Dubai debt chased by CWD in UK

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2837 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I returned from Dubai in early March having left behind 30 000 AED debt on an FB credit card. 12/07/16

I received a letter from CWD advising me:-

"We have been instructed by our client to engage with you and to make arrangements for the repayment of your credit card debt to our client."

The debt is apparently now 47 000 AED.

I have to respond before 2nd August otherwise "a fixed legal charge of £1500 will be added to your account"

Also

"Once proceedings are commenced legal costs are charged on a time spent basis.

I left Dubai penniless and have overdrafts and credit cards in the UK, and have no ready cash whatsoever.

I am however a homeowner, which has a degree of equity.

Are CWD able to force me to sell my home to satisfy this debt?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

bottom line IGNORE

they are NOT bailiffs but a powerless DCA.

go read this thread

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?467270-First-letter-from-CWD-regarding-Dubai-debt.&p=4924920#post4924920

and use our search for CWD

you'll soon get:madgrin: the idea

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

If your Dubai credit card agreement allows a court anywhere in the world to be used to enforce the debt, then yes they could try a UK court claim. But then it would be up to UK court to decide whether to issue judgement against you and you would have opportunity to make small payments based on current affordability. They could not add £1500 fixed free plus other fees. That would be subject to UK rules and any Judge would look at the fees to make sure they were appropriate and within the rules.

If they managed to get a UK court judgement against you, the house would only come into the equation down the line, where you were failing to make small payments agreed. The claimant would have to nake further applications to the court, for which you would have opportunity to defend against.

Can i suggest that you write back to CWD asking for copies of all statements of account and a copy of the account terms and conditions written in English. Also advise CWD that you are having to seek debt help in the UK, as you have current UK debts, with little income to service them.

If you have UK debts as well, you should speak to National Debtline or Stepchange about your situation, so you understand what options you might have.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread