style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4232 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ok, earlier today I was in a bit of a worry because of this Equita bailiff notification I received due to Council Tax money I owe.

I made the mistake of ringing the MOBILE number given on the letter. The guy told me I owed certain amounts which I thought were massively disproportionate. He wanted to pop round mine to 'discuss the debts.' So I decided to leave that, because it felt dodgy.

I rang Manchester City Council (whom I had called earlier and they had told me to contact the bailiff, which I'd done, unfortunately) and said I wanted to pay what I owe. I paid the sum to the Council, got my receipt reference number and whatnot. So the KEY debt is out the way.

However, I go downstairs (I live in an apartment block) to go to the shop and find a NEW hand delivered letter by the door from the same guy I'd spoken to on the phone before. It reads like this:

"BAILIFF REMOVAL

Payment due in full - 24 hours

I have attended today with the intention of removing your goods and chattels as are necessary to discharge the outstanding Council Tax Liability Order and any additional ENFORCEMENT COSTS incurred.

No further arrangements are acceptable and payment is required in full in clear funds only.

I will re-attend at your address with immediate effect and may REMOVE goods even in your absense. Should you wish to avoid this distressing course of action, contact me immediately on the telephone number below to arrange prompt payment of your debt.

No contact will be taken as your refusal to pay."

---

I've paid my Council Tax debt now though! What do I owe to to these bailiffs? Phantom visits? The guy didn't even ring my apartment buzzer.

What course of action should I take to resolve this?

They wont be calling to remove any goods a standard letter

the debt is paid to the council right thing to do

bailiffs will probably drop off a few more letters before they give up i would not phone bailiff or speak to him at all

first visit fee is £24.50 so at most you MAY have to pay that pay it to the council and they can either pay bailiff or knock it off current years CT

any liability order is satisfied so bailiffs have nothing to act on

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

If that's true, that's a load off my shoulders. Thanks. I've just been scouring these forums for the last couple hours reading all these horror stories. Hopefully it'll be alright now then. Is the £24.50 the only possible fee I'll have to pay for definite?

Yes should not be any more than the first visit fee

bailiffs lie and will try to add on there made up fees but don't give in to them

In the past i have paid the balance to the council never did pay bailiff fees

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)