• Tweets

• or go really bold ... Further to my request for a copy of the agreement you refer to on ( date) I made a section 78 request pursuant to the Credit Consumer Act 1974 to which you have yet to reply or respond. Pursuant to the Credit Consumer act 1974 section 78 (6) If the creditor under an agreement fails to comply with subsection (1)— (a) he is not entitled, while the default continues, to enforce the agreement.
    • Pers I'd stop paying the lot and get each defaulted by a dn issuance.  Defaults can't hurt future renting no Only ccj's Can't keep saying the same answers.    Dx        
    • Ok thank you. That’s where we are getting confused, as we’re not sure where we stand legally. But we’re still unsure who we should be going to now, the dealer or the finance company? I’m assuming the evidence we have (the reports from Mercedes) showing that the fault was there when we purchased would be sufficient to prove this? To be honest we would prefer to send the car back completely as are now concerned more problems may arise.
    • No no - I would complain via the CEO and Directors Office.     They sorted it in less than 24 hours for me. Complaint closed and compo issued. Info removed from CRA This morning. Credit Karma updated for me instantly almost.   
    • Hi, Thanks a lot for your valuable advice and apologies for bit delay in providing some additional information as requested before. I was also looking at other threads to get some more knowledge, apologies if my questions have already been answered in some other threads and I have missed them. I would appreciate if you can guide to relevant thread to help navigate easily. If I opt to go down the route of availing BS option, I'd find it more convenient if I do it in parts i.e., applying with 2/3 creditors at a time. Is that even possible in my case? I understand that DN might be the best option for me but I am trying to avoid this route as much as I can. I am currently living in a rented property with wife and 3 kids and I am not how this is going to play out in future if we decide to move to some other area. How will DN impact my intention of getting house on mortgage (dream as of today) after 6 years? If I go for DN strainght away, do I have to do it for all debts? for example, can i leave one active credit card out of this DN? what can i do if I go for DN right now but my financial situation improves in 1-2 years due to better job or promotion etc.?  Here are the details of my debts. Let me know please if you have any questions. Regards, MM Overdraft Halifax - £2,500 Starling - £500 (I can settle this immediately to keep this account active as back-up for salary and other priority expenses like rent, council tax etc.)   Personal Loans - Outstanding Amounts - No defaults or missed payments Plata - approx. £27,000 BetterBorrow - £3,450 Zopa - £14,000 Reevo - £2,800 Updraft - £2,230   Credit Card - Balances - No defaults or missed payments except those noted Virgin - £6,100 (This card is suspended.) Halifax - £5,474 (This card is suspended.) Barclays - £5,400 (I am currently on a fixed monthly payment plan of £232 for almost a year now and missed last month's payment.) Aqua - £3,100 Fluid - £2,100  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

WARNING.....Legal claim for "levy abandonment". Case LOST....claimant ordered to pay £4,000 to bailiff company !!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3886 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have seen at first hand the serious problems that debtors face when making Form 4 Complaints and in particular;

when being "encouraged" to file Form 4 Complaints after viewing certain internet sites that sell "Form 4 packs" or offer to provide "affidavits" for the debtor.

Despite the "advice" being almost identical in each case and almost always, referring to the same "legal cases" ( many of which are "unreported" or "19th century" cases of little relevance) vulnerable and unsuspecting debtors may even believe that the people running such websites are qualified to provide "legal advice".

Significantly, such websites fail to disclose proof of any "successful" Form 4 complaints !!!

Last week I provided details on the forum of a recent decision from a senior Judge in relation to a Form 4 complaint and where the Judge was very critical of the "legal advice" relied upon by the complainant and the dangers of relying upon information gathered from websites.

Crucially, the Judge stated that if he had listed the case for a hearing he would have required the complainant to provide the court with copies of the legal cases referred to in the Form 4 complaint and that he would require the complainant or his "legal adviser" to explain the relevance of the legal cases to the court !!

