• Tweets

• I have just read the smaller print on their signs. It says that you can pay at the end of your parking session. given that you have ten minutes grace period the 35 seconds could easily have been taken up with walking back to your car, switching on the engine and then driving out. Even in my younger days when I used to regularly exceed speed limits, I doubt I could have done that in 35 seconds even when I  had a TR5.
    • Makers of insect-based animal feed hope to be able to compete with soybeans on price.View the full article
    • Thank you for posting up the results from the sar. The PCN is not compliant with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4. Under Section 9 [2][a] they are supposed to specify the parking time. the photographs show your car in motion both entering and leaving the car park thus not parking. If you have to do a Witness Statement later should they finally take you to Court you will have to continue to state that even though you stayed there for several hours in a small car park and the difference between the ANPR times and the actual parking period may only be a matter of a few minutes  nevertheless the CEL have failed to comply with the Act by failing to specify the parking period. However it looks as if your appeal revealed you were the driver the deficient PCN will not help you as the driver. I suspect that it may have been an appeal from the pub that meant that CEL offered you partly a way out  by allowing you to claim you had made an error in registering your vehicle reg. number . This enabled them to reduce the charge to £20 despite them acknowledging that you hadn't registered at all. We have not seen the signs in the car park yet so we do not what is said on them and all the signs say the same thing. It would be unusual for a pub to have  a Permit Holders Only sign which may discourage casual motorists from stopping there. But if that is the sign then as it prohibits any one who doesn't have a permit, then it cannot form a contract with motorists though it may depend on how the signs are worded.
    • Defence and Counterclaim Claim number XXX Claimant Civil Enforcement Limited Defendant XXXXXXXXXXXXX   How much of the claim do you dispute? I dispute the full amount claimed as shown on the claim form.   Do you dispute this claim because you have already paid it? No, for other reasons.   Defence 1. The Defendant is the recorded keeper of XXXXXXX  2. It is denied that the Defendant entered into a contract with the Claimant. 3. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was simply contracted by the landowner to provide car-park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. Accordingly, it is denied that the Claimant has authority to bring this claim. 4. In any case it is denied that the Defendant broke the terms of a contract with the Claimant. 5. The Claimant is attempting double recovery by adding an additional sum not included in the original offer. 6. In a further abuse of the legal process the Claimant is claiming £50 legal representative's costs, even though they have no legal representative. 7. The Particulars of Claim is denied in its entirety. It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief at all. Signed I am the Defendant - I believe that the facts stated in this form are true XXXXXXXXXXX 01/05/2024   Defendant's date of birth XXXXXXXXXX   Address to which notices about this claim can be sent to you  
    • pop up on the bulk court website detailed on the claimform. [if it is not working return after the w/end or the next day if week time] . When you select ‘Register’, you will be taken to a screen titled ‘Sign in using Government Gateway’.  Choose ‘Create sign in details’ to register for the first time.  You will be asked to provide your name, email address, set a password and a memorable recovery word. You will be emailed your Government Gateway 12-digit User ID.  You should make a note of your memorable word, or password as these are not included in the email.<<**IMPORTANT**  then log in to the bulk court Website .  select respond to a claim and select the start AOS box. .  then using the details required from the claimform . defend all leave jurisdiction unticked  you DO NOT file a defence at this time [BUT you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 ] click thru to the end confirm and exit the website .get a CPR 31:14 request running to the solicitors https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?486334-CPR-31.14-Request-to-use-on-receipt-of-a-PPC-(-Private-Land-Parking-Court-Claim type your name ONLY no need to sign anything .you DO NOT await the return of paperwork. you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 from the date on the claimform.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Train fine/prosecution for not producing a ticket?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4085 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am from Cardiff and travel using the Arriva Trains Wales Network

(from Radyr Station to Cardiff Queen Street Station if this helps)

about a month ago I got on a train at Station A and traveled to Station B.

I did not buy a ticket at Station A because I knew I could either get a ticket from the conductor on the train or at Station B.

However, since no conductor was present on the train that day (at least not in the carriage) I decided I could then buy my ticket at Station B.

I'm at Station B waiting in the queue to buy the ticket.

I asked for a return from Station A to Station B.

The man said that he couldn't offer me a ticket and that I had to talk to another man, who just so happened to be a Transport Investigator.

He took me aside and accused me of having intent to avoid paying a train fare.

I fail to see how this could be possible because I was just in the queue trying to buy a ticket, where I was refused a ticket only to then be cautioned for not having a ticket?

This doesn't make sense because the reason I didn't have a ticket is because you wouldn't sell me one?

It's not like I tried to leave the Station without paying,

in which case I would own up to having no intent to pay a train fare and accept any consequences.

(I compare this his to a shop where you don't pay for each item as you are walking around, you pay at the end.

If you leave the shop without paying,

then you have no intent to pay for those items and only then should you be treated as a criminal)

the other day I got a letter in the post stating there was enough evidence to warrant a prosecution and I may have to appear in court to receive a fine.

Would my story hold up in court?

It's not like a have a criminal record at current

and I usually buy a seasonal ticket

(and have done for several years)

but this travel was a one off journey and I have in the past, as well as other people, brought a ticket at my destination Station or on the train.

Would the fact that they refused to sell my a ticket before I was pulled aside make any difference,

surely this shows that I obviously did have some intent to purchase a ticket?

I don't see the point of having these ticket facilities at the destination Station if they're going to refuse me a ticket anyway.

I think the offense in which they are trying to accuse of is show in the Railway ByeLaw Section 18(1).

However, I feel this is a very bad law and should be changed to suit the views of modern train passengers who travel on trains with the idea that they can be sold a ticket on the train or at their destination.

The law should only be able to prosecute people who actually refuse to pay for a ticket/don't have means of paying for a ticket/try to leave the Station without paying for a ticket.

Sorry for rambling,

but I really don't feel like I have committed a criminal offence and really don't want to have a criminal record from this.

Is there any point appealing this conviction or would it make no difference or would the fact that I'm appealing make it look like I'm guilty?

Would my history of buying seasonal ticket for many years count in my favour?

Thanks in advance for any advice you could offer me!

Sorry for the double post!

Just wanted to say, feel free to question me if you think I'm lying. I'm more than happy to clarify anything and I won't take any offense.

Cheers!

Why didn't you buy a ticket at station A?

Was there no working ticket machine or were you running late and wanting to avoid missing your train?

You say there was no conductor in the carriage. Did you look down the rest of the train to try and find the conductor/guard to purchase a ticket?

From what I've read on this forum it's not enough to say you didn't have time to purchase a ticket before boarding a train if there are sufficient facilities at the station for you to do this nor that you didn't see someone to try and buy a ticket from you have to actively seek them out or risk being accused as you have been.

Others who are more knowledgeable than I will hopefully be along soon to offer their advice,

Feebee_71

Yes Feebee, you are spot-on.

If there are factilities available to obtain a ticket at the traveller's starting station, the obligation is on the traveller to use them. Being in a rush or late, or not wanting to go to a ticket office or machine is not a valid excuse for not getting a ticket.

The TOC does not need to prove intent to avoid a fare in order to secure a conviction by the Magistrates.

They can charge the traveller with a breach of Byelaw 18.1, which simply requires the prosecution to prove that the traveller boarded the train without a ticket when there were ticket facilities available to them

1) Transport Investigations Ltd will "manage" this prosecution on behalf of Arriva Trains Wales.

2) Radyr railway station has a part time ticket office, (06:30-13:00), but also has a self service ticket machine, available for use at all times.

3) Arriva Trains Wales actively promotes the "Buy before you ride" message and posters warn of consequences of failing to do so.

4) A Railway Byelaw 18(1) or 18(2) prosecution should succeed, based on the circumstances described.

5) The OP has no valid defence. Intent is irrelevant.

The OP is in fantasy land if he genuinely believes that people should just be able to board a train and only pay on demand. What happens if you get off at an unstaffed station?

Therefore try to make arrangements to settle out of court or alternatively wait for a summons.

Thank you all for your reply, I guess I was just in a bad mood yesterday and didn't want to admit anything. But now I agree that I really should have brought a ticket BEFORE travelling on the train.

Instead of appealing I am going to write a letter of apology, stating that I was in the wrong and that I won't be making this mistake again in the future. I'm also going to ask if this matter could be dealt with outside of court and that I'm willing to pay any unpaided fares and administration costs. Do you think this is the sensible option? I wasn't aggressive in any way to the staff that questioned me and I'm going to admit my fault and pay anything I owe, so I don't see why they should fight back against me for doing this?

Thanks again for clearing everything up for me, everyone gave great detail in there answer and I really appreciate it.

Any idea of the sort of thing that I should be mentioning in this letter?

I've got a basic structure and just asking a few people for suggestions as to how to make it some more professional, etc.

EDIT:

Also, my girlfriend was travelling with me on this day and I was being a gentleman offering to buy her ticket. She is currently travelling abroad and won't be back for a number of weeks. Would it be appropriate to send a letter on her behalf, with her consent of course. I've got her reference number, etc.

Hello again.

I'm not sure about what you can do about your girlfriend, but I expect the guys will know.

If you wanted to, you could post up a suggested wording, minus personal details. I have one suggestion from seeing this before, rather than say you're willing to pay, etc, ask if they would be willing to let you.

I hope there will be more replies for you later.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

I'm not going to use this as an argument (although I will mention it in my letter) but I have in the past brought a ticket at Queen Street station when travelling from Radyr (aka not buying a ticket before I got on the train) and not been stopped/questioned/etc.

And, I'm sure if I go in tomorrow and try to buy a ticket at Queen Street station then they will sell me a ticket without asking me why I don't already have one.

I don't see how they can enforce a rule on a single day and then not on other days? Either you enforce the rule all the time or not at all. Anyone have an opinion on this?

Simple, the Revenue Protection teams are only so many people and are often moving about between the different stations. Often they are assigned where the TOC views the most likely occurrences of ticketless travel etc. Using information from guards/ station staff plus going by events that have a large volume of passengers travelling by train. Im sure First Class or OC will explain better!

Still on the lookout for buried treasure!

Any advice I give here is based on my own experiences throughout my life, career and training and should not be taken as accurate. If in doubt, speak to someone more qualified - a Solicitor, Citizens Advice to name but two possible avenues!

In the case of Arriva Trains Wales, the reason for differing outcomes is down to the way staff are allocated.

Revenue Protection Assistants (RPAs) are generally trained in basic revenue protection techniques, like Unpaid Fare Notices, excess fares etc. If equipped with an Avantix machine, they should only sell full, undiscounted fares to those arriving from a station with ticket facilities. Alternatively, they may direct the customer to the excess fare office who should apply the same conditions.

There are often only 1/2 members of RPAs at each gateline, therefore because of the sheer number of customers, especially at Cardiff area stations, they are more likely to just make you buy a ticket. Each gated station on the ATW network has Revenue Protection Assistants in attendance whilst the gates are operational. At other times they may roam trains assisting conductors selling tickets on busy trains. They can, like any rail staff, demand your name and address, should they believe you have committed, or have tried to commit, an offence. If RPIs (below) are present, the RPAs will direct you to them instead. Ultimately, a lone RPA has to supervise the gateline whilst answering constant questions etc, so they simply haven't got the time to deal with the amount of people who could be reported. In addition, a lone RPA could be putting himself in a position of danger if the customer is aggressive.

