Jump to content

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2493 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Hi folks, I,m not sure if this is the right place for this post. Anyway, I have a question,

I have severe back problems and due to this I am more or less bed bound. I have seen a Neurologist who recommended that I have an Orthopaedic mattress, this is in writing btw.

I therefore asked my GP if I can get this on prescription, he had no idea.

Has anyone on here any advice as to how to go about this, if it is at all possible?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's some info:- http://www.nhs.uk/nhsengland/Healthcosts/pages/Prescriptioncosts.aspx


Also contact organizations related to your illness, they may have schemes in place. e.g.



Edited by Conniff
Oops, clicked button on wrong post
Link to post
Share on other sites

I certainly hope there is some help out there for you, ours cost us over £700.



If you do find what you are looking for, can you come back here and update your thread with it please.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Another angle for you since you have a letter from the hospital recommending this is to contact you local councils social work dept to speak to the Occupational Therapy Department.


Explain about the letter first and how you go about this and if necessary request an occupational therapy assessment and when they come out give then a copy of the letter.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks. I contacted to council Adult Care Services. They told me to go to the District Nurse! I,ll try the nurse first on Monday and see what she says.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyway, here is an update. I contacted the Adult Carer Service at the local council. They said I need to go through the District Nurse. I contacted this Lady. The Nurse tried for a week to investigate where I can get hold of one. She has just called me and said that the NHS does not supply them. So what this consultant is on about I do not know.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Olaf - to the best of my knowledge, neither the NHS nor social services will supply you with an ordinary domestic orthopeadic mattress. It is the same type of scenario that I was once recommended to put a couple of house bricks under the head end of my bed, to help acid reflux - the NHS did not supply the bricks.


Unless you qualify for help from any charity, I think you will have to buy your own.


Sorry this isn't what you want to hear.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...