Admiral multi car insurance Was it miss sold?

julesjake
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4199 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

:-(

Hi all my daughter needed car insurance and rang admiral for a quote ...Being 17 and a new driver it was very high, She was asked how many vehicles inthe family , and was told about a multi-car policy where she would receive adiscount as other members of the family joined the multi-car policy….At this point I took over the phone call and asked for annual quotes for my wife’s and my car and was given competitive quotes roughly the same as we currently payfor 12 months cover,

The sales person explained that as our current policy’s expired we would have to renew with them at the pre-arranged premiums or my daughters discount that she had earned would become void and they would want the discounted amount back….. Well time has gone on and the first vehicle was insured ….. But when the paperwork came and I checked the details the expiry was in six months…..the same time my daughters insurance expires…..It now transpires that my insurance which goes on in Aug 2012 will only be valid for four months….at no stage through the initial telephone call with admiral did anybody explain this, it was sold to us to appear to be 12 months insurance for each car…At no point did any person from admiral say that all the policy’s would end as my daughters insurance ended.

Admiral apologises and say it was all clearly written out on the schedule, which it was amongst the thick small print on the back of a page hidden away…… we have clearly been ripped off question is can we do anything about it?

Any help appriciated many thanks Jules

Edited by julesjake
misstyping

When you make the complaint threaten to involve the FOS. If they did not explain the basis of the quote, they have miss sold you the Insurance. If you were given a price, they should have stated that the amount was for only 4 months, as you would have the same renewal date, as your daughters car Insurance. If Admiral failed to mention this, then they will have to make amends in some way that is acceptable to you.

Some FSA rules that apply.

Clear, fair and not misleading rule

ICOBS 2.2.2 rule_icon.gif06/01/2008When a firm communicates information, including a financial promotion, to a customer or other policyholder, it must take reasonable steps to communicate it in a way that is clear, fair and not misleading.Ensuring customers can make an informed decision

ICOBS 6.1.5 rule_icon.gif06/01/2008A firm must take reasonable steps to ensure a customer is given appropriate information about a policy in good time and in a comprehensible form so that the customer can make an informed decision about the arrangements proposed.

ICOBS 6.1.6 guide_icon.gif06/01/2008The appropriate information rule applies pre-conclusion and post-conclusion, and so includes matters such as mid-term changes and renewals. It also applies to the price of the policy.

ICOBS 6.1.7 guide_icon.gif06/01/2008The level of information required will vary according to matters such as:(1) the knowledge, experience and ability of a typical customer for the policy;

(2) the policy terms, including its main benefits, exclusions, limitations, conditions and its duration;

(3) the policy's overall complexity;

(4) whether the policy is bought in connection with other goods and services;

(5) distance communication information requirements (for example, under the distance communication rules less information can be given during certain telephone sales than in a sale made purely by written correspondence (see ICOBS 3.1.14 R)); and

(6) whether the same information has been provided to the customer previously and, if so, when.

ICOBS 6.1.8 guide_icon.gif06/01/2008In determining what is "in good time", a firm should consider the importance of the information to the customer's decision-making process and the point at which the information may be most useful. Distance communication timing requirements are also relevant (for example, the distance communication rules enable certain information to be provided post-conclusion in telephone and certain other sales (see ICOBS 3.1.14 R and ICOBS 3.1.15 R)).

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• 4 months later...

Hello

I have just had exactly this. I admit I should have noticed that the end date of the policy was not what I expected, I did cock up there, but I would NEVER have bought the policy if I'd known that my husbands November renewal date and my January one would merge into November for both and a demand for £700. I simply would not have taken out the policy. I have the notes of the conversation I made and will be making an official complaint, from which I expect nothing because it is now a done deal, both our insurances are due in 3 weeks, we don't have £700 sitting around so one car will have to come off the road. I can't politely, here, say how angry I am.

And don't bother with the FSO, it took me 18 months to sort the £18,000 Santander screwed me out of, even after they admitted liabliity it took another 7 months and the calculation that the FSO was industry set for woorking out my payment? It wasn't of course and I lost another £1000