Bristow and Sutor Bailiffs - Council Tax - HELP please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2779 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello All

I'm currently at work and so I have no real time to look through the sticky threads on here.

I owe Council tax to the sum of £1200. I am currently applying for a DRO and have received the barcoded application, but I know that it will still take some time to be considered etc.

I have sent Bristow and Sutor my budget, prepared by CAB and also a copy of the DRO application. It was calculated that I could afford £10 per week and so I have been paying this by Standing Order to Bristow and Sutor. They keep refusing my offer :-( I literally cannot afford any more at this time.

Surely they can see that I have taken it very seriously having to go through the DRO route and that I am paying what I can afford. They have now set up a payment arrangement of £53 per week which I just cannot do.

Firstly, is there anything else I can do to stop them? I have been in touch with the Council, but they want to leave it to Bristow and Sutor.

Secondly, I received a notice to take control of goods. How do I stop all this? People are saying just don't answer the door, but can they force entry? Can they just come and take stuff?

Secondly, I received a notice to take control of goods. How do I stop all this? People are saying just don't answer the door, but can they force entry? Can they just come and take stuff?

The enforcement of council tax does not provide for forced entry into properties.

The notice that a bailiff will leave may well give the impression that goods can be taken in your absence (which most people wrongly believe means that when they come home they may find an empty property). What this notice means is that goods may be taken in your absence from OUTSIDE of your property.

Typically, such goods would be a motor vehicle, motorbike, caravan or expensive garden furniture of machinery.

In your particular case, you have not mentioned whether or not you have a vehicle. If so, how much roughly is it worth?

I am assuming that you intend to include the council tax arrears in your DRO?

The enforcement of council tax does not provide for forced entry into properties.

The notice that a bailiff will leave may well give the impression that goods can be taken in your absence (which most people wrongly believe means that when they come home they may find an empty property). What this notice means is that goods may be taken in your absence from OUTSIDE of your property.

Typically, such goods would be a motor vehicle, motorbike, caravan or expensive garden furniture of machinery.

In your particular case, you have not mentioned whether or not you have a vehicle. If so, how much roughly is it worth?

I am assuming that you intend to include the council tax arrears in your DRO?

Thank you so much for getting back to me.

Yes, I have an old 2004 Mondeo. I paid £230 for it some months ago.

The Council tax arrears are included in my DRO. I just hate that the Bailiffs seem to be ignoring all of my effort to show them my income/expenditure and seem to think I can magic money from thin air.

What would be your advise to me with regards to the future with them whilst I wait to see if my DRO is accepted?

Thank you so much for getting back to me.

Yes, I have an old 2004 Mondeo. I paid £230 for it some months ago.

The Council tax arrears are included in my DRO.

I just hate that the Bailiffs seem to be ignoring all of my effort to show them my income/expenditure and seem to think I can magic money from thin air.

Your car would not be of interest to the enforcement agent.

I can very well appreciate that the income & expenditure correctly exhibits that you only have around £10 per week disposable income. The problem is, that the vast majority of people that have unpaid court fines or a Liability Order for arrears of council tax are by and large, in an almost identical financial position as you.

You may be interested to know that when enforcement gets to the 'doorstep visit' stage, up to a third of all payments made, are via a 'third party' (friend or family member).