Shell Petrol Station overcharging / scam

Jonathan McG
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3870 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Has anyone experienced blatant overcharging or been subjected to a [problem] at a UK petrol station? I used the Shell garage at Westerhailes in Edinburgh as the needle on my fuel indicator was touching zero. On fuelling, there was no noise coming from the pump and there was no sensation of fuel running through the hose and into my car as there usually is. I stopped refuelling the car, concerned that the cost was increasing but I was receiving no fuel. This was also evidenced by the fact that the indicator needle had not moved at all when I turned the ignition on. The staff advised I still had to pay and they provided me with an e-mail address to contact Shell customer services with. I did this and after carrying out "checks" I was told the pump was fine and I would not receive a refund. So I have had to pay for petrol I didn't actually receive. Interested to hear of other similar experiences and action taken.

When did this happen?

If the staff in the station were unhelpful, i would have done two things:

1) got a can and filled it up to see if what was sold was dispensed (i carry an empty can so something I could do on the fly).

2) Each pump has a Weights and Measures calibration on it (done by local Trading Standards typically), noted down the number of the calibration number and given them a call.

Fobbing you off was pretty unhelpful, so it might still be worth looking on the pump and calling the relevant trading standards. I'd also fire off a letter to Shell, and outline the problem.