• Tweets

• we know them well. you TOTALLY ignore them. NO DCA is a BAILIFF  
    • I've read loads of old messages about what to do but feel my case is different, it's a bit of a back story so ill break it down. - Had a letter from an Italian province in July of 2020 for a speeding offence in 2019 for 575 euros, was in a hire car I used for work, no longer work for them and heard nothing from either. - Thought blimey, but went to pay it anyway, it had doubled to over 1100 euros, yeah I can't afford paying that, filled out the attached information sheet to say it was me driving but I have no money or job due to COVID (true story) and sent it back (durrrr) - Heard nothing until December of 2023, a letter from an appointed solicitor from Florence saying if I don't pay, we will chase you through the legal system with costs born by you. - May of this year, I get a letter from CLI (Credit Limits International) saying they have been appointed to carry out the collection, £1475. - Stupidly, I started the 'three letter process' asking for proof etc, and they replied a few days ago with a copy of the fines I had received from Italy, they stated the debt has no terms and conditions as it relates to a fine in Italy and the debt is not subject to the Consumer Credit agreement. I translate that to "at the moment we don't own the debt and have been given authority from Italy to pursue the debt". That is where I am currently at, I would begrudge giving in and paying an obscene amount. As seen from similar threads, I know a threat of a visit is coming, followed by a threat of court action, but annoyingly it hasn't been mentioned how these cases were concluded and the threads are now locked. I've read to ignore them, but can't help but feel that because it's such a substantial amount that they will feel it's worthy of pursuing this no matter the hoops they have to jump through. Along with admitting it was me driving and opening the can of worms by contacting the DCA, it wouldn't look good for me should it ever get to a courtroom.  Has anyone with previous experience managed to 'get away with it'? Anyone know what they're capable of other than nagging me? I'm not after any moral judgment. Forgot to add, got friends in Italy, and one of them rang the Police where the fine came from, and her reply was “Tell your friend it’s not a big deal, it’s only a speeding fine we’re not going to chase him, tell him in future to take his foot off the gas, however it he returns to a Italy and gets control checked, he would be held until the fine is paid”  A bit odd I thought, considering I am being chased now.
    • take the SD card out and put on a pc/laptop then run recuva on it in  select videos only option select specific location hit browse then select drive letter of the SD card. then next  then deep scan then go have a cup of tea..  when done dont recover the all files back to the card select a new folder on your pc/laptop        
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

reclaiming bailliffs charges

conncat
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6272 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I wonder if anyone can advise?:confused: :confused:

I was away in August & the bailliffs called at my house for collection of nonpayment of a parking fine, they put a notice on my car window saying the car had been imobolised, my parents visited & saw the letter as did a neighbour, mymother called the bailiffs & they said she would have to pay £624.70, this she did, she then asked if they could come & reverse the imbolisation, to which they replied they had done it from the office. Both my Parents & my neighbour say the car wasnt clamped.

They have charged £600 for one parking fine.

Can I claim back some of the charges that seem excessive?

The Bailliffs are DRAKES.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont see how they could have immobilised it from the office, sounds like bull sh*t to me.

Drakes featured heavily in Whistleblower, exposing them for the animals that they are.

As recently suggested to myself.

Send Drakes a letter asking for a full breakdown of the debt, including payments made by yourself and charges imposed by them.

Arent they also in breach of the rules governing Bailiffs? I believe they are not allowed to leave any notice on your door or property unless in a sealed envelope, so as to not cause alarm and distress to the debtor and allowing other people such as neighbours etc knowing your business with the basiliff??

Friendship costs nothing but its rewards can be priceless. Do not judge, as you will not be judged but if you can, try and assist where possible.:smile:

everyone is entitled to MY opinion!:D

I offer my comments without prejudice or liability.

If you found my advice helpful, please click the scales at the top.

Hi Conn,

First I would check the rules and regs in relation to what bailifs can and cant do, they are on the webiste somewhere but cant remember myself, maybe someone else might be able to point you in the right direction. ( I do know that I have read it here somewhere though)

Friendship costs nothing but its rewards can be priceless. Do not judge, as you will not be judged but if you can, try and assist where possible.:smile:

Is not one of the "things to do ", for this forum is to campaign against the

outrageously high levies that are applied by the govenment firstly for a parking

fine, and then for the non payment of parking fines.

Here we have a not untypical situation. An original parking fine has escalated to

more than £600! Absolutely staggering. And totally out of all proportion to the original offence.

Arent they also in breach of the rules governing Bailiffs? I believe they are not allowed to leave any notice on your door or property unless in a sealed envelope, so as to not cause alarm and distress to the debtor and allowing other people such as neighbours etc knowing your business with the basiliff??

They have Codes Of Practice which they ignore. They do what they like. Even when you complain to them pointing out the many codes of practice that they have broken, they ignore you.

It's a sad situation that it seems as though there is nowhere to turn. :mad:

I totally agree Lookin, I think it is scandalous that such a thing as a parking fine of say £40:00 can escelate so much, these excessive fees apllied are making people bad debtors which they are not, they just cant afford the exorbitant charges added. Its time these CCA's were taken to task over this and an end put to it. But will that happen?? No, the MP's are on the gravy train and dont want to work for their constituants, too much hard work for £60K for the 6 mths the Houses of Parliament sit each year!!!

ok now lets look at this from the start was the ticket as a lot of councils are finding out the wrong thing printed on the tickrt or not invalidates it (check out Neil Herron)

secondly falcon185 is right the bailiff is not allowed to tell people why they are looking for you if they need to leave a letter it must be in a sealed envelope .

read Bailiffs and Bailiff Laws | Payplan

One of the problems dealing with bailiffs and their unlawful actions is the general

vagueness by the powers that be as to what is and what is not lawful. It might

be frowned upon, but is it unlawful?

For instance the following url is from the OFT, which claims to give guidance to

the operators of bailiffs and in which they point out that infringements can lead to the loss of their licence. Yeah right. How many will lose their licence over the

recent watchdog programme? Anyway if it helps in your case, here it is

http://www.csa-uk.com/Documents/OFT%20debt%20collection%20-%20guidance%20only%20_July%202003.pdf

Hi, couldn't reply back last night had to go out.

Thanks for all the advice.

What they stuck to the car had supposedly a breakdown of charges including imobolising the car (clamping) which they did not do.

The original fine was for £40.

Should I still contact them asking for a further breakdown??

Any suggestions?

Thankyou

Hi Conn,

it appears that they have breached the OFT guidlines, I would ask for a complete breakdown of the charges from then and then report them to the OFT in relation to the notice they left on your car unsealed, in full view for enyone passing to see.

STOP

Your going the wrong way, first of all you need to find out what you have been charged.

I am entitled to make a written request for a full breakdown of the fees the bailiffs have added on to my debt and now I must insist that I am in repcict by 4pm Wednesday 18th October 2006 (give them 7 days).

Please ensure it is itemised and shows clearly what fees where added what these fees where for and the date they where added and also shows clearly what payments I made and the dates of these payments.

If you fail to send this I will make a formal complaint to the court that issued Mr XXX certificate.

The sealed envelope is a side issue that may or may not be used later as the guidelines are just that guide lines and making a complaint to the OFT at this point is a waste of time.

Oops,

thanks for putting me straight Zooman, its a pity the guidlines arent strictly monitored though but reading your response I agree its a side issue. The main priority should be the request for the full breakdown of charges and go from there.

Only joined yesterday, and have to say that the site is great and there are a lot of people with a good knowledge of bailiff matters ( Zooman ) being one. Well done.

As a Debt Counsellor, I have many situations that bailiffs have acted wrongly, ie; Charges not in line with statutory regulations , "phantom visits" etc

I would like to ask two questions: the first is concerning Detailed Assessment of Costs, where we already have the full response by way of an S7.

The correct method for Detailed Assessment in court is very expensive indeed and in fact the cost has increased by nearly 90% !! which prohibits most people from going this route. What suggestions can any of you let me have as a cheaper method of applying to the courts for fees to be looked at.

Second question, it is a fact there there are many "Certificated Bailiffs" collecting at doorsteps and taking goods who have not in fact got a Certificate. There is a complaint method available in the court, but this is in respect of Certificated Bailiffs, any idea what the case is where he has never had a certificate. Any help would be gratefuly appreciated.

A client of mine has a case in the first week of Novemeber where the bailiff has been ordered into court after our complaint, but in this case he had been certificated in the past but allowed his certificate to lapse by 6 months. I will keep everyone updated on the progress.

HI Herbie,

if a Bailiff Co isnt certificated but states on documentation that it is, wouldnt this be obtaining Money/property by deception? A criminal offence in itself?

Thank you for that Falcon, you are correct, in fact it is also trespass, that much is correct. To collect on behalf of a Local Authority for unpaid council tax, business rates, parking tickets etc etc, by law you have to be a Certificated Bailiff.

Remarkably, a lot of people assume that as long as the company are certificated that ok...it's not.

Ask any person who has had a bailiff at their door if they were shown a certifcate and you will find that what is show is normally just identification , in other words a phot ID. Everyone beware, a Certificated Bailiff would have an ID that not only has a stamp from the court, but is personally signed by the District Judge !!!

If the bailiff can not produce this and can not tell you the date and the court that he was certificated in....close the door immediately. In fact, I would go so far as to consider telephoning the police.

Thanks for that Herbie,

Keep us posted as to what happens with the Lapsed Bailiff when it goes to Court, I'm sure a lot of people will be interested as to the outcome ;-)

Bazza