On benefits but want to make a few craft items.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3613 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I make a few craft items and would like to sell them to

A get some of the money back I have spent on the items to make my work with

B to buy more craft items.

There is NO profit in what I make/sell I make them to help with my depression as well as my arthritis, I try to keep my hands as mobile as possible otherwise they stiffen up.

I am in the WRAG group and afraid this will affect how they view me as being able to work as well as affecting my benefits.

I am only talking a few items a week - but I realise I will need to tell the DWP.

IS what I am doing a no no - will they think me fit for work or say what I make is profit so take it off my benefits.

I have got all the receipts from the stuff I buy, so if they checked they can see I spend more than I sell anything for.

I don't intend to make or sell items every week, (it is all down to my mood) but when feeling OK I find it therapeutic.

Just worried for what I make with no profit it might not be worth the hassle.

You should probably, as an ESA claimant, look into Permitted Work as a self-employed person. You could earn up to about £100 per week without it affecting your benefits (you can do this for up to 52 weeks) or earn up to £20 per week for an indefinite period.

I'm not entirely sure how this works for a self-employed person, though. It seems likely that only profit would count (that is, minus the cost of your materials) and it might be worth mentioning this to JCP.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

You should probably, as an ESA claimant, look into Permitted Work as a self-employed person. You could earn up to about £100 per week without it affecting your benefits (you can do this for up to 52 weeks) or earn up to £20 per week for an indefinite period.

I'm not entirely sure how this works for a self-employed person, though. It seems likely that only profit would count (that is, minus the cost of your materials) and it might be worth mentioning this to JCP.

Thanks Antone.

I am worried they will try to make me go self employed, which is what they did when I mentioned I liked to make things.

If I sat up 24/7 every day under the sun I could not make enough to money to feed me let alone anything else.

Neither could I cope with running a business - so I guess I am worried this is the road they will try and push me down again because at 57 the chances of getting real work (coupled with my illness are not that rosy).

I do not want to do anything underhand, the risk of losing benefits is not worth it, plus I would not be comfortable doing that, but making the odd thing does help me, just not sure how understanding /flexible the system is.

:Lily_Monroe:

A helpful factsheet about permitted work for claimants of employment n support allowance;

http://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/work-people-living-disability-or-health-conditions

Appendix at the end of the factsheet explains how to calculate self employed earnings from permitted work.

You don't need anyone's permission to try permitted work, but you do need to complete a very simple PW1 form. Advisers often clutch at turning hobbies into self employment. But so long as your craft work can be done within your claimed limited capability for work, neither Jobcentreplus nor their minions can push you into doing more than you can cope with.

Best wishes, Margaret.

:Lily_Monroe:

A helpful factsheet about permitted work for claimants of employment n support allowance;

http://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/work-people-living-disability-or-health-conditions

Appendix at the end of the factsheet explains how to calculate self employed earnings from permitted work.

You don't need anyone's permission to try permitted work, but you do need to complete a very simple PW1 form. Advisers often clutch at turning hobbies into self employment. But so long as your craft work can be done within your claimed limited capability for work, neither Jobcentreplus nor their minions can push you into doing more than you can cope with.

Best wishes, Margaret.

Thanks Margaret.

I will look at that.

Have to say I have been very fortunate with ALL of the people I have seen under my ESA obligations both at the JC and the WP providers.

But, I realise things can always change, so I am only wanting to keep my mind and fingers active within the confines I can cope with.

I am one of those people who wished benefits were a little more flexible and allowed you to do things as and when able, a bit of extra money is always welcome (but it does not mean I want to rip the system off) but neither do I want to be afraid every time I sell an item not just about the odd £1 but being seen as fit to work.

I am trying very hard to not let my illness define who I am - but I am always worried.

Thank you again much appreciated.