Annual Gold Card

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3513 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Something a little bit different for the train experts this time - at least not a fare evasion, at any rate.

I have an annual Gold Card season ticket that allows me to travel from a station about 80 miles from London into London terminals every day. It costs about four and half grand - and runs from spring 2014 to 2015. Changes in my personal circumstances mean I am unlikely to need this card soon.

Though I can "cash it in", the rail company only count the first ten months of validity to work out a pro-rata refund. However, I am permitted apparently to change the "origin" station - where my train journey begins - for free, and the difference in fare is refunded on a 12 month pro rata basis. Still with me?

I have established that changing the validity of my gold card for a station much closer to London saves me more money than if I was to ask for a simple refund. There's nothing in the National Rail conditions of carriage or train company's T&Cs that stop me from doing this, so far as I can tell. So my question is: am I overlooking something?

Thanks for any insights!

Something a little bit different for the train experts this time - at least not a fare evasion, at any rate.

I have an annual Gold Card season ticket that allows me to travel from a station about 80 miles from London into London terminals every day. It costs about four and half grand - and runs from spring 2014 to 2015. Changes in my personal circumstances mean I am unlikely to need this card soon.

Though I can "cash it in", the rail company only count the first ten months of validity to work out a pro-rata refund. However, I am permitted apparently to change the "origin" station - where my train journey begins - for free, and the difference in fare is refunded on a 12 month pro rata basis. Still with me?

I have established that changing the validity of my gold card for a station much closer to London saves me more money than if I was to ask for a simple refund. There's nothing in the National Rail conditions of carriage or train company's T&Cs that stop me from doing this, so far as I can tell. So my question is: am I overlooking something?

Thanks for any insights!

I don't know.

However, it looks to me that you have found a "loophole" / anomaly in the system. If those are the TOC's rules, and your intent is not to evade a fare : go for it!

I'd wait until the industry experts comment, first, though.