Unresolved Insurance Claim - Hastings Direct

rwaddell81
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4163 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Please note: This is a separate query to the post (similar) in the Debt Collection Industry forums The OP is looking for advice / answers on the shoddy way Hastings have behaved in this. citizenB - Site team

***************************************************************************************************

Hi there,

I am posting my situation here in the hope that someone will be able to provide advice ad guidance. Here goes:

In June this year, my car was written off by the insurance company. I called my finance company (Mini finance) and explained the situation. They seemed happy with this, and requested that I keep them updated on the progress of the insurance claim.

The insurers have been dragging their heels since the claim was raised. It took 3 attempts to raise the claim in the first place. My insurers are Hastings Direct.

Despite numerous letters and telephone calls between myself and the insurers, the claim is still not finally settled. Their initial payment cheques was issued unsigned, and as mentioned, they have been dragging their heels in settling, by issuing cheques for the wrong amounts or not issuing cheques at all. Each telephone call to the insurers is followed by a call to the finance company updating them.

Due to the length of time it is taking to resolve this claim, a debt collection agency has become involved. They are called Bluestone Credit Management. Despite Mini finance informing me via telephone that this may happen, I have yet to receive a letter from them, that Bluestone have bought over the debt (which they have done as confirmed in a call today to Mini finance), and that Mini re no longer administrating the account. Mini are however happy to still receive cheques from the insurance company to reduce the amount outstanding, and then pass this information along to Bluestone.

Despite asking for confirmatory letters from the insurers as to when cheques have been sent out, and from Mini as to receipt, I am still waiting.

I have had a call today from Bluestone looking for payment in full. I have informed them that the claim is still in dispute and that I am unwilling to make any payments until this situation is resolved. I don’t think this to be an unreasonable stance to take as it is my money after all. However, the representative started to become quite pushy and insistant that I make payment today. I had to talk over her, and I informed her that as the conversation was going nowhere, and that my situation was not being taken into account, that I was terminating the phone call. Which I did.

Today, I received a letter from Bluestone to the effect that they are acting on behalf on Mini finance, and that they want payment of the full amount BY RETURN. Cheques are to be made out to Mini finance but sent to Bluestone.

I have lodged a complaint with the Financial Ombudsman Service over the insurer’s valuation of my vehicle, and as this is currently ongoing, this is my reasoning for not making payment.

Now the figures! At the time my car was written off, there was just over £16000 to pay on the finance. At the time of buying the car, I did not take out gap insurance as Mini were looking for a further £500 on top of a £500 cash deposit. There was no opportunity to spread this payment over a period of time.

To date, the insurers have paid out a total of £15,271. £12,480 (after the excess was deducted (that was £345)). £962 after they identified that they had valued the vehicle incorrectly (wrong model despite my insurance details being correct foe the model). £601 after I complained about the value of the vehicle. £883 for accessories which would enhance the desirability of the vehicle (and £345 excess deducted). And a final cheque for £345 to cover the second excess amount that was deducted.

This leaves an outstanding amount of £1271.76, however Bluestone are looking for £2499.76, as they have not factored in the final 2 amounts paid by the insurers. They have been told this, but they don’t seem to be interested in knowing the details.

The insurers have said that they have paid out 81% of the vehicle value. My car was bought for £17,643.20 excl VAT (£20701.02 incl VAT). 81% of either amount is not £15,271.

I have been paying insurance premiums based on the car’s value being £16,000.

I do not know if I have answered my own question in this post, but is there anything further I can do?

Edited by citizenB

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi rwaddell81, I am glad that you have taken the time to post here on CAG and I hope that the members are able to provide some helpful advice. I am sorry to hear about the situation and would like to offer my assistance, if you send me the details I am sure that I can help you get this matter resolved. My contact email address is [email protected] Many Thanks, Jamie

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Robert, I just wanted to post and let you know that I have made the relevant members of our team aware of this situation and passed on the details you have provided above. If you have any update please feel free to post it or contact me directly via email. [email protected] Many Thanks, Jamie