• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Lowell/Carter Claim Form Received on Catalogue debt -*** Claim Discontinued***

nomoremoney
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3678 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all. My wife has today received the following CCJ-

It is from a Marshall Ward catalogue account.

I lost my job due to ill health, my wife lost hers due to the recession.

I am now self employed, but only earning a small amount.

My wife is looking after our 2 young children and so is unemployed.

We have just checked her credit report.

It is listed as Lowell Portfolio and says-

Account type: Mail order

Started: 19/06/2009

Current Balance: £693

Default Date: 22/11/2010

Default Balance: £486

I think the last payment was maybe 3 - 6 months before the default date.

I'm not sure why the current balance (the amount being claimed for plus interest and costs) is higher than the default balance.

Surely they cannot charge interest on interest or charges.

Due to out financial situation, my wife also has 4 other Lowell accounts from the same time.

4 of these are for different overdrafts all from Barclays.

1 is for £1175,

the other 3 are joint accounts totalling about £1100).

The 4th Lowel is for a Barclaycard for £4300,

also listed under Barclaycard as settled and assigned to CAIS member.

I myself have a 4k and 2k loan, £200 (with about another £200 charges)

CapitalOne card,

and the above overdrafts all defaulted and with debt collectors.

We aggressively receive debt collectors letters and phone calls almost daily (mostly from Lowel and their pretend companies).

But this is the first time any court action has been taken.

We wrote to all the companies showing our I&E and offering a token payment, which was refused,

we have ignore all correspondence since.

However, this catalogue defaulted 6 months or so after all the others, and we never even wrote.

We just stopped paying.

We once had a doorstep collector turn up,

but I lied and said she didn't live here.

We have since moved.

We currently each have an active Vanquis credit card with about £3000 combined, never missed a payment.

I handle (obviously badly) our finances, my wife doesn't really know anything about how it all works,

and cannot being to comprehend representing herself in court.

I,m not sure what to do for the best.

We are in private rented accommodation, but are awaiting council rehousing as we are struggling.

An I&E leaves us about £60 a month short, and that's without including any clothes, luxuries, holidays etc.

We have a mobility car and no assets or savings.

The Vanquis cards will probably last another month or two before we are forced to default on them.

First and foremost I would like some sort of statement from Marshall Ward to explain how they have got to this figure as it seems too high.

How do I go about this?

Do I contact them, Lowell, Bryan Carter or the court?

Also is bankruptcy an option here?

Is it too late now the CCJ has been issued?

Sorry for all the questions and information.

I hope I've been able to give a clear picture.

We are against a brick wall now and don't know what to do.

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Thank you

Edited by ims21

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right from my own research it seems I need to send off a CPR 31.14 request. I'm using the one from the library. Do I send it to the claimant (Lowel) or address for sending documents and payments (bryan carter)? Do I include a postal order and for how much?

Also do I acknowledge to the court asap or on the last day to give me the most time?

Thanks

Date of issue of the claim is 20 November plus 5 for service = 25th. Then you have a further 14 days to acknowledge = 29th and then a further 14 to submit a defence = 13 December.

CPR goes to the address for correspondence and there is no fee.

Are there unlawful charges or PPI on the account which could aid in any defence?

Date of issue of the claim is 20 November plus 5 for service = 25th. Then you have a further 14 days to acknowledge = 29th and then a further 14 to submit a defence = 13 December.

Are there unlawful charges or PPI on the account which could aid in any defence?

Thanks. The template says I will

In accordance with CPR 31.15© I undertake to be responsible for your reasonable copying costs incurred in complying with this CPR 31.14 request.

so I assume I'll get a bill afterwards then?

I don't think there was any PPI. But the claimant is claiming £693.77 + interest, when the default balance (according to credit report) was £486. I have no idea on what the difference is, genuinely can't remember and have no statements. I'm assuming it's interest and / or charges.

How do I go about finding this out? Or should I wait and see if they can comply with the CPR 31.14 first?

Thanks

If they want a fee they will let you know but I believe it is very rare that one is asked for.

It is likely that you will get Carter's standard reply to the CPR but send it off and see what happens.

Do you not have any paperwork on the account at around the point of default? What about statements of account...do you have any of those?

Did you get a default notice?

Did you get a Notice of Assignment?

I've had a good look around but cannot find any paperwork whatsoever in relation to this.

Should I go ahead and acknowledge / send off CPR? Surely they should provide a detailed account of how they come up with the money they're claiming? Or does this not apply when the whole debt has been reassigned?

Thanks

I think your dates are a bit out here.

