Parking in a shopping centre

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6354 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi I am new here so hope you can help me...i recently i parked in my local shopping centre which has free parking! It was really busy so i parked by a curb which had no lines on it or anything except for a red notice saying that if i park there i agree to pay £85!( I only saw this when i came back after 10mins!).My car was not blocking anyone or anything.. Now there are these red signs everywhere where there is just bare land with no lines on the road or markings..I have now received a letter demanding £85..shall i just pay? Its a lot of money for me and prob equates to 1/4 value of my lil car!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your welcome, keep us posted :-D

• Confused 1

Friendship costs nothing but its rewards can be priceless. Do not judge, as you will not be judged but if you can, try and assist where possible.:smile:

everyone is entitled to MY opinion!:D

I offer my comments without prejudice or liability.

If you found my advice helpful, please click the scales at the top.

hi Falcon just wanted to ask...do i write to them stataing that i was not the driver at the time so i shouldnt be fined? The car is in my name so wont they write back and ask for the details of the driver or just pursue me for the fine as its my car??? pls help

They have written to you as the registered keeper of the vehicle. As they are a private company, you are under no obligation to provide them with details of who the driver was. They could keep on writing to you but you just have to keep on reminding them that you are under no legal obligation to provide them with the details of the driver. You could write something like:-

"Thank you for your recent communication. Any implied contract that you may have is with the driver of the vehicle at the time it was parked on your premises. I am the registered keeper and I am not liable for any penalties that you may be trying to impose for parking on your premises. I am under no obligation to provide you with details as to who the driver was at the time the vehicle was parked on your premises"

I'm sure if that is not a good way of dealing with it that someone else will be able to offer an alternative.

hi i got a letter back from them saying thatas i am the registered keeper i am liable for the fine and that they will continue to ask payment from me?? What shall i do now? help...!

Not that I would know but my thread 'Disabled Bays in retail car parks - Are they enforceable'. The user called POCA has given me some good advice.

Check his second post to me in that thread. Basically they have to proove its you and there has to be adequate signs to say if you park in a particular place there will be a fine.

hi i got a letter back from them saying thatas i am the registered keeper i am liable for the fine and that they will continue to ask payment from me?? What shall i do now? help...!

My advice would be to ignore them, they cannot identify the driver and although the vehicle is registered to you, you have in fact stated that you was not the driver at the time, they have NO powers to demand anyones details and it seems that they think if they keep writing you will avntually cave in, DONT!!! Keep all the letters and if needs be you could always write to them informing them that if they persist in writing to you after you have already stated you wasnt driving you WILL report them for Harrasment.

Friendship costs nothing but its rewards can be priceless. Do not judge, as you will not be judged but if you can, try and assist where possible.:smile:

Hi Popsy,

I have a good letter to send. I will scan it in tonight.

I recently got the same sort of PCN. I challenged it and they sent it to a collections agency.

When I phoned the ticketing company (G24 in this instance) the suddenly decided the photographic evidence was unreliable. I will post a copy of the original PCN.

There is absolutely nothing they can do to enforce this ticket. They will threaten you with all sorts but in the end of the day they cannot enforce it. To enforce it they would have to be able to prove who was driving which they cant.

You have no obligation to provide them with the details of the driver.

Stick it out and you will win. They rely on these threats to make people pay up

7 actions in progress

amount refunded so far £6500

Your welcome Popsy,

dont worry about them, they cannot do anything apart from make threats. You have stated to them that you was not the driver at the time of the alleged offence and you are under no legal obligation to furnish them with any further details. :-)

Hi, I have been following this thread with interest as I have recently encountered similiar problem with Euro Car Parks, teenage daughter driving car registered to myself. Can anyone answer this question for me: How if these companies are private frims can they access details from DVLA, surely this must contravene some part of the Data Protection Act, I can understand how courts. police etc are entitled to the informaton that DVLA hold but not how any Tom, Dick or Harry can gain access to personal details held at DVLA.

Regards She

Hi She,

I think they apply to DVLA and have to fit a certain criteria before DVLA will release any details to them, even though DVLA will release this info the private firms have no legal right like Police and Local Authorites to demand that you provide them with the drivers details. If you write to them stating that you was not the driver at the time of the alleged offence thay cant do squat! :-D

s. 35(2) of the Data Protection Act 1998 allows the release of personal data for the purposes of legal proceedings or contemplated legal proceedings. They tell DVLA they want to sue you, DVLA makes a release under s. 35(2).

update..they have wrote back next day saying ' as you are the registered keeper of the vehicle you are liable for the parking charge please be advised we have passed your case to our debt recovery agents and from now on they will deal with this matter.'

What shall i do now? shall i just pay up or will i have to go to court etc i dont want the £85 ballooning into 100's!

Hi Popsy,

dont worry, they are hoping you will cave in to their bullyboy tactics, they cannot do anything. You have informed them you was not the driver at the time and you do NOT HAVE TO TELL THEM WHO WAS. They are trying to make you panic into paying, DONT!! They have NO authority to demand such information and they cannot pass this on to a DCA as this is in dispute.