statute barred in scotland

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3575 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi im needing advice on the only bad debt on my credit file

its small debt of 400 which is defaulted and has been brought by lowells ,now im aware of it being staus barred after 5 yrs as in in scotland ,that 5 yrs is in nov ,thing is my credit file is great at moment apart from that debt

what im asking should i make it status barred in nov or leave it other year and let it fall of my file?

if i do status barred does it stay on my file until 6 yrs are up which is nov 2016

If you have not acknowledged the debt in a 5 year period it will be Statute Barred, in Scotland the debt will then no longer exist, although debt collectors can still ask you for payment until you tell them you will not be paying it.

There is a template letter in the cag library for this but only send it if you are sure it,s Statute Barred.

As has been said the default will stay on your file for 6 years.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

If you have not acknowledged the debt in a 5 year period it will be Statute Barred, in Scotland the debt will then no longer exist, although debt collectors can still ask you for payment until you tell them you will not be paying it.

There is a template letter in the cag library for this but only send it if you are sure it,s Statute Barred.

As has been said the default will stay on your file for 6 years.

what happens if you send the letter and the debt is not statute barred?

it acks the debt.

pers i'd sit on this for a while unless you get any court docs.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

what happens if you send the letter and the debt is not statute barred?

Nothing the properly drafted letter does not acknowledge liability for the debt.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

There's a huge difference in Scots Law. One cannot merely be unable to bring an action in court as prescribed by the limitations act in England.

In Scots law" the obligation shall be extinguished"

Occurs to me that reporting a debt as in default when it is extinguished violates the requirement under the data protection act of data to be accurate.

Haven't been able to find any case law to either support or dismiss this argument, perhaps wiser people than I may be aware of such

There's a huge difference in Scots Law. One cannot merely be unable to bring an action in court as prescribed by the limitations act in England.

In Scots law" the obligation shall be extinguished"

Occurs to me that reporting a debt as in default when it is extinguished violates the requirement under the data protection act of data to be accurate.

Haven't been able to find any case law to either support or dismiss this argument, perhaps wiser people than I may be aware of such

Reporting "historic" data as it would be in this case would not be inaccurate the default occurred and the report of this remains on credit files for 6 years SB, paid or not paid.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide: