My other half vs Halifax - Help please!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6274 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi There,

I need some advice on my girlfriend's case with Halifax. Basically, we decided to try and re-claim back from Halifax £1872.00 worth of charges on her account over the course of 18 months. The account had a £200 overdraft on it, and because we were going through some financial problems, we decided to open a account with another bank. Now the account is £852.00 overdrawn and they've sent it to DCA for the arrears to be paid. However, I have a first letter with schedule of charges on the 13/10 and they replied with a standard letter relating to charges for their Credit cards instead of actually replying to our case. I then sent a letter back last week asking why the sent the wrong letter to us

My questions are:

1. Can we still claim, even though the account is with a DCA, and shall we keep paying back the arrears?

2. If we can go ahead, shall we now send a LBA or shall we give it another week?

Thanks for your help!

Guest bluecloud

Your next course of action is to send a letter to the Debt Collection Agency and placing the account in dispute.

Re. Halifax Current Account No.: xxxxxxxx

Dear Sir/Madam

I refer to your letter dated xx/xx/xx.

The account you refer to is in dispute.

This account will remain in dispute until such time as I am fully satifisfied that the matter is closed. I would like to point out that the dispute is between myself and HBOS plc and as such I will direct all correspondance to them and not involve your company.

Thank you for you time and understanding in this matter.

Yours faithfully

It's short and to the point but it leaves noone in doubt.

At the same time, keep a very close track on the number and value of further charges applied by the bank - your schedule of charges can be added to until the day you file your claim at Court.

If you have an existing arrangement to clear the arrears you must keep the payments going in - it shows the Court (should it go that far) that you are keeping to agreements made.

If your timetable above is accurate, then you can assume that the bank received the letter no later than the 15th October. 14 days have now passed and so the LBA is due. When it comes to responding to letters, the Halifax are all over the place. Sometimes they answer, sometimes they don't. Sometimes you wonder if they even read your letters what some of the rubbish that is spewed. Keep a careful eye on what is sent to you and if you have any doubts, post another message.

I'm slighty worried that after two and half weeks that we haven't heard anything back from our friends at Halifax. Surely they would have got back to us by now???!!! However, I sent a LBA the other day so that might speed them up a bit!

• 2 weeks later...

Right, ok. Fourteen days after the LBA will pass tomorrow. They haven't even sent me a reply, nothing to say they're looking into it, no offer nothing!! Shall I give them another chance, or is it Court time? Please advise?

Hi Gary

Don't worry that you haven't heard anything. Stick to YOUR timescales and go ahead with your MCOL. If you hadn't paid money into your account to cover a DD, would Halifax think to extend your deadline? No Chance! Lol!!

We'll all be here if you need any support/ advice as I got a bit panicky when I got to this stage. You will be fine!

xox

Springer :p

It seems that ignoring the problem is Halifax's policy, I sent my initial request to them nearly two weeks ago and I haven't received a reply yet, well on Monday I'll be sending them the letter before action, let's see if that gets there attention

If what we say helps you, then please tip the scales.:cool:

• 1 month later...

OK - As Christmas is now out of the way. I think it's time to proceed with the claim. Do you know if I'll able to start court action, Even though I send the LBA in November last year? and till this day I still even had a reply from Halifax.

Advice please!

Thanks

Gary105

Don't know if this helps but I sent my LBA on 21st November and filed my claim in the county court yesterday. I know I read of someone on this forum who couldn't afford the charges and had to wait and they had a positive result so I did it anyway. And I didn't have to pay costs as I get WOrking Tax Credit.

;)Halifax £1,240.00 - Preliminary Letter sent 6/11/06

:???:Standard reply received 8/11/06

:pOffer received 11/11/06

:rolleyes:Offer rejected 21/11/05 and LBA sent

:wink: Claim filed in County Court

• 3 weeks later...

Also, I just found out that the account in question has restictions on it. How will the money be paid if the account has a 'Enquiry Service only'. it's basically means I can't transfer the money out of the account.

Help!

im not sure where i read it, but apparently you can ask it be paid to another account.

I will have a look around and see if i can find the thread i read.

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

I have just copied this from another thread. It comes from a mod, so i hope this helps.

To be honest, if you owe them more money than they owe you in charges, you do not have a case to ask for payment by cheque. The fact that they took your benefits is irrelevant, at some point you must have borrowed money from them.

If on the other hand, the charges reclaimed more than cover your o/d (authorised or not), they can still pay the money in your account, and you can then withdraw the difference.

If you're in debt with them, I am afraid they have every right to reclaim that from you. I'd be very careful about taking this to a judge.

F&Q's... Read here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

I'm confused.com!! and now very very worried. The amount of charges we paid is £1872.00 and the account is overdrawn by £850.00. I've already gone to MCOL stage (which was filed on Monday). So does this mean that we're not going to win this??!!

Please help!!!!

It means that they will pay into your account, but it will clear your od first and you will have the remaining free. Red fox thread is a little bit similar, might be worth you having a look.

F&Q's... Read here