Service: 25th. 14 days to acknowledge: 9th December. Plus 14 days to submit the Defence: 23rd December.

Actually both of you are wrong defence is due Sunday 26th Dec:wink:

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

29th I ment........or even 31st (bank holidays?) :wink:

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Actually I have been fretting about your timescale for the past 24 hours, but I'm sure andy will explain why it's the 29th.

I still make it the 23rd.

Issue: 20th November

Service: Monday, 25th November plus 14 days to put in an acknowledgment =

Monday, 9th December plus 14 days to put in Defence =

23rd December.

But it may be that andy knows the Courts are shut that week.

I don't know enough about DROs to advise. I would think they may appear on your credit files which could possibly affect your business, but I may be wrong, so hang on for further advice.

DD

I make it 23rd too

DRO... each of you can apply as individuals. The joint accounts would fall to you to resolve [joint and several] if your better half discharged her liability first.

You have until the 9th December to acknowledge the claim and to 23rd to file a defence [assuming you intend to defend]

I'd be inclined to use the next few days to speak to National debtline or Stepchange and take some advice. A judgment can be included in the DRO but it will delay matters if the case persists in litigation. Whilst that may appear I'm suggesting you admit the claim, the reality is that if your wife meets the criteria for a DRO and feels it is for her it would make sense to take the easy route 'if' she qualifies.

Business accounts.... very much depends on your circumstances and how you trade [sole trader, company limited by liability etc]

Thanks for that :)

She's registered with the MCOL website, but it keeps saying the 'Claim number or password is incorrect". Am I being stupid? The claim number is the claim no on the top of the front page, the password is the one in the important notes on the front page.

I guess I'll have to ring the court tomorrow.

I make it 23rd too

DRO... each of you can apply as individuals. The joint accounts would fall to you to resolve [joint and several] if your better half discharged her liability first.

You have until the 9th December to acknowledge the claim and to 23rd to file a defence [assuming you intend to defend]

I'd be inclined to use the next few days to speak to National debtline or Stepchange and take some advice. A judgment can be included in the DRO but it will delay matters if the case persists in litigation. Whilst that may appear I'm suggesting you admit the claim, the reality is that if your wife meets the criteria for a DRO and feels it is for her it would make sense to take the easy route 'if' she qualifies.

Business accounts.... very much depends on your circumstances and how you trade [sole trader, company limited by liability etc]

Sorry I missed your post. I'm a sole trader trying to build up some eBay shops. I don't want it to affect my bank accounts (which don't have an overdraft) and paypal.

What do you mean by her discharging her liability to me? Could I discharge my liability to her, so that the join debts are solely in her name, so that we don't both need a DRO? Hope that makes sense!

These joint debts, along with all the others, are now assigned to Lowell. I'm thinking if Lowell has any success with this claim, all the rest will quickly follow.

Sorry I missed your post. I'm a sole trader trying to build up some eBay shops. I don't want it to affect my bank accounts (which don't have an overdraft) and paypal.

What do you mean by her discharging her liability to me? Could I discharge my liability to her, so that the join debts are solely in her name, so that we don't both need a DRO? Hope that makes sense!

These joint debts, along with all the others, are now assigned to Lowell. I'm thinking if Lowell has any success with this claim, all the rest will quickly follow.

Joint accounts.... each of you would be equally liable, as an example; for a 1k joint loan [or guarantor] both of you could be chased for any debit balance. If your wife entered into a DRO [effectively insolvent] the creditor could only pursue you at discharge. The only means I can think of for you to discharge your liability would be for you to apply for the DRO first.

Not sure that it would be suitable for you if acting as a sole trader. ie all financial facilities arranged as John Smith trading as John Smith. There is probably a facility for sole traders but I think a competent adviser should be your first port of call if considering for yourself.

You have time, can only suggest you make the most of it. If you want to acknowledge the claim in the short term and respond that you will be defending all it won't be an issue to change position prior to or on 23.12 if the DRO appears suitable

MCOL login, not sure what to suggest except mixing and matching the login and passwords you have....... It won't throw you out after x number of failed attempts so its worth the effort of attempting various combinations. If all else fails you can email your aos

Link below may assist

http://www.justice.gov.uk/downloads/courts/mcol-quickstart-guide.pdf

Two quick questions please

1. Does our 28 days to file a defence start from the day we file our acknowledgment of service, or from the 14+5 days from the issue date?

2. Should my wife sign the CPR request? I've read on here that its not required, as they should already be sure of your identity. Also, when it has been signed in the past, it has been known for this signature to have been photoshoped onto a fake agreement when the original does not exist / cannot be found. So would a new signature be best, to catch them out?

Thanks