Yet Another Hastings Problem

Ibshaunj
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4030 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

On 13th April, while asleep in bed, some idiot woman crashed into 5 cars outside the house I was staying in, righting off 3 parked cars and her own.

All cars were removed from the scene, the woman admitted liability and I was given a crime reference number and her car details to supply to my car insurance company (Hastings direct) the next day.

Apart from spending almost 3 hours on the phone to the Insurance company, the car hire company etc, everything was pretty organised and i received a hire car 2 days later. I heard nothing from Hastings for a few weeks, my partner, who's car was also written off in the same accident, received a quotation for the damage to his car and a valuation.

Last week, after getting a bit concerned, I contacted Hastings direct who told me they were waiting on a valuation of the vehicle by an engineer to be completed, and explained what I could expect once I received a decision.

I was informed that the remainder of my policy (that is paid monthly) would be taken out of any settlement I was awarded, and I would receive the remaining funds by cheque. I was absolutely appalled - but hoped that as I wasn't at fault, this was not the case and I wouldn't be left out of pocket. My only means of replacing my car is to have the full settlement amount from the insurance company, and as a student nurse, desperately need a car to travel to and from placements, which are a compulsory element of the course.

I had a phone call from Hastings today, who told me that my car settlement figure was £1100, however there was £651 remaining on my policy and that would have to be deducted before I was sent any funds. I was told, on the 'plus side' I was insured until January, I didn't have to worry about paying anymore insurance and in fact I was managing to save myself the interest that is added for paying by direct debit!

I thought the insurance policy is based on the car you insure? If the car is considered a total loss, what's the point in having the policy for another 8 months?? It would be great to not have to worry about been insured, but I have nothing to insure as I don't have a car, and no means of replacing it! I now face the risk of leaving my degree, purely because I'm left unable to travel to and from allocated placements because some inexperienced driver wrecked my car!

I think in these circumstances, individuals who are victim to these types of incidents, who comply with the law and general rules of the road and who pay to ensure there vehicles, shouldn't be made to become out of pocket, and put in this type of situation when it's absolutely no fault of there own.

My partners insurance company haven't forced him to pay his annual premium on a car that he doesn't have anymore, so why hasting feel it's ok to do it to their customers I have no idea.

I appreciate it all about profit, but in these circumstances, where's the common decency, loyalty to customers and plain fairness? Absolutely appalling!!

Edited by ims21
formatted for easier reading

Until Insurers make a FULL recover against a third party, this would count as a fault claim, so check with Hastings whether the third parties Insurers will be paying Hastings for their outlay.

If you cancelled mid-term you would have to pay the remaining premium for the year. The Insurers therefore deduct the outstanding premium from the claims settlement figure and allow you to continue the policy for you, if you wish to Insure the new car you buy (subject to premium adjustment and underwriting). You always have to pay the years Insurance, if you claim against the Insurance.

You need to make sure that Hastings market valuation is correct and that it would have enabled you to replace the car with similar. Get checking local advertisement for similar cars and also car value guides such as glass.co.uk and Parkers.

You should be also be pursuing the third parties Insurers for your excess and other under-insured losses e.g hire car costs. What is happening with this ? Do you have legal expenses or some form of assistance cover to help you with this ? If not, you will have to contact the third parties Insurers yourself to claim your excess and other losses. There are Solicitors who will do this on a no win no fee, but because there is no personal injury claim for them to earn higher fees, they might not be interested.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi Ibshaunj, Thanks for posting. Following your telephone conversation yesterday with one of my colleagues I have referred this matter to our claims team to investigate and get in contact with you. In the meantime if you have any further questions you can contact me at [email protected] Many Thanks, Jamie