ATW also has Revenue Protection Inspectors. These are based in London but are contracted to patrol the entire ATW network, as required. The network is massive, from Holyhead/Llandudno/Chester to Cardiff/Swansea/Birmingham and every shack in between. There are only around 10-15 RPIs, so they tend to stick together in large groups and target specific areas for a week or so, e.g. spend 1 week in North Wales, 1 week in Shrewsbury/Crewe/Midlands, 1 week in South Wales etc.

RPIs are PACE trained and will caution customers who have committed an offence.

It is quite effective, because after these large revenue protection exercises, word gets round for the next month or two, and the problem is resolved. By the time people start thinking it was a one off event, and resume buying at the other end/on board, the next exercise has begun.

Large interchange stations like Chester/Cardiff/Birmingham are particularly effective locations.

Edited by firstclassx

I'm sure if I go in tomorrow and try to buy a ticket at Queen Street station then they will sell me a ticket without asking me why I don't already have one.

If you have been reported for prosecution and therefore have been made fully aware of the rules, why would you not buy a ticket before travelling and risk a second prosecution?

It was a "what if?" statement. At the moment I have a seasonal ticket which I use at Queen Street station.

I just wanted to make the fact that if I had gone to the station this week and done exactly what I did in the week I was cautioned, nothing would have happened.

Also the fact that there are probably hundreds of people doing exactly what I did and not getting cautioned now.

It must be different for ATW because I know many people who choose to buy there ticket on the train or at the destination station becuase they know this is what they have done in the past.

I'm not trying to start an arguement sorryy, just wanted to make a point.

It doesn't really matter now anyway.

I've sent my letter of apology, admiting my wrong and stating that I want to settle this matter out of court by asking for any arrangements they have for me to pay any outstanding fares and fees that I owe. Hopefully they should get back to me soon and this can be sorted without any hassle.

Edited by buzzar

The travel I made in regard to the letter I received was just a one off.

Normally I travel into Cardiff daily and so get a seasonal ticket.

I've been doing this for years, but whenever I need to travel in for a single day, a return ticket is the only appropiate ticket I can get. This ticket is one I usually purchase on board the train or at Queen Street.

OK, but that's not going to alter he fact that the signs at stations, on posters and timetables intruct that the ticket must be purchased before boarding and that doesn't matter whether it's a season ticket or a day ticket. You'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Any idea how long it will take to receive a reply letter back from the train investigation company, if I get a reply at all?

It took them over a month to send the first letter, from the day I was cautioned at the station to the day that I received the letter (even though I was told within 5 working days by the person who questioned me?)

Hello again.

I hope the guys will be along soon to give you an idea of when you might hear. If they were to advise ringing, although this is probably a bit soon, do you have a number and a case reference?

Fwiw, the first letter usually takes 4-6 weeks, so the person who questioned you may have been mistaken.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Don't worry about what the feller at the station 'said'. The turn-around gets quicker at each stage; viz. at each stage you provide them incrementally with more information and therefore it gets easier to make a decision / speed the process along. Say, a couple of weeks max.

*On edit: Of course it all depends on variables, staffing levels, holidays, AoG etc.

I promised that I'd post on this forum when I got a reply so here I am.

Got a letter in the post this morning; looks a standard letter which made no appropriate comments to the letter I sent them in reply to their first letter.

Although I’m a bit disappointed they made no effort to personally address the issues I brought up, I understand that they must get hundreds of letters a day.

Anyway, the letter stated that because I had no previous records with them that I could simply pay the unpaid fare along with all administration cost.

This came to a total of £42.50.

I have no idea how they came up with this figure, seems a bit ridiculous to me but I'm just going to pay it and move on with my life.

Hopefully they'll use the money to improve the rail network and not their wages.

So thank you everyone for your help, hopefully you won’t hear from me again.

I would say, going by the figures given by some on here who are offered the chance to settle for an administrative penalty rather than face court, you've been made a very generous offer and are right to accept it.

Glad the matter is now sorted to your satisfaction.

Feebee_71