• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

PPS/Gladstones/BW Windscreen PCN PAPLOC Now Claimform, - Not Parked In Allocated Bay - Premier Inn, Southernhay Exeter

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1022 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Probably best to reply as it's a Letter Before Claim.

------------------------------------

Dear Sirs,

as I've already told you on XXXXX and on XXXXX, as the world's second best parking company lawyers you must know that for someone to owe your client money there must be a breach of the unilateral contract's advertised terms and there was not.

Your client painting yellow lines all over the place after the event and pretending they were there at the time of the event doesn't create a contract, it is merely misrepresentation.

I'm sure that you will advise your client they are wasting their money even if it means no payday for you as you lose them the court claim should they continue with this folly.

By the way I have self-identified as a man so stop calling me Ms or I shall seek opinion on whether your distressing salutation is gender discrimination that is actionable

• Like 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• dx100uk changed the title to PPS/Gladstones/BW Windscreen PCN PAPLOC Now Claimform, - Not Parked In Allocated Bay - Premier Inn, Southernhay Exeter
  • 3 weeks later...

That looks good, you only need a short defence at this point.

You could stick a bit in about them inflating their claim to try to circumvent the small claims limit on legal fees and this is an abuse of process.

I've just read the thread from the start and am still not sure about your point (3).  Is it right that it was a hire car and only you were named as a possible driver?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

OK, for the moment then

1.  It is denied that the Claimant entered into a contract with the Defendant, or broke any such contract.

2.  As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was only contracted to provide car park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. Accordingly, it is denied that the Claimant has authority to bring this claim. The proper Claimant is the landowner.

3.  It is denied that the Claimant has complied with Schedule 4, Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 to establish keeper liability.

4.  The Claimant has inflated their claim to try to circumvent the small claims limit on legal fees and this is an abuse of process.

Point 1 is very generic and covers all bases.

To an extent it doesn't really matter if point 3 turns out to fail further down the line, you would simply ignore it and use other arguments.  However, under the terms of the lease, would a partner/friend/work colleague of yours have been able to drive the car, or just you personally?

• 4 months later...

Yes, you can use a lot of what you've found - well done!

You just need to order them into relevant sections.  One on locus standi.  One on the signage.  One on de minimis.  One on the Unicorn Food Tax.  Etc.

I haven't got time to read through the whole thread now, but promise to do so this evening when I knock off work.  Can you confirm however that you have photos of both before and after they painted in their lines?

• Like 1

OK, I've finally had time to read through the whole thread.

The points you've found are excellent.  I would suggest dividing your WS into sections with sub-headings, and then putting the appropriate points under each section.  For example -

Locus standi - they are not the landowner (can't see anything in their contract allowing them to sue rather than the landowner), lack of planning permission.

Signage - pretending to be BPA members (in contradiction of their WS point 5), other points you've made above.

Road markings - painting the yellow lines months later.

De minimis - you paid for your parking and obstructed no-one.

Double recovery/abuse of process - the £60 Unicorn Food Tax they have made up.

You have put in a load of research - well done!

It reads very well to me.  However, hang on till nearer the deadline before filing it, in case some of the regulars suggest some last tweaking.

In 10 I would add that the only evidence they have provided is an old contract from 2015 which does not seem to give them the right to sue under their own name (I've read it quickly and can find no such clause).

In 11, after "Exeter City Council" add "Lack of planning permission is a criminal offence and thus no contract can have been formed".

In 15 it should be "if those yellow lines had been present".

No problem in e-mailing it to the court.  Around when you do that, send the fleecers their copy by first class post and get a free Certificate of Posting from the post office.  

• Like 1

Hang on, I made a mistake re (10).  Under "Terms & Conditions" in the fleecers' contract in (2) there is written "the Client authorises the Company to take legal action to recover these excess charges if needed", so you can't argue they aren't authorised.

Instead point out it's an old contract from 2015 with no proof of renewal.

Plus, did you find out who the landowner is?  Is it this Hobstone Limited?

Superb news - your detective skills are second to none!

So it's impossible for the fleecers to have a valid contract with a company that doesn't exist.

So, after "no proof of renewal" in post 157 add "Indeed, the contract is with Hobstone Limited, a company which was dissolved in 2015, so the contract cannot possibly be currently valid".

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Sorry to hear things went badly.

As dx says, judge lottery unfortunately.

So you have to pay £200.  I imagine they were too stupid to deal with the case themselves and got a solicitor to do it for them.  Paying the solicitor plus the involvement of BW Legal will easily have cost £150, then they had £50 court costs to shelve out, meaning they didn't make a penny out of you.  As you say, ending up paying £200 is not much worse than £160, and I bet you have learnt a lot about the legal process which will set you in good stead for the future.

One small victory, they claimed £160 + costs, seems the judge allowed £100 + costs and at least disallowed the Unicorn Food Tax.