• Tweets

• Thank you for posting up the results from the sar. The PCN is not compliant with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4. Under Section 9 [2][a] they are supposed to specify the parking time. the photographs show your car in motion both entering and leaving the car park thus not parking. If you have to do a Witness Statement later should they finally take you to Court you will have to continue to state that even though you stayed there for several hours in a small car park and the difference between the ANPR times and the actual parking period may only be a matter of a few minutes  nevertheless the CEL have failed to comply with the Act by failing to specify the parking period. However it looks as if your appeal revealed you were the driver the deficient PCN will not help you as the driver. I suspect that it may have been an appeal from the pub that meant that CEL offered you partly a way out  by allowing you to claim you had made an error in registering your vehicle reg. number . This enabled them to reduce the charge to £20 despite them acknowledging that you hadn't registered at all. We have not seen the signs in the car park yet so we do not what is said on them and all the signs say the same thing. It would be unusual for a pub to have  a Permit Holders Only sign which may discourage casual motorists from stopping there. But if that is the sign then as it prohibits any one who doesn't have a permit, then it cannot form a contract with motorists though it may depend on how the signs are worded.
    • Defence and Counterclaim Claim number XXX Claimant Civil Enforcement Limited Defendant XXXXXXXXXXXXX   How much of the claim do you dispute? I dispute the full amount claimed as shown on the claim form.   Do you dispute this claim because you have already paid it? No, for other reasons.   Defence 1. The Defendant is the recorded keeper of XXXXXXX  2. It is denied that the Defendant entered into a contract with the Claimant. 3. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was simply contracted by the landowner to provide car-park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. Accordingly, it is denied that the Claimant has authority to bring this claim. 4. In any case it is denied that the Defendant broke the terms of a contract with the Claimant. 5. The Claimant is attempting double recovery by adding an additional sum not included in the original offer. 6. In a further abuse of the legal process the Claimant is claiming £50 legal representative's costs, even though they have no legal representative. 7. The Particulars of Claim is denied in its entirety. It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief at all. Signed I am the Defendant - I believe that the facts stated in this form are true XXXXXXXXXXX 01/05/2024   Defendant's date of birth XXXXXXXXXX   Address to which notices about this claim can be sent to you  
    • pop up on the bulk court website detailed on the claimform. [if it is not working return after the w/end or the next day if week time] . When you select ‘Register’, you will be taken to a screen titled ‘Sign in using Government Gateway’.  Choose ‘Create sign in details’ to register for the first time.  You will be asked to provide your name, email address, set a password and a memorable recovery word. You will be emailed your Government Gateway 12-digit User ID.  You should make a note of your memorable word, or password as these are not included in the email.<<**IMPORTANT**  then log in to the bulk court Website .  select respond to a claim and select the start AOS box. .  then using the details required from the claimform . defend all leave jurisdiction unticked  you DO NOT file a defence at this time [BUT you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 ] click thru to the end confirm and exit the website .get a CPR 31:14 request running to the solicitors https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?486334-CPR-31.14-Request-to-use-on-receipt-of-a-PPC-(-Private-Land-Parking-Court-Claim type your name ONLY no need to sign anything .you DO NOT await the return of paperwork. you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 from the date on the claimform.
    • well post it here as a text in a the msg reply half of it is blanked out. dx  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

PCN - Representations Info

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6314 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Just a quick question.

On the actual PCN (Borough Council), should there be clear and explicit details outlining the proceedure for making formal representations?

Should it be included with the methods of payment and should it state the FULL address?

Even if they supply details of representations on the Notice to Owner - shouldnt this info be displayed on the actual ticket?

Cheers,

James

Hi,

Just a quick question.

On the actual PCN (Borough Council), should there be clear and explicit details outlining the proceedure for making formal representations?

Should it be included with the methods of payment and should it state the FULL address?

Even if they supply details of representations on the Notice to Owner - shouldnt this info be displayed on the actual ticket?

Cheers,

James

It must have details of where to make informal representations and where to send the payment.

7 actions in progress

amount refunded so far £6500

Cheers for the reply. Could they term Informal as an "Enquiry"? "Enquiries regarding this Penalty Charge Notice ......"

sorry for harping on, I'm really unclear on how precise the terming needs tobe with this aspect of the PCN.

