style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3986 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My 16 year old has recently found a job at a well known Sportswear chain. I was very proud of them, they are going into their final year and studying for the exams which will hopefully see them go on to university.

Unfortunately, the more I'm learning about this well known company, the more sickened I am at the way they operate, and the more I'm questioning the legality of their treatment of employees.

Firstly, all staff are on "zero hours" contracts, so they don't have to give them a set number of hours...this is used as a "carrot and stick" in order to force them to sell their own shopping bags to the customers, in effect having to try to get every customer to buy a bag.

My youngster was told "If you don't sell enough bags, your hours get cut". One girl who works in the store has just quit because she's had NO hours for 4 months because she wasn't selling enough bags. I've now found out that during the run up to Christmas, they are also expected to SELL the company's catalogues too.

Yesterday, I was told that all staff are searched every time the leave, just to make sure they haven't stolen anything! My child has references which show them to be one of the most consciencious pupils their school has ever had, yet they are treated like a criminal on a daily basis without ever having done anything to warrant such treatment.

I was proud when they managed to get the job, especially as there were a large number of applicants, but now I'd be more proud if they gave notice, and explained exactly why.

I worked in a few jobs during my teenage years, but never was I treated with complete mistrust, and never did I hear of anyone else being treated this way, until such times as they did something to warrant mistrust.

Can anyone tell me if these practices are legal? To be searched every time you leave your place of employment seems absolutely out of order, and I would have thought it breached some article of human or civil rights? Surely we all have the right to be TRUSTED, unless and until we break that trust?

I've kept my youngster gender neutral as you can see.

all legal and common practice. I'd try a supermarket job next to get round the product pushing, but in retail staff searches of bags etc are normal.

The gender of your child (adult!) is irrelevant so no idea why you mention it.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

no, could have been trolling about mixed gender searches. I have no idea who you are and therefore who your kids are, or what the shop is.... so not obvious at all to me

btw I last worked in retail 20 years ago and staff searches were in place hen, so not a new thing

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Well you must know much more about the internet than me because I've no idea what "trolling about mixed gender searches" even is...

I received alot of help and support on here when dealing with Atos recently, so I thought I'd throw this one out there and see what people thought/knew.

Thanks for your answer, disappointing though it is. Seems we live in sad times.

Yes, I guess so...not much work around though as they found out when applying for jobs before getting this one.

I find it incredible that the law allows this with regard to the 'product pushing'...to effectively be blackmailed by your employer, and for it to be constantly mentioned in shop. It actually causes the employees stress, and at a time when they are all stressed enough about exams and future prospects.

the employer sees it as performing to the required standard in a sales role - 2 sides to every story, why would they employ people who don;t sell over those who do?

the employer sees it as performing to the required standard in a sales role - 2 sides to every story, why would they employ people who don;t sell over those who do?

I think it's immoral myself...I once worked in a photo lab where we were expected to 'push' the 7x5 prints on the customer instead of the standars 6x4, amongst many other 'hard sell' tactics.

I hated it, you had elderly ladies coming in just wanting their film of their grandchildren developed, and we had to try and force them to buy bigger prints which we knew they couldn't afford. I did the bare minimum and only if the manageress was over my shoulder. She was a hard faced person who seemed to have no conscience when it came to climbing the greasy pole. The number of times I saw old ladies scraping around in their purses trying to find another £1 because they'd been talked to until they just gave in. Make me sick to be part of it and I left after only a few months.

I would tell you to tell your siblings to shove the job were the sun doesn't shine but that's just me,I have no respect for company's that treat the staff like this

That was my feeling, but politely done, but after reading Emmzzi's replies it would seem foolish to leave one job without having secured another first. I think they are going to look at the supermarket option, at least get applications in so they are in the system when jobs become available.