Of very serious concern is that today, I was advised of yet ANOTHER case ( this time a small company) who had visited a similar internet "forum" after one of their cars had been clamped by a bailiff and had been persuaded by the "legal advice" given on the site to make a claim against a bailiff company for "levy abandonment" and " excessive fees" and citing the following "legal authorities"

Black v Standage & Price [1831]

Flanagan v John Crilley & Sons [1987]

Lumsden v Burnett [1898]

Anthony Culligan v Jason Simkin

Bernard Loynes v Beswicks Solicitors [2010]

Haydon v Barton [1849]

Baldry v Caine [1906]

Edwards v Morey [1905]

Scott v Denton [1906]

Warden v Richardson [1888]

Mutter v Speering [1905]

Smith v Thomas & Wilberforce [1899]

Black v Moore & Thompson [1908]

Bannister v Hyde [1860]

Dunscombe v Hicks [1898]

Black v Standage & Price [1831]

Predictably the bailiff company instructed solicitors . The Judge was very critical of the claimant for relying upon such legal cases which he stated were irrelevant and he ordered the claimant to pay nearly £4,000 in costs to the BAILIFF COMPANY.

Unfortunately I cannot give the names of the claimant or the bailiff company at this present time as the claimant is seeking legal advice.

Of significance was the fact that when questioned about the" legal cases" the claimants could not explain to the court the relevance of the "legal authorities" or even copies of the cases !!!

As you will see from above one of the case "relied" upon by the claimant was that of: Bannister v Hyde 1860.

As I had mentioned yesterday I will be endeavoring to try to locate if possible copies of legal cases referred to above.

In this respect today I have received a copy of the Judgment in relation to Bannister V Hyde and from reading the judgment I have very serious concerns indeed:

If members of the public enter the words Bannister v Hyde into a Google search they will see that the entire Google page will show that two particular websites feature this particular case very heavily indeed.

Visitors to the websites will be able to read the many references on those sites to "Bannister v Hyde" in relation to "abandonment" and where the sites quotes the following:

The Judge in the case of Bannister v Hyde [1860] 2 E&E 627 defined levy abandonment - "If the bailiff levies on goods then leaves the premises without a signed walking-possession agreement is evidence the levy has been abandoned"

So far I have read the Judgment TWICE and I cannot see that it says anything of the sort !!!!

I will post more details later this evening ......

Edited by tomtubby

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BANNISTER v HYDE. Monday February 13th 1860

In brief:

The case is actually referred to as: Bannister v Hyde and Collins and below I have accurately copied from the Judgment. Given that the case is over 150 years old you will need to excuse the way in which it is written !!!

"The man in possession of goods distrained for rent, having quitted the house for the purpose of refreshment, found on his return, the door purposely locked against him by the tenant and broke it open for the purposes of re-entering.

HELD that: there being no evidence of an abandonment of the distress, the man in possession was justified in so re-entering"

PS: Given the way in which this Judgment "appears" to be seriously "misrepresented" on many websites I will get full details prepared over the next few days.

BANNISTER v HYDE. Monday February 13th 1860

In brief:

The case is actually referred to as: Bannister v Hyde and Collins and below I have accurately copied from the Judgment. Given that the case is over 150 years old you will need to excuse the way in which it is written !!!

"The man in possession of goods distrained for rent, having quitted the house for the purpose of refreshment, found on his return, the door purposely locked against him by the tenant and broke it open for the purposes of re-entering.

HELD that: there being no evidence of an abandonment of the distress, the man in possession was justified in so re-entering"

PS: Given the way in which this Judgment "appears" to be seriously "misrepresented" on many websites I will get full details prepared over the next few days.

I am aware of a case (this may be the one) where the Sheriff left for some beers he returned and the property was secured, he returned some time later and broke in and it was held he acted lawfully. I will try and find out if this is the case or not and if not which one it is.

