plasterer problem

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4226 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all, I have received some wonderful advice on here in the debt sections for myself, but this question is for some work my mum has just had done. Basically, my mum has had her house renovated over the last year and she has recently had a plasterer company in to give a quote for coving. My mum has some coving up in a small room, where one piece has been removed to allow for some electrical work, this was the coving she pointed out to the plasterer that she wanted, and it's quite obvious its plaster coving.

However, yesterday the plasterer came in and has fitted cheap polystyrene paper covered coving. To be honest, it doesn't look much different decorative wise, however, where it has been put up around her chimney, because it has been filled with decorators caulk, which cannot be sanded, the joins look really rough. With plaster coving, he would have been able to fill with plaster filler and the sanded to get a good look.

The main issue is the joins where is caulked filled and how to smooth these, but also the are parts in this Coving that have dents in. I've read this type of Coving is a much cheaper option but is not hard wearing at all, andI'm concerned she has been ripped off when she did point out the coving she wanted.

He seems like a decent guy and is coming to discuss with me today, but mum has paid him, and got no receipt!!!

I wondered where she stood? Are we in our right to request at least the damaged and Poorly fitted ones are replaced?? Could she request the whole lot be done again in plaster coving??

Any help would be hugely appreciated. Silly mum for not getting a receipt she is a fool :-(

Why oh why no receipt. It's still not too late to 'demand' one and I suppose she paid by cash and not a traceable method like a cheque.

It depends on how forceful she/you are and how intimidating the plasterer is. If she gave instructions at the outset for something to be done a certain way and/or with a certain material, then that is how it should be done.

If she don't get the satisfaction she wants, then she can tell the plasterer if he doesn't fix it she whill get someone in to do the job how she asked and will bill him for those costs.

Anything said would be best recorded and sent in a follow up letter sent recorded delivery.