Reversing across a NO ENTRY line

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3596 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I got caught reversing a few yards into a space which was just inside the end of a No Entry road whilst picking kiddies up from school. Mobile camera unit spotted me. -No excuse, I committed a sin and got a £65 fine.

Few days before the fine came through the post I spotted a Council Refuse truck (Bin lorry) not only reversing over the same line, but carried on reversing a further 300 yrds past a school entrance where mums and dads were picking their kids up.

I complained to the Council that they shouldn't be fining me for going a few feet when allowing their own to go 300 yds further especially past a school gate when kids were coming out....

I didn't get my money back, they didn't say much other than the driver will be spoken to. I paid my £65 and thought no more about it.

Few days ago, sitting outside the school waiting for the Grandson the same thing happened and the Bin truck reversed the full length of the road.

This time I want to bite back because it was dangerous apart from anything else and I get sick of Councils dishing out these fines willy nilly when turning a blind eye themselves to their own. So,

Can anyone tell me if the Road Traffic Act or any other such rule or regulation ALLOWS Council Trucks to reverse the wrong way up and down roads at their whim?

I can accept the main Services Police, Fire Trucks and Ambulances, but Bin Men!!??? No way.

Anyone know?

Thanks

Andrew1

There is no rule - except that it is one rule for us and no rule for them.

I expect that this is what they do regularly.

I suggest that you turn up at the same time a few more occasions and video it. Then come back here

It would depend on any exemption contained in the specific traffic regulation order which imposes the one way system, rather than a general exemption in the Road Traffic Act (or more likely Road Traffic Regulation Act). Most TROs have a clause which exempts waste disposal vehicles from parking restrictions, for obvious reasons, but AFAIK they're not generally exempt from one way systems.

Thanks Aretnap, I'd agree with the parking for as you say, the obvious reasons...but reversing up (it's an incline) the wrong way is pure laziness TBH.

There is no reason other than the time it takes, to do exactly what all other law abiding citizens have to do and approach the road from the top end of the road and drive the correct way down it. I'll go take a look at the specific Road Traffic regulations if I can find them for the Borough concerned.

This is all helpful and the more 'law' specific I can make it the better.. Thanks