Assured shorthold tenancy renewal and termination period

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3988 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I've renewed my assured shorthold tenancy, running for 12 months, and the only clause in the agreement is the following

IT HAS BEEN AGREED between the Tenant and the Landlord that the agreement shall be

extended on the same terms and conditions as the said agreement for a further 14 Months from

30 January 2013 to 29 March 2014.

The previous agreement had a break clause after a six months initial fixed term, and now I'd like to give my two months notice to leave the apartment: am I still subject to the initial six months fixed term? Does it apply again from the renewal starting date?

Thanks.

Hi,

I've renewed my assured shorthold tenancy, running for 12 months, and the only clause in the agreement is the following

The previous agreement had a break clause after a six months initial fixed term, and now I'd like to give my two months notice to leave the apartment: am I still subject to the initial six months fixed term? Does it apply again from the renewal starting date?

Thanks.

What exactly did the break clause in the original agreement say?

Thanks for your response.

The original agreement says, under "Term of tenancy":

The tenancy shall start and include 30 January 2012 and shall end on and include the 29 January 2013.

Either the landlord or the tenant shall have the right to end the tenancy by giving no less than 2 months notice, not to be served before the initial 6 months of the term have expired

Then, the renewal agreement says to be subject to same terms and conditions as the original one.

Interesting as the word extension has been used to imply that it is just period of the contract has been extended and not in fact a NEW contract!

legal eagles needed on this one.

However if that is you interprtation and the LL accepts that then there is no problem; it is just if the LL regards it as and extension and the first six months have gone in the first term.

There you go, give in your notice and see what happens.

does not seem any point of having a twelve month contract or extension as you can both get out after the first six months with that clause, same as a PST.

IMO should have been a NEW contract, if LL wanted security of tenure.

As said it comes down to interpretation!

This one may have to be decided by a judge. ( courts decide disputes, that's what they are for )

Why don't you just ask them and see what they say then you will know what to do next.