Faulty Tablet Computer bought from Argos

OldDebt_Weary
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3628 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I am not new to the CAG but new to this particular forum.

As a living, I repair and maintain computers. Recently, a customer passed to me an Asus Transformer Pad tablet, which she'd purchased from Argos in December 2012. Since she bought it, she has already had it repaired twice and now it has failed a third time and won't power up.

In the course of my work, I have to make judgements on whether hardware is worth repairing, given its history and the cost involved. In the case of this tablet, based on its age and the fact that it is now facing a third repair, I would classify it as defective, and then attempt to get some form of compensation for the owner from the retailer, in this case, Argos.

I have spoken to Asus themselves who were less than helpful, telling me that my only real option is to have it repaired - again. But as far as I am concerned, a line has been crossed here and I don't see the point of throwing good money after bad.

So, my question here really is: do I have any way here of using the Sale Of Goods Act, if I were to take this matter to Argos and demand they do something? I have documentation from the owner to substantiate the repairs, plus there is Asus's service record as well but as I see it, this is far from being clear-cut.

If it were my tablet, I would try to get some form of compensation from the original retailer, but I was wondering if anyone here has had any similar experience with computers bought from Argos and how they got on.

Thanks.

Hi Old-Debt

Good to see your going the extra mile. How did she pay for it? If she paid by Credit Card, she could seek to claim from her Credit Card, a Section 75 claim. She has had previous repairs with a further fault.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/section-75-of-the-consumer-credit-act

The product is covered by the SOGA, she would have to get a report as to the fault and claim that back from Argos, Argos should replace or refund the product. Don't accept a repair.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/sale-of-goods-act

Further info in 10 and 12 in my signature.

Thank you very much Rebel11, for the prompt reply and very useful information.

I have had a written response from Asus themselves, who place the responsibility squarely on Argos, which seems reasonable to me. I guess this means I would have to get a report from Asus detailing not only the current problem, but the product's repair history, and then take all this to Argos, together with a claim for the item. After that, presumably Argos would have to take the matter up with their own supply chain.

The tablet was bought with an Argos Store Card, which presumably comes under the Credit Card legislation you referred to. If so, then clearly that is another line of attack.

I see this faulty hardware situation quite regularly in my line of work and I get pretty disgusted with the attitude of manufacturers who make these shoddy goods, so I always try and get the customer something back for all the hassle they have to put up with. Usually, I deal direct with hardware suppliers but dealing with a reseller makes it all a bit more complicated!

Anyway, thanks again.

Hi Old-Debt

Another option is to write a Formal Letter of Complaint mark it as such. Explain what's happened (product has had three faults - 2 repairs), how they have let you down (quality of product) and what you want them to do (replace/refund).

Send it to:-

Mr John Walden

Chief Executive

Home Retail Group

[email protected]

Have you/the customer even spoken to Argos yet?

The customer has had several contacts with Argos regarding previous repairs, but we have been deliberating the best way to approach, either them or the manufacturers. In my experience, Argos are not noted for their helpfulness in these situations, so I want to be sure of my facts before I go charging in there!

Thanks again. Yes, that would certainly be a course of action to take at some point, but I think I should perhaps go through a complaint process first, although I can see the advantages of going straight to the top! I will see what Asus suggests about getting me a full report on the tablet and then take it from there.

Thanks.

Hi Old-Debt

Another option is to write a Formal Letter of Complaint mark it as such. Explain what's happened (product has had three faults - 2 repairs), how they have let you down (quality of product) and what you want them to do (replace/refund).