I used the wrong Oyster card by mistake

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3280 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Sammy,

I'm glad your problem was resolved. I'm in the same position as you unfortunately.

I have recently moved houses to a new area, and I do not know my way around. First day back at work after moving out I woke up a bit later than usual, and fearing I would be late I took a random oyster from the table and ran out the house.

I got on my first bus, and the bus driver gave me a v odd look.. I was slightly confused but hey ho.. I then got off , topped up my oyster £10 and got my second bus.

Again, the bus driver had given me an odd look! He called me back and decided to let me go. I was extremely confused, what was happening?

A ticket inspector came on my bus and he came to me and that's when I realized I had taken my daughters 16+ Oyster card by accident. I was shocked and embarrassed, it was in the same case as mine!

I had picked it as I thought it was mine. He took my details down and started shouting at me. I recently received a letter in the post saying they may prosecute me and I have 10 days to write my side of the story down.

I got my daughter to do this as my handwriting is unreadable lol, I also attached a picture of the Oyster card I was intending on using. I am seriously terrified something bad is going to happen.

I made it extremely clear in the letter that I believed the bus drivers were also in the wrong!! They should have not let me on the bus as I was using a 16+ oyster.

I'm really scared now, does anyone have any advice for me? :-( many thanks

Edited by honeybee13

Any Advice anyone!! Freaking out :( cannot sleep. So worried something will happen

Hello again. Sorry you haven't had any replies yet, it's school holidays and the weekend so things are quieter here.

Have you had a letter from TfL yet? I imagine it was their Oyster card, was it?

In terms of what might happen, it's hard to say, but you could have a read around this forum for similar problems.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hello again. Sorry you haven't had any replies yet, it's school holidays and the weekend so things are quieter here.

Have you had a letter from TfL yet? I imagine it was their Oyster card, was it?

In terms of what might happen, it's hard to say, but you could have a read around this forum for similar problems.

HB

Yes I received it last Wednesday. Sending it off tomorrow as I didn't have time to photo copy my oyster .it says that I may be prosecuted. I'm honestly terrified, this is the first time something like this has happened to me :(

Yes I received it last Wednesday. Sending it off tomorrow as I didn't have time to photo copy my oyster .it says that I may be prosecuted. I'm honestly terrified, this is the first time something like this has happened to me :(

So can you tell us what the letter says please?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi missap123

I don't think you have anything to worry about, they have asked you to write your side of the story. There are lots of key information that they can check that stand in your favour. Firstly, your previous record - misuse of cards, secondly, your daughter lives with you and thirdly you have an Oyster card. They can also check that the same journey has been made before. I would send the letter Recorded Delivery.

So can you tell us what the letter says please?

HB

Yes, here is the whole letter:

'Dear Madam,

On Monday 7th April 2014 at 7:19am you were reported to transport for London for failing to produce a valid ticket, pass or photo card for your journey on a bus. The facts of this incident are being considered and I must advise you that legal proceedings may be taken against you in accordance with transport of London's prosecution policy.

If you have any comments to make about this incident please write them on the reverse side of this letter and return the whole letter in the free post envelope provided within 10 days.

If you had been unable to produce a pass because you did not have it, please enclose a photocopy of that pass with your reply.

You do not have to reply to this letter but It may harm your defence if you do not mention something now which you may rely on in court. Anything you do provide in writing may be used as evidence.

Failure to respond to this letter may result in the matter being progressed by the transport for London without further notification

Yours sincerely

Area 1 investigations team

Hi missap123

I don't think you have anything to worry about, they have asked you to write your side of the story. There are lots of key information that they can check that stand in your favour. Firstly, your previous record - misuse of cards, secondly, your daughter lives with you and thirdly you have an Oyster card. They can also check that the same journey has been made before. I would send the letter Recorded Delivery.

Thanks! I think I am worrying too much. This has never happened in my family, we have a clean record, none of us have ever committed any sort of crime!! I think it's come as a bit of a shock

Hi missap123

Make you points clear and concise, the points I mentioned can all be checked, your daily trip to work on your own Oyster card should tell them that you are telling the truth. I wouldn't go overboard on errors by their employees, mention their errors but in a polite way. The employee who shouted at you shouldn't have.

Thanks! I think I am worrying too much. This has never happened in my family, we have a clean record, none of us have ever committed any sort of crime!! I think it's come as a bit of a shock

Hi missap123

Make you points clear and concise, the points I mentioned can all be checked, your daily trip to work on your own Oyster card should tell them that you are telling the truth. I wouldn't go overboard on errors by their employees, mention their errors but in a polite way. The employee who shouted at you shouldn't have.

So what do you think will be the worst thing that happens?

Hi missap123

We have guys who work in the industry who could answer that question, they aren't around at the moment, but even then there are no guarantees as to the outcome. I think you need to stop thinking of the worst scenario and stop worrying. Get that letter sent off.

So what do you think will be the worst thing that happens?

Hi missap123

We have guys who work in the industry who could answer that question, they aren't around at the moment, but even then there are no guarantees as to the outcome. I think you need to stop thinking of the worst scenario and stop worrying. Get that letter sent off.

Thanks so much :-) I honestly feel silly for worrying so much. Thank you for a your help :)

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks. I've sent the letter off today. Praying for good news

Hi all.

Just got a new letter from TFL titled 'travel irregularity'. Long story short, the letter basically said 'thanks for your letter, but you should check your oyster before you board the buses. We may still be taking legal proceedings against you. (Which they probably will)'

What should I expect now?? Shall I do anything or wait for another letter? Thanks!

Hi missap123

Did you send a copy of your Travel Card.

You'll just have to wait and see what they do, but don't panic.

Hi all.

Just got a new letter from TFL titled 'travel irregularity'. Long story short, the letter basically said 'thanks for your letter, but you should check your oyster before you board the buses. We may still be taking legal proceedings against you. (Which they probably will)'

What should I expect now?? Shall I do anything or wait for another letter? Thanks!

Hi missap123

Did you send a copy of your Travel Card.

You'll just have to wait and see what they do, but don't panic.

Hi,

thanks for replying. Yes I sent a copy :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...