Where did you find the judgment,(if you don;t mind me asking) I have been searching for it for some time,

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

I agree totally with TT here over one thing in particular - judgments. It is oh so easy to pick out odd sentences or paragraphs to back up what we would like them to say. When read in full context, the judgment actually says something completely different.

I think DWB is particularly guilty of this, and thus misleads clients. The example cited there recently of the MOJ vs JBW highlights this issue, and it is essential one reads the judgment in full to understand just how far off the mark the advice given actually is.

I'm glad to see this being discussed here. As someone very active in bailiff issues I rarely post on here, but this is one discussion I cannot stay out of. Overstating cases, or misrepresenting them is a sure way to incur further costs for yourself.

I am aware of a case (this may be the one) where the Sheriff left for some beers he returned and the property was secured, he returned some time later and broke in and it was held he acted lawfully. I will try and find out if this is the case or not and if not which one it is.

Coffin v Dyke 1884 possibly, where Coffin was left as a possession man and went to the pub for refreshment. On his return he was assaulted by Dyke to prevent re-entry. It was found that Coffin was in execution & Dyke could be convicted.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Both cases involved the "possession man" leaving for a beer-Maybe it wasn't such a bad job in those days after all?

It is interesting that in both cases,impounding had taken place rendering the levy lawful-I still see no evidence to support a lawful levy if a vehicle has been levied in the debtors absence-There must be 1000's of these cases up & down the country.

Coffin v Dyke 1884 possibly, where Coffin was left as a possession man and went to the pub for refreshment. On his return he was assaulted by Dyke to prevent re-entry. It was found that Coffin was in execution & Dyke could be convicted.

That could be the one. Thank you.

Dodgeball,

In answer to your question as to where I had found the Judgment.....I am fortunate in that my brother in law is a solicitor !!!

I am going away for the weekend but after that.... I will be making details available on the forum and if anyone needs to full copy then pleaee send me a message.

Coffin v Dyke raises a laugh at law school lectures due to the names of the protagonists and the fact that the enforcer left the premises he was levying distress on in the middle of it to go for a beer.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Dodgeball,

In answer to your question as to where I had found the Judgment.....I am fortunate in that my brother in law is a solicitor !!!

I am going away for the weekend but after that.... I will be making details available on the forum and if anyone needs to full copy then pleaee send me a message.

Ah many thanks I will. i used to have access to courtserve but no longer sadly, but some of this is ancient stuff.

There are other issues raised in other forums that really should be resolved also IMO, not lest the one regarding fess imposed by Magistrates court bailiffs collecting fines.

People are being advised not to pay these, as they are said to be "unenforceable", again case law is being quoted which does not seem to say what it is claimed.

Undoubtedly there is an issue here but it would be good to see a balanced practical evaluation of the situation

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

• 4 months later...

I noticed on another website that queries are being raised regarding the case of Bannister v Hyde.

As I have mentioned on this thread the case is very old indeed ( 150 years) and it is not that simple to read.

I will post a copy later today in any event for those of you who are interested.

Approx 3 months ago I wrote an article for a trade magazine regarding this particular legal case and I received so many enquiries about it and requests for copies of the judgment. For "easy reading" I accurately re-typed a copy of Bannister v Collins into a PDF.

A copy is attached.

Any questions, please feel free to ask.

[ATTACH]46972[/ATTACH]

Edited by tomtubby

My understanding of forced re-entry is that the bailiff must have the premises locked against him, in other words they cannot force entry if the debtor is just out without any warning, but they must be able to show that the debtor was intentionally denying access to the goods which had been seized.

I have been trying to find the judgment re forced re-entry, I know it was a court of appeal judgment in 1998 but i court seem to lay my hands on it.

I have been trying to find the judgment re forced re-entry, I know it was a court of appeal judgment in 1998 but i court seem to lay my hands on it.

Khazanchi v Faircharm Investments possibly

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

For some reason, my inbox was full up last night !!

