Can anyone please give us some advice

faganagent
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4336 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

My husband and i went out last Saturday to a bar in our local area

(to celebrate our wedding anniversary) and my husband was paying for drinks and food with his debit card at the bar.

There were a couple of guys hanging around the bar area and i commented on them being rather over friendly at the time but didnt think too much of it.

We ended up staying after our meal and hubby ordered a few more drinks for the two of us

and after a hour or so the two guys came up to the table and were generally chatting and saying well done etc for 18 years of marriage blah blah and again

i said to hubby they seem over friendly.

Went home and next day went to local garden centre and wanted to buy some bits

and found hubby didnt have his bank card,

looked for card at home nowhere to be found.

Hubby was going to ring Barclays when Barclays fraud squad rang him asking had he taken out £1,000 in cash the night before,

£700 in Ladbrookes and nearly £1,300 in online shopping in the early hours.

We were lucky enough to know the owner of the bar where we went and were able to view the CCTV

which shows one of the guys appearing to take something from hubbys jacket but is unclear

and also both of them looking while he put his pin number in while paying.

Reported to police the minute Barclays rang.

owever Barclays are refusing to refund money as they say husband gave the guys his pin number which he didnt

but they were obviously looking while he entereed on paying for drinks.

£2300 of this was for our bills and and a bit of saving and the other took all our overdraft.

In a pickle now as for the first time in my 38 years our bills are bouncing and have no money in account for mortgage payment.

Barclays have just rung us now to say that it is our fault for giving over pin number - which we didnt.

Feeling very gutted and sad at the moment and just want to know if there is anything i can do

Thank you

Yes we can have a copy of the tape and not much effort they were standing next to him at the bar although the tape does show that they seemed to be interested in what we were doing as they were looking at us at our table afterwards more than perhaps they should have

Hello

My husband and i went out last Saturday to a bar in our local area (to celebrate our wedding anniversary) and my husband was paying for drinks and food with his debit card at the bar. There were a couple of guys hanging around the bar area and i commented on them being rather over friendly at the time but didnt think too much of it. We ended up staying after our meal and hubby ordered a few more drinks for the two of us and after a hour or so the two guys came up to the table and were generally chatting and saying well done etc for 18 years of marriage blah blah and again i said to hubby they seem over friendly. Went home and next day went to local garden centre and wanted to buy some bits and found hubby didnt have bank card, looked for card at home nowhere to be found. Hubby was going to ring Barclays when Barclays fraud squad rang him asking had he taken out £1,000 in cash the night before, £700 in Ladbrookes and nearly £1,300 in online shopping in the early hours. We were lucky enough to know the owner of the bar where we went and were able to view the CCTV which shows one of the guys appearing to take something from hubbys jacket but is unclear and also both of them looking while he put his pin number in while paying. Reported to police the minute Barclays rang. However Barclays are refusing to refund money as they say husband gave the guys his pin number which he didnt but they were obviously looking while he entereed on paying for drinks. £2300 of this was for our bills and and a bit of saving and the other took all our overdraft. In a pickle now as for the first time in my 38 years our bills are bouncing and have no money in account for mortgage payment. Barclays have just rung us now to say that it is our fault for giving over pin number - which we didnt. Feeling very gutted and sad at the moment and just want to know if there is anything i can do

Thank you

What a sorry affair, it is never wise to deal with matters such as this

by phone as you never actualy get to speak to someone with any real

authority to do anything positive.

I suggest you take a look at Barclays website anf find out who heads

up their fraud department, then send a formal complaint by recorded

delivery clearly stating at no time did your partner ''give'' the men the

pin number.

Also if you can get the CCTV recording showing one of them removing

something from his jacket and watching the transaction being processed

it may help.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Thank you for the daily mail website link - i have taken note but i feel the need to fight here and not sure if thats the right place. We have always maintained a cushion of about £1500 in the bank account in case anything went wrong but this has quite exceeded this and now we have gone over the overdraft too with bills coming out. Is Barclays in the right with this - it makes me feel like we should never go out again and we dont often

Hi Fagan

You say ' Barclays have just rung us now to say that it is our fault for giving over pin number - which we didnt', you clearly didn't hand them the 'pin' number, you have proof the CCTV, so they should refund the monies. If someone is looking over your shoulder and your not aware that they are doing that, what more could you have done? You need to write to them and give them the facts.

Thread has been moved to the correct forum.

Get a copy of the tape asap just in case it gets wiped or copied over (it can and does happen) write to the fraud investigation dept and if you are having cash flow issues make an appointment to go into a branch and discuss it face to face and see what the bank can do for you they may allow a temp overdraft, short term loan etc while this is being sorted, what you dont want is your normal dd's bouncing back.

We have always found that what we are told on the phone with banks is one thing but that face to face you can get a totally different result.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

See page 17 of the FSA Guide here - http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=fsa%20current%20bank%20account%20fraud&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CJEBEBYwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fsa.gov.uk%2Fpubs%2Fconsumer_info%2Fknow_your_rights_guide.pdf&ei=u53fT7OBK9Sf8gOkoLGOCw&usg=AFQjCNGrzI7dW2Oo40FQ0-BnN-CdXWYuTA

Bring this Guide to the bank's attention and they should be unable to refuse to refund the stolen money.

You need to keep all communication with the bank in writing, by letter or email, so you have copies of all that's said. Phone calls are useless in trying to resolve such matters.

Make sure the police are actively involved as this will help show that you were not involved and that you were the victim of theft.

If at any time the bank asks for a copy of the CCTV footage, do not send them your only copy. Make a copy to send but keep your copy as back-up.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)