• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Three at it again!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3324 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recently had the software for my 3 mobile connection updatedd / upgraded. I now find that every time you launch it to connect, it immediately overrides your default home page and goes straight to the Three website. I find this very annoying. I do not recall giving three permission to do this an wonder if I can do anything to prevent it happening.

Secondly while browsing the web, the Three website page will load without and interference from myself and override the webpage I am looking at. Has any one else had similar problems with their Three dongle?

Can't say I have this on mine - if you start the browsing session by connecting to the 3UK network, it will open the 3 Home Page by default. However if you have an existing web page in your browser this wi simply refresh, not change to 3.... unless you mean it opens up a new tap that is 3 related?) I do find their link yo My 3 useful, as it provides a reminder of what I've left to use up....

I am using Firefox and have since discovered that what is happening is that it is auto connecting every time it drops a connection which is very frequent. I never had this problem with the previous software. The updated version is worse than the old software! I also managed to change their default webpage anyway.

I dont use FF - ( I prefer IE8 with 3) however, I can see why the browsed does it, as in any other scenario a refresh on reconnection would be desirable. There must be an option to turn this refresh off, as years ago when using a cellular modem - which was supposed to drop the line when the usage stopped to save on connection costs - would re-establish the link without refreshing the page, and the user was none the wiser that they hadn't really been connected all the time!

• 1 year later...

Recently I got a monthly data only sim card from Three. I only have to give them a month's notice to cancel. I have not yet activated the card, but they are debiting my account for usage from the date I received it plus the month in advance. As I have not activated the card I am unable to go online and check the billing. I have no need to use the card at present, but will be using it next month.

Can they do this as I thought that they would only charge me from the time the card is activated?.

What do the terms of your contract state about when it starts? That will most likely provide you with a definitive answer.

Contracts can start in many ways: date of delivery, date of activation/registration, the date you commence using the service etc.

• 4 years later...

I have had a Mifi with Three for over 4 years. Initially I was in contract and when the contract expired they offered me another good deal if I signed up for another 2 years keeping the same unit.

Anyway just prior to the contract expiring on 05/05/2015 they tried to get me to sign up to a new contract with a new unit. Initially I accepted however I had second thoughts and returned the item well within the 14 days.

The normal debit of £5.29 went through at end of March and I expected a similar amount to be debited at end of April however they tried to debit my account in excess of £12 although I had the same unit and the contract was due to finish on 05/05/2015.

I contacted my bank and advised them that as per the DD Mandate H3G had not given me notice or sent a final bill therefore I could recall the DD. Unfortunately the bank jumped the gun and stopped the DD before it went out. H3G are now saying that they never attempted to debit my account and their collections department wants the £12 plus immediately.

I have asked for a final breakdown bill showing why I should be paying a higher amount but they just ignore my request and demand the outstanding money. I have already had two phone calls today and do want to be harrased and neither do I want a default against my credit rating which is clean.

Any advice on how to deal with these plonkers?

Edited by citizenB

I have had a Mifi with Three for over 4 years. Initially I was in contract and when the contract expired they offered me another good deal if I signed up for another 2 years keeping the same unit.

Anyway just prior to the contract expiring on 05/05/2015 they tried to get me to sign up to a new contract with a new unit. Initially I accepted however I had second thoughts and returned the item well within the 14 days.

The normal debit of £5.29 went through at end of March and I expected a similar amount to be debited at end of April however they tried to debit my account in excess of £12 although I had the same unit and the contract was due to finish on 05/05/2015.

I contacted my bank and advised them that as per the DD Mandate H3G had not given me notice or sent a final bill therefore I could recall the DD. Unfortunately the bank jumped the gun and stopped the DD before it went out. H3G are now saying that they never attempted to debit my account and their collections department wants the £12 plus immediately.

I have asked for a final breakdown bill showing why I should be paying a higher amount but they just ignore my request and demand the outstanding money. I have already had two phone calls today and do want to be harrased and neither do I want a default against my credit rating which is clean.

Any advice on how to deal with these plonkers?

It depends. It depends on how much you want to take the chance they register a default on your credit report and how much hassle (and how long) it will then take to get it removed.

You would no doubt get it removed, but it may cause you woes and stress ; would you consider (much as it may pain you to do it, and me to suggest it!) paying the £12 and then seeking it back?.

If they don't give it back, you can threaten them with legal action ; but I'm not sure a court would be impressed (even if you had the legal right, and moral high ground) with a claim for such a low amount.

The risk in fighting them on this (as you have identified) is a default on your credit report.

I'm not saying paying the £12 and then potentially letting them get away with it is right for you, or acceptable (why should they get away with it?), BUT which is the best for you? Fighting them, or saying "for the sake of the £12, it may not be worth it for ME, for me to fight them".

It is your judgement call.

Okay update. Three have been calling me several times a day and each time I ask them for a breakdown of the bill, they state that they will look into it but can I pay some money in the meantime. The latest phone caller told me that they are entitled to vary the amount to debit my account withour having to notify me.

Surely the DD Mandate states that they have to notify me at least 10 days prior especially if the amount to be debited is more than double the normal amount. On disputing this I was told I was wrong and was told they can

vary the amount at any time! Three state that if I want a bill I have to pay £2 for the privilage. I had Online billing, but when the contract finished I am unable to naccess the account. This is a VERY big problem with Online billing in that you can never get the last statement and they hold you to ransom. I had the same issue with Capital One and this practice places the consumer at a big disadvantage.

BTW does any one have the email or physical address for the CEO of Three as I want to write to them to complain about thsi diabolical treatment fo long standing customers?

They're very active and responsive on Twitter, I've used that a few times to resolve issues with success.

My views are my own and are not representative of any organisation. if you've found my post helpful please click on the star below.

• dx100uk changed the title to Three - When does a contract start?