Interview Under Caution - Looking for Advice

gayeqcm
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3805 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Greeting to everyone...

I am currently looking for some advice regarding an upcoming interview under caution which my girlfriend has.

She thinks he has overpaid in HB, she made a stupid mistake and she wants to come clean and admit everything she did and start paying back the money which she owes.

However she has been advised not to communicate with the council by his solicitor. Will she be likely be arrested straight away for admitting her offences? and if so..how can stop end HB payments and rearrange to repay the overpayments?

Thanks in advance.

Nothing to gain and much more to lose in my opinion.

Some solicitors advise a "no comment" approach to all interviews. I have discussed this with a duty solicitor who was of the opinion that it was for the DWP/LA to prove their case. I agree with this to some extent but it leaves the investigator with no other option but to go for prosecution. There is usually (or should be) ample evidence of an offence prior to IUC and there can sometimes be other ways to sort things out with either a full admission or an explanation as to what has happened and why.

Only you can decide what to do for the best but in my opinion, unless the overpayment is likely to be over £2k it might be to your advantage to try to sort things out and avoid a prosecution.