A pup of a van, and now this....

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3732 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Bought a Van in November last year (2013) It was from a dealer (Van hire place that sells cars and vans from the front lot.) Paid £2400 for it, and while not expecting a pristine machine, as it had 122,000 miles on its diesel engine, I did expect a reasonable runner capable of doing what a van is supposed to do.

Ran for a month, broke down. (Would drive ok when started, but once stopped overnight, or allowed to cool down, forget it.) Last usable day was 20th December 2013.

Returned to the dealer, who said to take it to his preferred garage.

I did this, and after two weeks, they charged me £160 for the privilege. Next day, van wouldn't start. The "preferred" garage said that they weren't interested. Tried the dealer, failing to return my calls now.

I took it to another garage. The list of things they found wrong were...

Glow plugs faulty, and the wiring to them had been cut.

Fuel system incorrectly plumbed in, causing flowback(???)

Generally dirty fuel system.

Injector rail completely useless.

Compression low on all cylinders (Although they put a camera down the bores, and say they look okay.

I've paid over £1000 getting all this repaired, and still the same thing.

And to put icing on the cake, I've found that the tax disc is from another car!!!

What redress do I have?

Thanks.

Glow plugs faulty, and the wiring to them had been cut?!?! (didn't you realised this when you opened the bonnet?)

Fuel system incorrectly plumbed in, causing flowback?!?! (nearly impossible, more likely fuel pump defective)

From your description I would think that once addressed these first two faults if still not starting ok, then you should look at the turbo.

Had same problem on my van.

I bet the dealer will claim that all these faults are wear and tear and the glow plugs wiring had been cut by someone else in the month you had the van (maybe the last garage you went to?)

Well, not being a mechanic, I wouldn't even know where / what glowplugs are, less know that wires were supposed to be attached. I did mention the fact that four "plug like things" seemed to be standing bare from the engine when I took it to the dealers garage, but they said they didn't matter.

As to the "flowback" that actually seemed to be a reasonable thought at first. What happens is that it runs like a train WHEN you get it started, but overnight / after a few hours, it will just turn and turn until the battery is flat.

I'd love to look at the turbo, but alas, it doesn't have one, lol.

Given that the dealers garage "don't want to know", and he's running and not answering his phone, and the fact that it's been confirmed he sold the van with a dodgy tax disc, he pretty much admitting his guilt.