• Tweets

• It's a GR Yaris - Finance is with Alphera, who are part of BMW I believe. I'm sure the unit is very expensive to repair, I have even told them I would be happy with a refurbished/reconditioned unit, in trying to be reasonable as well.
    • Without seeing this envelope, document and sticker it is impossible to advise properly. However, just going on what you have told us, there are two ways you can deal with this: !. The easy way. This has the lowest risk but the guarantee of a penalty for speeding.  You can respond to the SJPN by pleading “Not Guilty” to both charges. In the “Reasons for pleading Not Guilty” box you can explain that you responded to the request for driver’s details but it was recently returned to you, seemingly not actioned. However, you are willing to plead guilty to the speeding charge providing, and only providing, the “Fail to Provide Driver's Details" (FtP) charge is dropped. You could also ask the court to consider sentencing you at the fixed penalty level (£100 and 3 points) as this prosecution seems to be the result of an administrative problem outside your control. 2. The not so easy way with higher risk. This could see you convicted of the FtP charge but has the possibility that you escape with no penalty whatsoever. You can do the same – plead not guilty to both charges. You can mention in the “Reasons” box that you returned the request for driver’s details as required. If you go down this route the speeding charge cannot succeed as they have no evidence you were driving. This comes from your response to the request for driver’s details which the police say they have not got. You will then face a trial for the FtP charge and you can produced your response together with the envelope and sticker showing it had been returned to you. The risk with this is that if your defence fails you will be fined a week and a half’s net income, pay a “Victim Surcharge” of 40% of the fine, pay prosecution costs of around £650 and have six points together with an endorsement code (MS90) which will see your insurance premiums rocket.  
    • Probably very expensive to replace what car and model who is your finance with ?   Andy
    • Topic moved to Financial legal Issues forum in view of the claim form. Topic title updated Please continue to post here, Andy   .
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

David Lloyd probems.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3981 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Although I'm inclined to ignore ARC's letter, I think a brief reply should be sent :-

Dear sir,

I refer to your letter of xxdate.

In my previous letter to you of xxdate, I made it very clear that this matter was in dispute with the David Lloyd gym, who failed to acknowledge my offer to them.

I look forward to receiving the Court Claim which I will vigorously defend. I have already told the gym I will rely upon the precedents set in the High Court by Mr Justice Kitchin in his ruling and Penal Order made against Ashbourne Management Services Ltd in 2011.

If you choose not to issue proceedings but, instead, continue to made demands for payment, I will make a formal complaint about your actions to the OFT without further warning.

Your faithfully,

No need for Rec'd Del'y on this.

:wink:

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I'd just send the letter on it's own.

You have no need to deal with ARC or prove anything to them.

If they are serious about preparing a court claim, let them do it and we'll deal with that as necessary.

If they fail to take the action they have threatened, that will speak volumes in itself.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

• 2 weeks later...

Received this on Friday from ARC.

"Please note that ARC (Europe) Ltd is a debt collection "agent", acting in good faith on the instructions received from a "disclosed" principal, namely David Lloyd Leisure. We are therefore authorised to write to you in connection with the above matter and to instruct solicitors in contemplation of Court Proceedings where we consider it appropiate to do so.

We have acted in accordance with our clients instructions and within current collection legislation and guidance. We reserve the right to produce our correspondence to any Tribunal, regulatory body or investigating authority to prove our compliance and good conduct in this matter.

We are instructed that our clients contracts have been checked for compliance, fairness and reasonableness. Our client confirmed thay have not had any contact from you or received an offer of payment.

We are instructed that you did not cancel your membership in accordance with the agreed T & C's as you are required to give notice to cancel. Please provide proof of cancellation in order for us to refer the matter back to our clent for further instructions. ie, a receipt from royal Mail confirming delivery of your notice to cancel or a letter/receipt from our client acknowledging your notice to cancel.

We are instructed that the above balance remains outstanding and must be paid in absence of your proof. I order to settle this matter our client is prepared to accept £261.19. Please be advised that this offer is made as a gestue of goodwill and on the condition that payment is received within the next 14 days."

That is now the 6th figure I have been quoted to settle up. Me thinks the judge would laugh this out of court.

Edited by slick132
Put in paras so we can read it

Hi Von,

And there was us, expecting them to confirm court action was being taken because it's over 10 days from their last threat.

Ignore this completely - there's nothing you need add to what you've already told the gym and ARC.