James

• 3 weeks later...
Cheers for the reply. Could they term Informal as an "Enquiry"? "Enquiries regarding this Penalty Charge Notice ......"

sorry for harping on, I'm really unclear on how precise the terming needs tobe with this aspect of the PCN.

James

Just to make things clear here is the actual wording of S66(3) RTA 1991

(3) A penalty charge notice must state—

(a) the grounds on which the parking attendant believes that a penalty charge is payable with respect to the vehicle;

(b) the amount of the penalty charge which is payable;

© that the penalty charge must be paid before the end of the period of 28 days beginning with the date of the notice;

(d) that if the penalty charge is paid before the end of the period of 14 days beginning with the date of the notice, the amount of the penalty charge will be reduced by the specified proportion;

(e) that, if the penalty charge is not paid before the end of the 28 day period, a notice to owner may be served by the London authority on the person appearing to them to be the owner of the vehicle;

(f) the address to which payment of the penalty charge must be sent.

The Dept. of transport guidlines which were issued to give giudance on how to administer the scheme can be found on the following link

http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_roads/documents/page/dft_roads_027631.pdf

If the PCn dosnt comply with the RTA Act it is non complient.

If it ignores the advice of the Dept. for transport it is liable to be challanged by the motorist.

Not having details about where to send informal representations and recording colour of car are contained in the guidlines and therefor render the PCN liable to challange but they do not make them automatically non complient as the RTA 1991 dosnt state they must contain them.

7 actions in progress

• 2 weeks later...

All, I'm now in recipt of all 4 of the Notice to Owners that I was due, all dont comply with the RTA 1991 (ref: appeals process, "your right to appeal a councils decision to reject).

Fingers crossed these will all get struck out round about the same time as each other and the council wont re-issue a load of correct ones!

I'll keep you posted!

Cheers for the guidance

James

All, I'm now in recipt of all 4 of the Notice to Owners that I was due, all dont comply with the RTA 1991 (ref: appeals process, "your right to appeal a councils decision to reject).

Fingers crossed these will all get struck out round about the same time as each other and the council wont re-issue a load of correct ones!

I'll keep you posted!

Cheers for the guidance

James

There is always the risk that they will re issue a correct NTO. In other forums on this topic some just ignore the NTO and when they get the notice that the debt has been registered make a statutory declaration using the NTO as evidence. This would take at least 4 or 5 months making the re issuing of another NTO even more dubious.

I personally dont like the idea. I have just had a non compliant NTO and have just sent it back appealing on the grounds that the contravention didnt occur as the NTO was not a proper NTO as it didnt comply with the RTA 1991. I didnt enlarge on it more than that. Hopefully they will reject this and I can follow the appeal procedure and the PCN will be struck out by the ajudicators and then they cannot re issue the NTO.

Ive just received another cancellation of a PCN 6 months after the formal representation stage as the PCN didnt have a Date of issue.

Admin error apparently.

7 actions in progress

• 1 month later...

Fella's I'm in difficulty here with my NtO/PCN appeal. So I contested the tickets and kicked off the NPAS procedure, sighting the NtO as being non-compliant with the RTA1991.

Now NPAS have written to me saying that they have sent the Council details of my argument and that the case will be heard a soon after 06/02/07

I have 3 tickets tied up in this at the moment. Basically the council appear to have re-issued the NtO adding on the missing info. (issuing after NPAS had recieved the evidence.

Firstly they issued an NtO for a contravention dated back in 30/08/2006 - the repsonse due date is 13/02/2007. the wording is still incorrect in respect to infomation on the Adjudicator.

My question is this: Isnt their a time table that they should adhere to?

Also, is it best to wait until the debt is registered and then use this as evidence? (Providing they dont change the wording)

Okay, now the real problem:

I have received 2 re-issues of the 3 PCN/NtO's that are with NPAS. They have changed the wording. Alleged Contravention on 25/08/2006 they want the response by 16/02/2007

And another Alleged contravention date 26/09/2006 - Repsond by 16/02/2007.

I'm assuming that NPAS will pass judgement on the matter before the expirey of these NtO's, does this mean that the NPAS case is null and void until I fill these revised NtO's in? Or will NPAS view the copies of the NtO's that I have already sent?

What should be done?

