what constitutes a first offence? what will my likely outcome be?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3213 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If this involves Warrington-Wigan or Stockport-Manchester then you are on a very very dangerous path.

Ha ha ha, spoken like a true revenue enforcer!

How to intimidate and scare a new member in one short sentence, incredible!

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Ha ha ha, spoken like a true revenue enforcer!

How to intimidate and scare a new member in one short sentence, incredible!

Would you rather that firstclassx were to tell lies?

Maybe not what the OP, you, or Conniff would prefer to see posted, but in respect of those two routes in particular it is very true nonetheless.

Certain revenue at risk 'hot-spots' are being targeted and that includes observing the habits of regular travellers. Those two routes are not the only ones and I'm sure that we can all best help users by reminding them of the rules in force too

Would you rather that firstclassx were to tell lies?

Maybe not what the OP, you, or Conniff would prefer to see posted, but in respect of those two routes in particular it is very true nonetheless.

Certain revenue at risk 'hot-spots' are being targeted and that includes observing the habits of regular travellers. Those two routes are not the only ones and I'm sure that we can all best help users by reminding them of the rules in force too

There is a comedian who says 'it's the way I tell 'em'. To write words like "very very dangerous path." is pure scaremongering and taking pleasure from someone elses misfortune. What does "very very dangerous path" mean, is he going to get 10 years ?

There is a comedian who says 'it's the way I tell 'em'. To write words like "very very dangerous path." is pure scaremongering and taking pleasure from someone elses misfortune. What does "very very dangerous path" mean, is he going to get 10 years ?

I don't work in revenue protection but I took it to mean "OP MAY have been stopped this time having been observed to not buy a ticket previously".

While the OP shouldn't go volunteering info about previous ticketless travel, if they get caught claiming "it was my first offence, honestly!" to the TOC, they shouldn't expect an administrative outcome.

OP : Don't volunteer info, but be careful not to get caught in a lie. That's how I read it.

Ah yes, the rules! God forbid we bend those, as for the revenue enforcers, there are a lot, if not all, who

deliberately chase targets, and act with zero discretion.

However, back to topic!

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

I don't work in revenue protection but I took it to mean "OP MAY have been stopped this time having been observed to not buy a ticket previously".

While the OP shouldn't go volunteering info about previous ticketless travel, if they get caught claiming "it was my first offence, honestly!" to the TOC, they shouldn't expect an administrative outcome.

OP : Don't volunteer info, but be careful not to get caught in a lie. That's how I read it.

Precisely, anyone claiming it is their first time in that situation could become unstuck if they have become plain clothes targets over time.

You have to be entirely honest with VT and yourself. On those routes, fare evasion is as high as 1 in 3, so a lot of time and effort is being put into combatting the issue.

If it isnt your first time walking away, which it sounds like it isnt, then you really need to think about how you reply, because I imagine they already know!

Ah yes, the rules! God forbid we bend those, as for the revenue enforcers, there are a lot, if not all, who

deliberately chase targets, and act with zero discretion.

However, back to topic!

I don't work on the railways, let alone in revenue protection.

But, if a particular route has major fare evasion : why shouldn't the TOC target offenders, and why shouldn't they grant no discretion towards someone who appears to be a repeat offender & lies about it?

(Not saying this is the case for the OP, because although they've admitted to having not paid their fare before, no one is suggesting they should / would lie about it!)

Ah yes, the rules! God forbid we bend those, as for the revenue enforcers, there are a lot, if not all, who deliberately chase targets, and act with zero discretion.

As someone who has been directly involved in processing this kind of work for many years, I would be very pleased to see your clear evidence that, in relation to revenue staff "there are a lot, if not all, who deliberately chase targets" and your further clear evidence that such targets exist.

Where deliberate fare evasion is concerned only the words & actions of an alleged offender that are recorded in evidence of the offence, along with any hard evidence such as an invalid ticket, can be relied upon to prove the case.

I am firmly of the belief that we can all best help those who come to these forums seeking assistance if we stick to hard facts and evidence and avoid making unfounded allegations for the sake of it.

In many areas right across the national network a tightening of revenue protection activity through more thorough ticket checking and enforcement of long-standing rules is very evident.

This is partly in response to identifying evidence of increasing opportunistic fare evasion on some routes and partly a drive to improve re-education about the intending passenger's responsibilities when travelling, as well as making sure that TOCs improve availability of clear, accurate information and ticket purchase opportunities for the public before travelling.

I believe that in part, this has been an inevitable consequence of various recent reports, including that by TF earlier in the year highlighting the need to improve consistency in all areas across the system.

Ah yes, the rules! God forbid we bend those, as for the revenue enforcers, there are a lot, if not all, who deliberately chase targets, and act with zero discretion.

:sleep::focus:

Good idea rolleyes.gif

if a particular route has major fare evasion : why shouldn't the TOC target offenders, and why shouldn't they grant no discretion towards someone who appears to be a repeat offender & lies about it?

(Not saying this is the case for the OP, because although they've admitted to having not paid their fare before, no one is suggesting they should / would lie about it!)

It is a fact that more focussed revenue protection exercises are becoming very much more common in many areas and we can best help those who may consider travelling without valid tickets by encouraging them always to use the facilities that are provided to get one before travelling and to thoroughly investigate the savings that can be made legitimately, particularly by using weekly or season tickets where practical and buying in advance wherever possible.