Maybe the amounts differ because they are adding admin fees. :?:

You made a reasonable offer and the gym failed to accept it. If they want to take this to court, you have every chance of success.

Let them stew .............. :-D

Edited by slick132
typo

Thanks for replying to my PM.

You no longer have the m/ship agree't which I wanted to check.

If they persist with demands, I may ask you to request the agree't from the gym.

:-D

Hi Von,

Re your PM, you're absolutely right to ignore DL's text asking you to call a number urgently.

If they have anything to tell you, they'll have to write !!

:-)

• 2 weeks later...

Received this today from ARC.

Despite our previous correspondence, we understand that the above balance remain outstanding. A County Court Claim has therefore been prepared against you and can be issued in the Northampton County Court.

If this matter is passed to our solicitors, our client will claim the following:

Debt Balance £311.19

Court Fee £30.00

Solicitors Costs £50.00

Annual Interest (to be adjusted pro rata £24.90

TOTAL £416.09

As you can see the issue of Court Proceedings will mean that the amount claimed by our client could increase by as much as £104.90

IF YOU IGNORE THIS LETTER WE MAY PASS THIS MATTER TO OUR SOLICITORS TO ISSUE THE CLAIM WITHOUT FURTHER NOTICE.

Martin Wicks (FCILEx) Chartered Legal Executive

Legal Manager ARC

The bullying and harassment continues.

Yawn...........

Issue court proceedings (which will be properly defended) or shut up !!

Just ignore............ :-)

Thanks Slick.

Was doing a bit of research online re Ashbourne M.S. and read a lot about the Watchdog case.

Me thinks that as they have been well and truly caught out on the 12 months plus contracts, their latest ploy is catching peeps out on the 3 month cancellation notice whic is their new money making exercise. (Along with twisting the rules for clients who have moved abroad, have injuries, etc.)

I have been round the block a few years and have dealt with dozens of businesses and utility companies - some good, some bad. I support the latter ones who have fair customer services where things can be easily sorted out with a phone call or letter - even when its a case of 'give and take' when disputing stuff. I have never come across a more horrible and aggressive company than DL and after reading about Ashbourne, I would recommend anyone to never touch them with a bargepole.

Von :-)

http://subrosa-blonde.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09/but-seriously-guest-post.htmlCame across this blog by chance and although it was written September 2011, users on here might find it useful. Please check out the legislation re County Courts and where you live - I am being threatened with Court in Northampton and I live in Preston. Its all threats, intimidation, bluffing and blustering from ARC to get law abiding peeps to pay.Hope the article helps. :o)

I drew a blank when I used the link.

Can you check it and link again, thanks.

Hiya again,

I have been recently plagued with recorded messages from DL on both my moby and main phone for me to ring them - its being going on since Thursday or Friday, at least 2 calls a day apart from Sat & Sun. I also got a text this morning from ARC asking the same, for me to contact them.

Should I make an official complaint to OFT ASAP or write to ARC warning them and their client to stop making calls forthwith with the threat of complaint?

I obviously have ignored their messages but getting a tad cheesed off with their bullying methods. Me thinks they have run out of options and are trying the good old fashion phone methods. Especially in light of ARCs' Not so clever Trevor getting whacked for £75,000.

Write to the gym and copy to ARC saying:-

If you continue to plague me with repeated phone calls, a formal complaint for harassment will be lodged with the OFT.

ARC have already said that court proceedings will follow and I will defend such proceedings as necessary.

In the meantime, you must cease your campaign of calling.

I also reserve the right to take court action against DL seeking damages and costs for harassment.

Okey Dokey.

Above letter sent to DL head office via recorded delivery.

Copy not sent to ARC as I have formally complained to OFT today due to ARC phoning me on my main phone and moby today after specifically warning them via letter recently about future demands for payments and harassment. I did warn them. :violin:

If you want details of the OFT contact that I've been liaising with, let me know and I'll fwd to you by PM.

Thanks Slick - I posted it off yesterday and listed the phone calls, letters, harassment in a clear and concise manner. I addressed it to Dear Sir/Madam but if you want to send me the name of your contact as it could be useful if they get in touch with me. I think that would be doubtful though due to the high volume of complaints OFT get though.

If it's already gone, leave it at that for now.

If they fail to acknowledge within 3 weeks, let me know and I'll send you the contact info to resend.

Hi Von,

In response to your PM, I've sent you the OFT contact details to file a complaint against DL and ARC for continued phone harassment when the matter remains in dispute.

Good to hear you're logging time and dates of all calls.