bills that he has to pay.

In other words don't waste your time writing, just go there on the 28th.

• Haha 1

Is there anyway I can look up this case number on the MCOL website to see if there are notes etc? I have read in other threads that the Northampton court is just where the dc's dump cases for quick clearance but that if it results in a hearing then it will be transferred to a court local to the defendant? am I mixing various bits of information up now?

Libby, I am sorry. I have misread the letters from Shoosmiths as that the

Court case will be heard on the 28th, not that they will commence proceedings at the end of the day.

You have not received a summons yet have you? There will be nothing online yet as Shoosmiths still haven't applied. And when they do, it will probably be about sometime mid January at the earliest before thae case can be heard.

Once again, sorry about the panic.

Might be worthwhile asking Shoosmiths for details of the Court Order that

they needed to repossess the car.

Have you received the T&Cs from anyone yet, so that you can see what

happens when things go wrong/

Thanks lookinforinfo - the only thing from the court was the Court Claim Form issued on the 16th which my son acknowledged. I didn't think this was set as a heaing date - but it did advise that there was 28 days in which to submit a defence - of course all the information was witheld for 28 days and we wrote to the court to keep them informed of the situation. A very poor copy of the Agreement was submitted, obviously v.small print but will pore over that and extract any of the T&C's that are relevant - i.e. letter charges or late payment penalties. Had to go off to get some sleep but woke up with all this in my head! Thanks for reading through all this and taking time to advise!:o

Well now that the request for information has been replied to, there is a bit of work to be done, but the main thing is the charges etc so at least there is a definite amount to contest. The T&C's need a thorough read through to - but I have just had to go and get the Christmas Dinner! Thanks so much for all the advice, I really do need and appreciate it!:o

Ok - that's a big help, I shall scan in in the morning, ready for son's arrival and he can do the reading through of the agreement's t&c's. thanks again will be back to update! Merry Christmas to you - all! :cool:

Libbyb....

Excuse me for not reading everything fully, I've got a thick head at the moment full of flu, and I'm even finding it difficult to look at a screen :-|

Is there actually a date set yet for a hearing, or have they not applied to MCOL yet ?

If there's a date, I can't find any reference in this topic to you applying to get the case moved to your local court, you should do this immediately, it'll give you a bit of breathing space to sort out the other details.

Nil Illigitimus Carborundum

Hi Libby,

Did your son have the payments taken from a bank account?

it so get your son's statements from the bank showing the payments to online, this should tally with their data (when u get it) and your son may well have a charges claim to make on the bank, a double whammy.

SHERLOCK

Hi again - son here now, we have printed of all the emails from shoosmiths and we ae going to send an email to shoosmiths and a letter to the court with all of the disagreements to the calculations that they have listed - (like interest on the insurance for whole cover and gap insurance that should have been cancelled upon termination of the agreement, surely?) I will cover all of this and will report back - we will also ensure that Northampton court are updated and ask that further proceedings be moved to the local court. thanks - Libby

Libby, I have asked before, but I now realise that it was a more important question that I thought at the time-did they get a Court Order?

Under the Consumer Credit Act -this is what section 90 says-

90.—(1) At any time when—

(a) the debtor is in breach of a regulated hire-purchase or a regulated conditional

sale agreement relating to goods, and

(b) the debtor has paid to the creditor one-third or more of the total price of the

goods, and

© the property in the goods remains in the creditor,

the creditor is not entitled to recover possession of the goods from the debtor except on an order of the court.

If they did not get a Court Order, and while it may be dependent on whether

your son did agree to them repossessing the car then section 91 says this-

91. If goods are recovered by the creditor in contravention of section 90 (a) the

regulated agreement, if not previous terminated, shall terminate, and (b) the debtor

shall be released from all liability under the agreement, and shall be entitled to recover

from the creditor all sums paid by the debtor under the agreement.

PS Before they can apply for a Court Order, they would have had to send your son a default notice.

Also found this on this url-http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/life/debt/credit.htm#Cancellingacreditagreement and the relevant part for you is this-

" If you have bought goods under a hire purchase or a conditional sale agreement (see under heading Types of credit) and have already made some payments, you can end the agreement by returning the goods. However, you may still have to pay any arrears and an amount of money which, when added to the amount of money paid already, comes to half the total price of the goods, if the agreement is regulated under the Consumer Credit Act (see under heading Regulated credit agreements).

So it does look as if your son has no need to pay them any more money. In

fact, they may well be trying it on to get more money out of him using scare

tactics, and do not intend to take him to Court at all.

If they are doing that, then maybe you should consider a visit to Trading

Standards............

With all due respect, if your local Trading Standards are like mine, I wouldn't bother.

My situation is not dissimilar to this one. (fairclaire V British credit Trust.)My car was reposessed without my consent or a court order after making three quarters of the payments and BCT still want another £2000 from me. Please read the thread for the whole story.

I initially contacted TS for help, before I knew this site existed unfortunately. They were lovely people but sadly very little help. Their advice in the end was not to take the illegal reposession any further in the hope that they would drop what I 'owe' them (even though legally I don't owe anything!). All this has done really is hold up any action I could take against them.

By all means try TS. Your local office may be of much more help than mine. Just thought I'd share my experience with you.

I am currently waiting patiently on a SAR from BCT which they have willingly took the payment for but so far sent me nothing.

Good luck with your situation. I will continue to read with interest as the advice so far has been veryinteresting and useful.

Anyway, forget about it all for one day and have yourself a lovely christmas.

• 3 weeks later...

My B/f and I have been spent an hour and a half looking for your page, how are things going? Sorry don't mean to pry! Wish you well and hope you resolve your son's situation soon.

Gilly xx

Nationwide - Initial letter 06 th Dec 06.

LBA 20th dec 06.

MCOL 05th Jan 07.

Paid in full 17th Jan 07.

Lloyds - S.A.R requested 12th Dec.

Acknowledged 20th Dec 06.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone, been away from my son's problems for a while, the reason is that there is absolutely no news whatsoever! Following my last post above we sent everything off to both the courts and Shoosmiths and up to today we have had absolutely nothing from anybody??? My son has gone through CCCS and has commenced a debt management programme, and they are making payments on his behalf - they have made one to Shoosmiths as the advisor has told my son that he doubts if there will be any reduction on the total amount even after court. I can't believe that it has all gone quiet but this is exactly how they conduct their business - they wrote one year saying they were taking back car and it took almost a full year to come after him for this money! I did contact the Information commissioner re the SAR and they sent a letter to us a month later saying it was now allocated to a manager - that was 18th January. Seems its only the baillifs that move fast in their 'industry'!

Hi again - got a letter today from CCCS advising that Shoosmiths are 'unable to accept the reduced payment proposal we have recently offered because a larger offer is required'. Shoosmith have written nothing other than an email just before close of business for Christmas - where are the court proceedings - we don't know what to expect - the longer it goes on the worse it feels. Should we write to them or let it take it's course through CCCS now??? Thanks for your kind message gillytilly..