Staff review - advice on completing diary exercise

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4099 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Our employers (local NHS Trust) have advised that they will be undertaking a review of admin staff within our area of work. Similar reviews have already been held in other divisions which have resulted in all staff being placed at risk before being down-graded and moved to new areas of work in many cases. Some staff retained their original job and grade. No staff at all have received an upgrade - this is purely a cost saving exercise reworded as a staff review.

As part of this process we have been told we need to keep a work diary for one week, detailing in 15 minute sessions, what we do all day. This information will then be used to decide whether staff need to be downgraded.

As this task is clearly for management to see if they can pay us less for what we do, I am trying to discover whether we are legally obliged to complete this diary exercise.

Thanks for any help you can give.

does you contract say "any other reasonable tasks" or similar in the duties or job description section?

If it does, and you don't, you may be facing a disciplinary.

BUT

what does your union say?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

My Job Descriptions says "This is not an exhaustive list of duties and responsibilities. The post holder may be required to undertake other duties which fall within the grade of the job, in discussion with the Line Manager."

However, the email which has gone out to managers says that staff will be invited to take part in a diary exercise - which suggests it's not compulsory.

We have been invited to one of two launch events to provide more information about the process, but these have been arranged for 2 and 5 April - slap bang in the middle of the easter holidays when lots of staff will be on leave, which makes me more suspicious of their intentions. I have also had it confirmed that this is a cost saving exercise and I am loathe to assist them in cutting my pay!

Thanks

and again

WHAT DOES YOUR UNION SAY?

you will get nowhere in this unless you work as a team! Currently you are on target to single yourself out as the lone stroppy one.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

So far, I've given you as much information as I have. We have been invited to a launch event (which makes it sound positive when we all know it's not) and that will be our opportunity to ask questions and meet with the Unions. However, I have since been forwarded an email which has been sent to managers of those staff being reviewed which says, "staff will be invited to partake in a diary exercise" - this would suggest to me that it cannot be enforced. There are 15 of us working together on this, I'm not niaive enough to think I can tackle them on my own.

ask the union. it is what you pay them for. if you don't pay them, well, you are going to have to take your chances!

I think it is a reasonable task, but you can argue the toss with management if you like :)

i agree with emmzzi, perfectly reasonable management request for any employee to be asked to evidence their daily duties. Don't forget to add the time to complete it.

This needs organised resistance, if i was still in that game i'd firstly be looking at how they have done this in other areas and used the employee's own dairy's against them and also seriously pushing back on the managers implementing this, as a lone voice on a review like this in such a large employer you will be steamrollered with little effort i'm afraid.