In case anyone is interested the council have simply put "If the Council rejects your representations you can appeal against the decision to the adjudicator who acts independently. If your representations are unsuccesful the letter you are sent will explain how to appeal" at the end of the orginal text.

Any thoughts?

James

Blimey

They arnt taking defeat very well are they.

If I was in your position I think I would.

1. Complain to NPAS about them re issuing NTO whilst the matter is still in dispute

2. appeal against the new NTO on any techinicality you can find and on the basis that they are abusing the process

3. Make official complaint against the parking manager to the CE of council.

4. Consider the local gvnt. ombudsman. They have been pretty useless when Ive complained but they do stick their noses in and cause a bit of nuisance.

5. If the re-issue NTOs do get to appeal there is one or two cases where an NTO issued late 6 months or so is likely to prejudice the motorist allthough in your case the fact that your fighting the originals probably puts the spanner in that a bit but its worth a go.

6. Have you asked for the Trafiic orders just to make sure they comply

All in all I think youve got some milage left in this yet and you havnt got a lot to loose really.

7 actions in progress

Cheers for the quick reply.

As a backup I am putting I am also appealing on the grounds that ticket had no adhesive (your advice), although I could only send them an example (eh-um), not the actual ticket for the day. Expressing that the voucher could not be expected to bbe amintained in the same positon in an exposed carpark over a 24 hour period. That even the opening and lcosing of my car door, or the wind outside could dislodge a cheap peice of pare from a rounded dashboard. Weak, I know, but I thought fight it on two fronts.

The PCn istself looks cotia.

I'm looking at the Notice of Rejection - which states that "You state that the Notice To Owner failed to comply withthe RTA 1991 , but give no further details. This may have been the case in early May but amendments were made after information provided by the adjudication service and cases sent to the adjudication after this date have been confirmed as correct. You state that the tickets are of poor design but would advise you that they are of standard design and the same as those issued by numerous authorities around the country and can find nothing wrong with them.

I'll complain to the adjudicator today.

but what happens with the case. They will look at my NTO that i signed then look at the new version of the NTO issued days after the NPAS notification and see that they sent another correct version. With regard to the appeals process statment, surely this is far to late in the day to notify me of my rights.

What would they have me do, fill in the correct one and send it back after the adjudication so they can kick it off again?

Is it likely that an adjidicator would look dimly on this behaviour? as it does seem to be a little unfair.

Cheers for the guidance, I'll get looking at the 28 day time scales they have given me on things their correspondence.

James

Re the flimsy ticket.

The NPAS case is in this link.

If you use this defence I think you are going to have to convince NPAS that you purchased the ticket and it was so flimsy it fell off. may be difficult X 4 but its another possibility.

http://www.parking-appeals.gov.uk/about/cases/MC00227%20Hepworth%20Allowed%20flimsy%20P%20&%20D%20ticket%20-%20identity%20removed.doc

7 actions in progress

I'm done for.

I use the carpark for work, so I'm using over 200 days a year. So 4 days out of 200 isnt bad, or unreasonable, assuming that they patrol the car parks daily.

mmmh, Do they NtO's have to state the Road Traffic acts that they stat on the PCN?

Pcn states Road Traffic Act 1991 (as amended) sections 43, 66, 76,77 Schedule 3 & schedule 6

the NTo, just states Road Traffic Act 1991 (as amended)

No date of Issue? hahahahaha just Date of Notice at the Top then "was seen in ****** from 15:43 to:15:48 on 26/09/06

and another Date of Notice at the botton tear off slip.

desperate times!

James

Not sure about the date of notice / issue. I was under the opinion that date of notice was sufficient provided there was also a date of contravention which there appears to be.

Its probably a good idea to have a good read of justice jacksons judgement on this.

Als bar V Wandsworth is also another good read.

These can all be found if you use google search.

I personally think you have a good chance on the basis that they have abused the process by re issuing before the others have even been to NPAS. The problem with NPAS is they are not a court and make some inconsistant decisions. Just have to take your chance.

7 actions in progress

Sorry, I was joking.

I'll do as you advise....hopefully the the length of time it took to issue "official" NtO and that the first ones they issued didnt offer the advice with regard to the appeal process they ought to of.

Cheers for the guidance, I'll let you know how I get on.

James