German Debt in UK?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2939 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there, first post here and I hope this is the right place.

I have a debt in Germany that I got from a mistake I made and it has since been sold on to a debt collector in Germany who are chasing the debt (from Germany).

I spoke to them about the debt and said I couldn't pay however they talked me into 3 monthly payments which I can't afford at this time due to being unemployed (recently lost my job, hopefully will be back in employment soon) but I want to work out exactly what they can and can't do.

The debt it's self is 68,40€ however they've added collection fees, (future) administration charges (I think it's what zukünftige Bezugsgebühren aus Verzug gem. §§ 280, 286 I BGB means), business fees and expenses which total 285€. I'll admit that it's my fault and if I had been informed I owed the 68,40€ I would've paid it however now I'm not in the position to pay the debt plus these expenses they've added.

I unfortunately have no information on the original subscription nor any cancellation as I didn't receive any mail from the paper in Germany, just the subscription itself nothing else. I know I don't have a leg to stand on and it was a mistake that I'd like to rectify but I can't pay at this time and they haven't understood that.

My main question is on the fees, what is and isn't enforceable from the UK standpoint as if I can pay the original debt which I believe is only 68,40€ then what should I do in regards to the rest or can I refuse to pay the rest on the basis of being unemployed at the moment?

Thank you for reading and I look forward to all responses.

totally ignore them

there is nothing they can do to you

even if you were in Germany

and even less now you are in the UK.

a DCA is NOT A BAILIFF

they have

NO SUCH LEGAL POWERS

stop giving them delusions of grandeur by phoning them too.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

totally ignore them

there is nothing they can do to you

even if you were in Germany

and even less now you are in the UK.

a DCA is NOT A BAILIFF

they have

NO SUCH LEGAL POWERS

stop giving them delusions of grandeur by phoning them too.

So there's nothing they can do?

Is there no way that it could escalate as while it's a small debt and the fees are outrageous

I've never experienced this before in the UK and most certainly not abroad,

I didn't realise that this was a done thing for a non-credit subscription.

Thanks for your response.

simply trying to fleece you.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

So there's nothing they can do?

Is there no way that it could escalate as while it's a small debt and the fees are outrageous

I've never experienced this before in the UK and most certainly not abroad,

I didn't realise that this was a done thing for a non-credit subscription.

Thanks for your response.

If they were really determined, they could try for an European Enforcement Order, by applying to a UK court. But i doubt they would bother, as the various collection fees for a debt of about £50 are dodgy. It is pretty unlikely they would pay UK court fees and if you disputed the debt with these added fees they would probably lose.

Suggest you ignore them. If you want to pay the original debt amount, settle it with the company you had an arrangement with, when you are able to so. Take into account the payments already made.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

simply trying to fleece you.

dx

This is what I'm thinking.

If they were really determined, they could try for an European Enforcement Order, by applying to a UK court. But i doubt they would bother, as the various collection fees for a debt of about £50 are dodgy. It is pretty unlikely they would pay UK court fees and if you disputed the debt with these added fees they would probably lose.

Suggest you ignore them. If you want to pay the original debt amount, settle it with the company you had an arrangement with, when you are able to so. Take into account the payments already made.

From research it appears that they're allowed under German law but I do agree that for the original debt being around the £50 mark, it's unlikely that it would be called upon in the UK through British courts.

I will be making an offer to the original company when I have an income once again as I think that's best as I'm not opposed to paying what's owed just the fees that I didn't think even the UK debt collectors charge.