EE Tracking app

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3032 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I hope this is the correct forum for this.

I noticed a couple of days ago that when I switched my mobile phone on a notification was appearing saying that Computrace Agent is safe. I wondered what this was as I had not downloaded this app and could find no trace of it on my phone by using the usual means.

I googled Computrace Agent and saw that it is a tracking application installed by EE so that if someone steals my identity and buys a phone from EE then they can block the phone that was purchased. Now I can't for the life of me work out why they need to track my phone and everything I do on it just so they can block one of their phones.

I have asked them what right they had to install that app on my phone, which by the way is mine and not under contract to them other than a monthly SIM card, but they cannot tell me. They also say it cannot be uninstalled except by wiping the phone completely and installing the phone manufacturers firmware, whatever that means.

Surely this is a breach of privacy in that EE can track whatever I do and wherever I go? I accept that people like Google do this all the time but I know that if I use Google; I did not know or ask EE for this app.

Any advice on how I can proceed with this as far as Data protection is concerned would be appreciated.

Thanks.