Sixt is charging £338 plus £16 admin fee for car rental damage

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3621 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I believe that Sixt is trying to rip me off.

The facts were as follows:

- The rental was for one day for £30

- I did not take the overpriced insurance.

- The car was scratched / scuffed / damaged all over.

- On return, the car was extremely thoroughly checked (delaying me needing to go to work)

- Some non-recorded damage was found.

- It was minor scuffing to the wheel arch.

- I was asked to sign to check in - I did without being told what I was signing.

- Having been informed by email, I complain to the full extent.

- Several weeks later I received a bill for £338 for repair.

- I have checked their terms and conditions.

- The terms say that I am responsible for the "reasonable cost" of repair unto the excess for damage while in my possession.

- Sixt say that I signed it in and out and that I am liable.

- I have asked for evidence (10 that the repairs are or will be carried out, (2) a discount will be applied because of the the extensive cosmetic work required on the whole car, (3) the cost of the repair they claim is reasonable.

- I have received no reply to this but weeks later (after my interim chasing) a further "reminder" to pay the £338 plus a late payment charge came through.

My view is that (1) the likelihood is that I did not cause the damage, and (2) the charge is excessive.

The whole process defeats the purpose of a convenience hire of a car local to me for the day for a short trip. A car hire cost of £28 with a bill of £338.

I am also of the view that their contract and practices may be in breach of unfair consumer contracts legislation.

I appreciate that I may be in a weak position re: their checking process and documentation. but my sense is that there is a possibility of sharp practice going on.

I am minded to charge Sixt for my admin time - which as a busy professional is likely to significantly exceed the amount they will recover from me if successful in their claim.

Has anyone else had similar experiences of Sixt?

I had used them previously - mainly outside the UK - and found them to be excellent, with great cars, reasonable rates, smooth processes and polite employees. Sadly, I am unlikely to use them again.