Can the electricity company cut me off in winter if I have children by forcing a prepayment meter I cant afford?

Johnny121
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4169 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ok I know they cant cut me off in winter if I have children.

Can they however forcefully install a meter (via the courts and a lock smith) that I cant afford to use? (effectively cutting me off)

Because they wont just instal a normal meter I will have to pay off part of my 4000 pound debt and pay for what I normally use and im on benefits at the moment and in serious financial difficulty/debt and I cant afford to eat let alone pay my bills!

The electricity company is E-On they are on the verge of taking the case to court to apply for the rights to force me to install the meter/ to try and disconnect me.

It is a bitter pill to swallow & other posters have (and hopefully will) advise on sources of grants and ways to save on costs.

If you accept that you are going to end up on a pre-payment meter then it is a case of "damage limitation".

Can you invite them in to change the meter?

I know it is not "what you want", but if it is going to happen anyway, why not avoid the associated costs (court +/- locksmith).

I wish there was a way I could say "do this, you won't get a prepayment meter", but if you have a large debt to them, that is at/close to the "warrant" stage, it is likely a "done deal" unless you can dispute the bill as grossly inflated.

Have you taken advice (on CAG or elsewhere) about your debts and the best way forward for you?, It is a thread on its own but have you looked at your income and expenditure, claiming back anything you are owed, reducing payments on non-priority debts, and if that still leaves you with a shortfall, what your options are?

• Haha 1

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Man up and accept you are going to have to pay for your electricity usage : both ongoing & for the last 5 years worth!

get the pre-payment meter fitted by agreement to avoid extra costs, and agree a repayment regime that is realistic with them.

Alternatively, should we all say "Can I have 5 years free electricity too, please? And then say "I'm not going to pay anything towards what I owe, I still expect free energy"?

Utilities are a priority debt ...... Were you expecting to never have to pay? What were you hoping for when they finally realised you weren't paying?

Edited by BazzaS