The level of support that I have received regarding this subject has been simply overwhelming. Thank you to everyone.

I would like to thank Ploddertom for his help with getting copes of the judgment online.

Unlike so many of you I am not too good on the computer. So early yesterday I sent a message to Ploddertom him to ask if he would be so kind as to upload this judgment onto the site for me. He was not available until mid afternoon and contacted me to offer to show me how to upload the judgment for myself ( I now realise that it is not so difficult after all) Within minutes of uploading the original judgment ( and my separate PDF word version ) I left the office for a hospital appointment. I was oblivious to extraordinary events that unfolded over the next few hours !!! It was those events that appear to have been responsible for my inbox being full up ( I had only emptied it the night before).

I will explain more about this later this morning but I would like to make clear beforehand that I will only post about this once and that should be the end of the matter.

I do not want to detract from the important subject that this thread is all about.

One thing that this post highlights is the importance of seeking proper legal advice before embarking on suing somebody.

This in turn leads me to highlight Bankfodder's own stickys regarding suing for Trespass and Breach of Confidence. In my opinion they could easily lead to similar costs being awarded against a Cagger.

Khazanchi v Faircharm Investments possibly

Yes thank you :)

http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/1998/471.html

TT gets that many PM's she finds it hard to keep on top of her inbox and quite likely it will be full again...try again in the morning.

Thanks for the info, I know TT is very busy but she got my message anyways thanks for the assist

MM

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

For some reason, my inbox was full up last night !!

The level of support that I have received regarding this subject has been simply overwhelming. Thank you to everyone.

I was oblivious to extraordinary events that unfolded over the next few hours !!! It was those events that appear to have been responsible for my inbox being full up ( I had only emptied it the night before).

I will explain more about this later this morning but I would like to make clear beforehand that I will only post about this once and that should be the end of the matter.

I do not want to detract from the important subject that this thread is all about.

I had initially started this thread after being contacted by a debtor who had visited a particular website and; based on the information on that website had been encouraged to issue legal proceedings. To support her "claim" she had relied upon various "ancient" legal cases detailed on that website. The main focus of her claim had been on the matter of "abandonment" and in this particular respect, she had relied upon the legal case of "Bannister v Hyde (1860). She did not provide a copy of this judgment with her claim and merely trusted the website in question believing that the judgment had made a finding of "abandonment". She was not to know that the opposite was true!!

Sadly, the debtor lost her court claim ( which was not a Form 4 complaint) and she was ordered to pay the bailiff companies costs of approx £4,000.

The reason for putting this thread together was to stress to debtors considering either a legal claim or a Form 4 complaint of the importance of making sure that they either take proper legal advice or alternatively; at the very least, to make sure that they obtain a copy of the judgment and read it for themselves to ascertain whether it applies to their particular complaint or claim.

In the case of levy "abandonment" ( which is notoriously difficult to prove) if the words Bannister v Hyde are put into Google viewers will find themselves directed to one or two websites (not this one). One such website ( which I will not be naming) frequently encourage debtors to file a Form 4 complaint or issue legal proceedings on the basis of Bannister v Hyde. No further details of the Judgment are given to debtors.

Two days ago it came as a dreadful shock to read on that particular website that despite encouraging endless debtors to rely upon this particular case in court proceedings or in Form 4 complaints, that the website owner had never himself even read the judgment and instead; had merely read an article about it that "apparently" had been written by a solicitor 50 years ago !!!!

Unfortunately, before making this confession the website owner made the most awful comments about me personally and this particular forum. I will not be responding given that the matter has now been referred to my solicitor and other regulatory bodies.

In the following thread I will be providing a shortened copy of the exchange that led to the site owner confirming that he had never read the Judgment.

I am only posting this as a warning to debtors of the danger of taking "legal advice" from the internet.

Sadly, this information is too late for the poor lady who has had to pay £4,000 in legal costs !!!

Edited by tomtubby