Help with Damaged Driving licence

Brownguy53
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4036 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Long story short,

someone stole my card uk driving licence.

Now the police arrested the person and got me my card back.

Unluckily for me the person snapped it in half, but the police taped it together and returned it to me.

It's that destroyed in the middle that I look like dracula or frankenstein.

i've got some points coming off in august and i got told that i'd have to pay and send in my licence then to get the points removed.

is it worth me just waiting until then to send the licence back?

Just i'm going to spain on the same day and ideally wanted my licence so that I could hire a quad with my friends there.

i just wondered would I have any other options ?

or is paying for a new 1 the only way.

Long story short,

someone stole my card uk driving licence.

Now the police arrested the person and got me my card back.

Unluckily for me the person snapped it in half, but the police taped it together and returned it to me.

i've got some points coming off in august and i got told that i'd have to pay and send in my licence then to get the points removed.

Just i'm going to spain on the same day and ideally wanted my licence so that I could hire a quad with my friends there.

or is paying for a new 1 the only way.

If you change your address there is no charge for updating your licence. If you moved back two weeks later you can change it back again at no cost.

PUTTING IT IN WRITING & KEEPING COPIES IS A MUST FOR SUCCESS

You see the actual honest thing is that the address on my dvl a licence now is my term time address as I'm a student..my home address is different. Would i be able to change the address now? then in a few months change it back again?

If so do you know what I have to send off and where i can get a form to do this?

i also wanted to know..if i changed address on the licence would it effect my car insurance in anyway?? because my current insurance is to my address on the license

Your driving licence only has to show an address that you can be legally contacted at should it be necessary. Very few students change the address on their DL to their study address and just leave it recorded at their (normal) home address where, presumably, your parents still live full time.

There is nothing wrong, therefore, with doing the change of address now which you can do on-line to be quick nd efficient.

Why do you want to change the licence again in a few months time just to remove the points entry? There is no need to do this at all as it doesn't affect the validity of the licence in any way. If the points are expired then they are expired whether they are still written on teh licence or not. btw, if you are entitled to remove them soon then they must already be expired in terms of a legal stance. eg a typical SP30 speeding code would be valid for 3 years but remain on your licence for 4 years. If you are coming up to the 4 year mark so that they can be removed, they have already become invalid from a legal "totting up" point of view.

Your insurance is different in that the insurance company need to know where the car is normally parked so that they can correctly assess the risk to them of damage/theft etc so you are right to keep that detail recorded at your student address. It does not have to match your driving licence address.

Change licence address here:-

https://www.gov.uk/change-address-driving-licence

Well to be fair i've not done anything illegal- i selected my insurance as a student living away from my home address. I pay more for this privilege.

what help do you need that you didn't get above?

Several people have confirmed that you can get a new licence for free by requesting a change of address. This is perfectly legal to change your address back to your parents home. Indeed, I think most students never change it away from the "main" home when they go to university anyway. Such a change usually is completed in about 2 weeks or less.

Regarding removing the points in August, again, I asked the question as to why you felt you needed to remove the points at all? They are already invalid for the purpose of "totting up" so having them physically removed from the paper bit of your licence is more a vanity thing than any legal requirement. Whether they remain on there for an extra month, a year, or 10 years makes no difference from a legal point of view. they are expired and have no relevance should you be unfortunate enough to have another run in with a court.

When driving in Europe you must have a valid driving licence on you at all times, if your licence is snapped then the authorities cannot see that it is definitely you and can make you stop driving on the spot, remember that abroad you cannot just phone DVLA for confirmation and authorities abroad are bigger jobsworth, so for the sake of £20 get a new licence

so for the sake of £20 get a new licence

why does he need to pay £20? He has a valid reason to be able to request a change of address. Such changes are free of charge.

I agree he should get it changed now, but don't give them 20 quid for nowt!