Manual Intervention

ldwhittaker
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6428 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've just received my duplicate statements from the Nationwide. I used the DPA disclosure letter requesting information on any manual interventions.

I received a letter with the statements, saying "Over the course of the last six years, manual processes may have been applied to your account in order to ensure the smooth running of your facilities. If you have conducted any of the following activities, some degree of manual intervention will have been involved......" and they list 27 items (!) including "Set up/amendment/cancellation/return of Direct Debits and Standing Orders", "Cheque transactions, including returned cheques", "card transactions".

This is obviously a very generalised statement and list of activities, but is it sufficient to counter any claim I make for a refund of their charges?

Any advice would be very appreciated, as I'm a bit nervous about challenging them.

If you used the DPA template letter, then it will have requested specific details of manual intervention in YOUR account. They have just given a list whereby manual intervention may be used - if they did not indicate whether this was used in YOUR account then that imples that it did not take place...I think (IMHO) that if they raised specific details at a later stage, then it would show that they have not acted fully upon your request...

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

some degree of manual intervention will have been involved......"

Just re-read this line - to me that would suggest that 'some degree' could also include 'none whatsoever...'

Good luck.

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Awww, bless their cotton socks, they're trying to dodge that one like that...

I can tell you now that one of the archived letters we have from Nationwide says the exact opposite, and confirms that the systems are automated and that it would be impossible to monitor each account individually, or words to that effect.

I can also tell you that it doesn't matter if they say that, the OFT has made it quite clear that any charge over £12 will be deemed automatically unfair, and there's not a lot Nationwide can do about that.

In other words, they're fighting a rear-guard action trying to justify the unjustifiable and hoping we will quietly go away. And look at yourself, it could nearly work if you let them!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I sent my first letter on 11th April, and got my fob off reply yesterday. Pretty quick response from them with Easter in between! Doesn't take much to print and send a standard reply though!

So, second letter will be let loose over the weekend.

editsign.gifPOST MOVED. PLS STAY ON THE ONE THREAD PER CLAIM, IT WILL MAKE LIFE EASIER FOR ALL, ICLUDING YOURSELF!!!

I got the same letter with my statements. I've replied to the Data Protection Team saying that this did not fulfill my request.

I'm giving them 7 days to provide me with the information requested in my request (as opposed to another letter evading the question) before I report them to the IC. I've told them that their reply must have full details of who, when, where, what, why and how in relation to ANY manual intervention in my account.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I got a VERY HELPFUL letter which although it didn't answer the question, did confirm that charges for unpaid DDs, SOs etc are applied AUTOMATICALLY.

I am currently waiting to see if I should add this to my LBA before sending it. It must make a difference to be able to add "By the way, I have written confirmation that these charges are applied automatically and therefore your charges cannot be a genuine pre-estimate of cost."

I plan on reporting them to the IC for continued evasion of the question.

Martin

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I've had a reply to my LBA, from Brian Cooper, Member Relations Manager, Northampton, which states amongst other things:

"We believe our charges are levied in anppropriate and transparent manner. Up to now we've already refunded £192.50, in January 2005, so I'm sorry to let you know that we can't agree to your request to repay any more."

I'm furious with this response - the charges refunded were due to their cashiering error where they misallocated £300 cash that I'd paid into my account to avoid incurring charges! This was totally their error, so the charges were erroneous!

Should I write again pointing this out, or go straight to the court action?

• 4 months later...

After having spent hours, possibly days considering whether to pursue my claim through the court, I finally decided to go ahead, and last week on 4/10/06 logged my claim on "Money claim online".

I checked my bank account today (looking for a refund from my electricity provider) and I have been credited all my charges and fees on 11/10/06. Fantastic!

£1421.86 claim, plus £385.28 court fees + interest.

Thanks Consumer Action Group I would not have done this without your website and forum.

Still can't believe it!

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/08/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6428 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks