• Tweets

• I've read loads of old messages about what to do but feel my case is different, it's a bit of a back story so ill break it down. - Had a letter from an Italian province in July of 2020 for a speeding offence in 2019 for 575 euros, was in a hire car I used for work, no longer work for them and heard nothing from either. - Thought blimey, but went to pay it anyway, it had doubled to over 1100 euros, yeah I can't afford paying that, filled out the attached information sheet to say it was me driving but I have no money or job due to COVID (true story) and sent it back (durrrr) - Heard nothing until December of 2023, a letter from an appointed solicitor from Florence saying if I don't pay, we will chase you through the legal system with costs born by you. - May of this year, I get a letter from CLI (Credit Limits International) saying they have been appointed to carry out the collection, £1475. - Stupidly, I started the 'three letter process' asking for proof etc, and they replied a few days ago with a copy of the fines I had received from Italy, they stated the debt has no terms and conditions as it relates to a fine in Italy and the debt is not subject to the Consumer Credit agreement. I translate that to "at the moment we don't own the debt and have been given authority from Italy to pursue the debt". That is where I am currently at, I would begrudge giving in and paying an obscene amount. As seen from similar threads, I know a threat of a visit is coming, followed by a threat of court action, but annoyingly it hasn't been mentioned how these cases were concluded and the threads are now locked. I've read to ignore them, but can't help but feel that because it's such a substantial amount that they will feel it's worthy of pursuing this no matter the hoops they have to jump through. Along with admitting it was me driving and opening the can of worms by contacting the DCA, it wouldn't look good for me should it ever get to a courtroom.  Has anyone with previous experience managed to 'get away with it'? Anyone know what they're capable of other than nagging me? I'm not after any moral judgment. Forgot to add, got friends in Italy, and one of them rang the Police where the fine came from, and her reply was “Tell your friend it’s not a big deal, it’s only a speeding fine we’re not going to chase him, tell him in future to take his foot off the gas, however it he returns to a Italy and gets control checked, he would be held until the fine is paid”  A bit odd I thought, considering I am being chased now.
    • take the SD card out and put on a pc/laptop then run recuva on it in  select videos only option select specific location hit browse then select drive letter of the SD card. then next  then deep scan then go have a cup of tea..  when done dont recover the all files back to the card select a new folder on your pc/laptop        
    • hi all, i will list my curmcumstance first then list the details of the penalty charge - we are 2 diabled people being affected by the cost of living crisis and are skint etc. i am disabled with mobility issues(arthritis in knees and ankles and gout) and cant operate car pedals anymore so i let a friend up the road use my car in exchange for her driving me about. its a good arrangement as i get a 'chauffer' and she gets the use of car. the car is parked in her drive which is better as i was refused a disabled space (even on appeal) and too much congestion to park the car outside my house. my friend is vulnerable as she has suffered depression and suicidal thoughts since the loss of her mother a few years back, she is dyslexic, she is a carer for one of her sons that is disabled due to mental illness and mobility. she lives in a council house and cannot work. we went to iceland ..attracted by the 10items for £10 offer - we've never been there before. a large artic lorry was parked accross the car park blocking the view of one of the parking signs and blocking the disabled bays where the pay&display machine is. by the time she helped me out of the car and then went to see if it was pay&display then came back to me at the car she said she thinks it was pay even for disabled, so we looked for change in the car which we didnt have (she normally goes asda which dont need to pay for parking)so then we said we'd either go get change or go to asda...so then by the time it took her to help me back in and get out the car park took 15 minutes...5 minutes overstay past the 10minutes grace. the letter from excel parking came through and i sent it back giving her name as driver (before i saw on here that you shouldnt name the driver) then i appealed explaining what happened (lorry blocking etc) and even said we were being descriminated (advised by citizen advice)as we are disabled and 15minutes is not long enough for a crippled disabled man and a woman with dyslexia to read and understandd the sign and get out, then back in the car and look for change then get out the car park in 15minutes. i even explained she was a vulnerable person on anti-depressants and even sent a photo of medication and said if you need a doctors note then let me know....the appeal was rejected. i've emailed iceland over 50 times and they just wont tell excel to cancel this charge - they are ignorant and ive even asked them why they have a webpage saying 'iceland combatting the cost of living crisis' pretending to help their customers and they wont comment...they'd rather put more stress and anxiety on an already suicidal vulnerable person just to get money out of them..so their 'help' during this crisis is a lie as it wont even extend to disabled customers. she has now received 2 letters from DCBL saying she owes £170 for 5minutes of overstay. the last one is a final demand. as she cant read or write very well ive sent a recorded letter to DCBL (as advised by citizen advice) asking not to attend the property due to a vulnerable woman inside the property as it will only exasperate the situation, they have ignored it and basically said we dont care, you still owe. could anyone please advise - we are not very good with letters or these situations and are slow on the uptake.   1 The date of infringement? 28th dec 2023   2 Have you yet appealed to the parking company yet? [Y/N?] yes   If you have then please post up whatever you sent and how you sent it and the date you sent it, suitably redacted. [as a PDF- follow the upload guide]cant do that - will have to get my son to do it when he visits   Has there been a response? yes   Please AS A PDF FILE  ONLY ..post it up as well, suitably redacted. - follow the upload guide]cant do that - will have to get my son to do it when he visits   If you haven't appealed yet - .........DONT ! seek advice on your topic first.   Have you received a Notice To Keeper? (NTK) [must be received by you between 29-56 days] yes   What date is on it? 15th january 2024   Did the NTK provide photographic evidence? yes   [scan up BOTHSIDES to ONE PDF of the PCN and your NTK - follow the upload guide] please LEAVE IN LOCATION AND ALL DATES/TIMES/£'scant do that - will have to get my son to do it when he visits   3 Did the NTK mention Schedule 4 of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 (PoFA) [Y/N?] not on the front - maybe on the back but cannot find the letter now   4 If you appealed after receiving the NTK, did the parking company give you any information regarding the further appeals process? [it is well known that parking companies will reject any appeal whatever the circumstances] yes   5 Who is the parking company? excel   6. Where exactly [Carpark name and town] did you park? gravesend in iceland    
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Making a claim against an ex-friend on sum of unpaid 'loan' - ** WON **

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4045 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi Mike,

thanks for your fast reply and link. greatly appreciated. yes i'll post it on line for u to have a scrutiny. yes I agree with you - any reasonable person would hv employment contract. he was not employed by me - i did not employ him as he refused my offer of employment. i paid for jobs he did on a daily rate basis. i told him that i wanted him to have an employment contract and that I wanted to put him through the books in my company. he refused. He said that he used to work for his uncle and that was terrible. He preferred to be self employed and did not want to work for anyone ever again. He gave me a daily rate and the agreement was that he gets paid as and when he worked. and he always wanted to be paid in cash. The thing was Mike, he did to a good job and i could leave it to him. He always cleaned up after himself. it was only after he borrowed the money from me that things went bad. But as i said he got paid for when he worked and so to a large extent I did have control. and it was not a big deal when i stopped using his services. however, my health deteriorated in the last two years and i was out of work and i needed the loan back.

the irony is - his defense is based on my suggestion some time shortly after he borrowed the money. I proposed to him that i deduct some money out of the payment he was due for the work done so the loan could be repaid over time - he declined on the basis that he needed every penny he can earn - he said needed the money really badly and that he would repay me when he got paid for jobs he had done for his mother in law or his uncle.

thanks again

Wrecked.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hi Mike,

thanks for your message - i have done as you suggested. pl see the draft below

All the best/Wrecked.

Dear Sir,

Re: (My name) v (Defendants name) Case No:

CPR 31.14 Request

Please treat this letter as my request made under CPR 31.14 for the disclosure and the production of a verified and legible copy of any documents or other evidence you intend to produce at court to substantiate your claim that

1) you have paid the debt you owe me(£ XXXX.00)

2) I owe you £ YYYY.00 as per your counter claim

3) you were under my employ (P45, P60 and self assessment)

You should ensure compliance with your CPR 31 duties and ensure that the document(s) I have requested are copied to and received by me within 7 days of receiving this letter. Your CPR 31 duties extend to making a reasonable and proportionate search for the originals of the documents I have requested, the better for you to be able to verify the document's authenticity and to provide me with a legible copy. Further, where I have requested a copy of a document, the original of which is now in the possession of another person, you will have a right to possession of that document if you have mentioned it in your case. You must take immediate steps to recover and preserve it for the purpose of this case.

Where I have mentioned a document and there is in your possession more than one version of that same document owing to a modification, obliteration or other marking or feature, each version will be a separate document and you must provide a copy of each version of it to me. Your obligations extend to making a reasonable and proportionate search for any version(s) to include an obligation to recover and preserve such version(s) which are now in the possession of a third party.

In accordance with CPR 31.15© I undertake to be responsible for your reasonable copying costs incurred in complying with this CPR 31.14 request.

If you require more time in which to comply with this request you must tell me in writing. You must tell me before the time for compliance with this request has expired. In telling me you require more time you must tell me what steps you have taken and propose to take in order to comply with this request and also state a date by when you will comply with this request. In addition your statement must be accompanied with a statement that you agree to an extension of the time for me to file my case. Your extension of time must be not less than 14 days from the date when you say you will have complied with my request.

If you are unable to comply with this request and believe that you will never be able to comply with this request you must tell me in writing.

Please note that if you should fail to comply with this request, fail to request more time or fail to agree to an extension of time for the filing of my defence, I will make an application to the court for an order that the proceedings be struck out or stayed for non-compliance and a summary costs order.

I do hope this will not be necessary and look forward to hearing from you.

Hi Mike,

i guess as per CPR 31 - he is obliged to produce any and all documentation. And, i guess he is entitled to make the same request to me.

document wise - i have already submitted the loan agreement, and a couple of witness statements I shall be submitting additional witness statements from a couple of other witnesses.

Am I correct in thinking that it is not necessary for me to disclose these witness statements till 7 days prior to the hearing ?

also, I believe I am entitled to make a fresh witness statement - supplementary to the one I have already submitted. is that correct?

thank you/Wrecked.

Hi Mike

having submitted the posts as above, i went to the library and checked on CPR Rules and Practice Directions. Under admissions in CPR 14, he had admitted to the debt, and there are practice directions for this on repayment. However, he claimed to have repaid this debt and there are no practice directions as to whether or not he should substantiate this claim and what evidence he is to provide. Do you know of any practice directions in relation to the defence and relevant evidence?

thanks/Wrecked

Hi Wrecked

Any sign of the order from the court yet?

Your part 31 request should be for specific documents mentioned either in their defence, counter claim or witness evidence. Whilst [in your case] pretty much if not all the other sides position is one of hearsay [hence no docs] that doesn't stop you asking and using same to build a case against.

Please provide the following documents:

1. Copy P45 for the period xx date to xx date

2. Copy P60 for the period xx date to xx date

3. Copy self assessment return for the period xx date to xx date

4. Copies of all receipts of payment in crediting of loan xx

5. Copy contract of employment for the period xx date to xx date

...... anything else you can think of to request.

There is no requirement for the other side to supply any of the above but...... if you've asked and they deny relief you have to ask yourself what the judge will make of their statement and why they are unwilling or unable to provide any evidence in support.

Additional witnesses...... were they disclosed at AQ? If not you'll need to apply for relief to bring additional witnesses in the case.

You can draft a witness statement for the hearing, copies to be filed with the court and served 7 days prior to hearing date.

Hi Mike

thanks for such a fast response. i note your point and contribution and will action accordingly.

Regarding additional witnesses, none were disclosed at AQ, however two witness statements were submitted in support of the application for Summary judgement.

At the hearing for the application for Summary judgement the judge did ask how many witnesses i shall be calling on and I said 3. But since then, i think i will have 5 to 6 witness statements. So should I apply to include these? is there a direction for this?

what would be helpful also will be if i can find some directions relating to the evidence which defence should submit with his defence and any old cases similar to mine. Can you offer any advice on how I can research these?

thanks again Mike - you've been extremely helpful and i really appreciate your help.

Regards/Wrecked.

Perhaps a call to the court may assist with the inclusion of additional witness evidence. Really depends on whether the judge recorded the number and included within the order subsequent to the s/j hearing. You'd like to think they'd got the thing typed up for service by now.

The other sides case will be much the same of yours, he'll need to show on the balance of probability that his statement has greater veracity than yours.

Its always difficult when there's little or no documentary evidence, just falls to a question of who's case has the greater substance and what the court decides is a satisfactory outcome.

HI Mike - Theres one thing that just transpired. I found a letter from the other party with his witness statement dated 17 September. It is marked by hand and post. There was no stamp on the envelope so it appeared that he hand delivered it to my house. I was away from home on the days 13 - 19 September and I returned for the hearing - which was 20 September. I assume he must have delivered this both to me and the the court on the same day. My question is would the court consider his witness statement - as it was submitted three days before the hearing date - most definitely less than the required seven days.

(just to explain to you I did not get this particular letter until my daughter gave it to me today as she took it with her by mistake - she had been on holiday two weeks before and there were a pile of post waiting for her.. and of course, this letter got mixed up with her mail.... then she meant to give it to me but forgot .... and i just got it today)

His witness statement did not come up at the hearing - certainly not from my side as i did not know it existed. The judge also did not mention anything at the hearing other than he could not accept my application for Summary Judgement.

Would this witness statement be considered for the next hearing - which is 25 Oct.?

How do I deal with it -

a. Do I comment on it - if so it would appear to the court that I am accepting it ?

b. Do I apply to the court to dismiss it?

c. If I make such an application he only has to re-submit for the next hearing.

d. Should i just ignore it, note what he had commented and cover the issues he raised in my new witness statement?

I am preparing the part 13 request and making relevant adjustments.

Its really difficult to call the court as its always engaged. I will write to them but keep trying to call.

Finally - i still hv not received any directions from the S/J hearing

Best/Wrecked.

HI Mike

Theres one thing that just transpired. I found a letter from the other party with his witness statement dated 17 September. It is marked by hand and post. There was no stamp on the envelope so it appeared that he hand delivered it to my house. I was away from home on the days 13 - 19 September and I returned for the hearing - which was 20 September. I assume he must have delivered a copy to me and another to the court on the same day.

My question is would the court consider/accept his late witness statement - as it was submitted three days before the hearing date - most definitely less than the required seven days.

(just to explain to you I did not get this particular letter until my daughter gave it to me today as she took it with her by mistake - she had been on holiday two weeks before and there were a pile of post waiting for her.. and of course, this letter got mixed up with her mail.... then she meant to give it to me but forgot .... and i just got it today)

His witness statement did not come up at the hearing - certainly not from my side as i did not know it existed. The judge also did not mention anything at the hearing other than he could not accept my application for Summary Judgement.

Would this witness statement be considered for the next hearing - which is 25 Oct.?

How do I deal with it ....?

a. Do I comment on it - if so it would appear to the court that I am accepting it ?

b. Do I apply to the court to dismiss it?

c. If I make such an application he only has to re-submit for the next hearing.

d. Should i just ignore it, note what he had commented and cover the issues he raised in my new witness statement?

I am preparing the part 13 request and making relevant adjustments.

Its really difficult to call the court as its always engaged. I will write to them but keep trying to call.

Finally - i still hv not received any directions from the S/J hearing

Best/Wrecked.

Hi Wrecked

The time for the w/s has passed, it wouldn't have been admissable anyway due to late service.

I'm sure he'll refer to the content at trial and within a revised w/s

I'd keep trying, they can read the content of the order to you over the phone if necessary...... where is the case being heard?

Hi Mike

Thanks for yr fast reply - its at Willesden County Court. Its really difficult to get through to them on the phone. Practically impossible. but i'll give it a go on Monday anyway.

And to make it worse, i cannot go and ask them personally as they hv shut down the reception/enquiry desk - so theres no one we can ask.

The only thing they have is a "drop off box" - where you can drop your letters and statements - I'll write to them over the weekend and go deliver it on Monday.

Mike, I want you to know that I really do appreciate your comments and fast reaction as this is really helping me. I hv been very ill over the last couple of years but in the last few months, my condition has been really terrible as I have had to take this action. If i had waited any longer, i would have been completely out of time. (Its now clear that he never had any intention of repaying my loan). The judge actually raised this at the hearing - he said it was a matter for consideration by the next judge who considers this case as to why it had taken me so long to take this question due to the amount of interest it has now raised.

So,its really important now to see the Judge's "written directions" I guess it must arrive pretty soon. I'll let you know when it arrives and send u the content.

Thanks/Wrecked.

Hi Wrecked

Where you mention 'interest' above, are you saying this was an interest bearing facility?

What was the principal sum, what rate of interest did you agree on, what is the total value you are claiming? No need to be exact with the figures as it could identify you to anyone looking in with an interest in the case.

Hi Mike

Thanks for yr message. In the original loan agreement, no interest was mentioned as he said he was going to repay it in a couple of months. I applied an interest of 8% p.a on the loan amount at the time of issuing the writ, from the date of the loan. i.e. 8% p.a. from 2006. I believe we can serve a writ for an issue within 7 years from the date of the event. Once its over 7 years - theres nothing more we can do. So i am well within the scope of time.

Say Principal sum = £ 2000, rate of interest = 8% p.a., applied cumulative from 2006.

I hope this answers yr question.

Many thanks/Wrecked.

Ok, started to think you'd lumped in an interest term that the court could/would never enforce.

6 years from last acknowledgment of the debt before limitations kick in, not sure the court would grant a full 6 years s.69 interest but no harm in asking.

This really does seem to fall to who's case appears the more believable to the judge on the day

Hi Mike

ah I see. Thats a very good point Mike.

I am still within six years and I am happy to amend my claim and leave the amount of interest payable to a value which the court seems fit.

please let me know what the appropriate wording would be. I am not particularly interested in the interest although it would be really useful for me and satisfying considering what i have had to go through.

best/Wrecked.

Hi Wrecked

No need to amend quantum, the court will decide the amount if you are successful in the case. I assume you calculated at simple not compound rates, for a principal of £2,000.00 the daily rate would be £00.44

hi Mike,

Thank you for your fast reply. I calculated the interest on Cumulative basis, so i guess that corresponds with "Compound rates" - I charged interest of 50p per day.

So if that is incorrect i should make a statement to the court and amend the amount.

with regards the CPR 31.14 request - i need to get the last para correct as i am the claimant.

at the moment it states

"...Please note that if you should fail to comply with this request, fail to request more time or fail to agree to an extension of time for the filing of my defence, I will make an application to the court for an order that the proceedings be struck out or stayed for non-compliance and a summary costs order..."

I should change this to

"...Please note that if you should fail to comply with this request, fail to request more time or fail to agree to an extension of time for the filing of my CLAIM, I will make an application to the court for an order that the proceedings be DECIDED IN MY FAVOUR FOR YOUR NON COMPLIANCE AND INABILITY TO SUBSTANTIATE AND PROVE YOUR DEFENSE...."

What do you think Mike?

All the best/Wrecked.

Hi Wrecked

Don't make any amendments, its a bit of a perversity of CPR that by reducing the quantum absent an order and applying to amend you could be liable to the other sides costs up to that point in the case.

CPR request, I think you could be a little more forceful considering the circumstances:

"...Please note that if you should fail to comply with this request, I will make an application to the court for an order that your counter claim be struck out for non-compliance and a summary costs order..."

Hi Mike

again thanks for fast reply. I got you. Regarding the request should I not include the defense as well

".. an order that your defense and counter claim be struck out.."

best/wrecked

Hi Mike

well he is relying on employment angle ... and listed out some of the jobs he had done for me (and what a nasty, dishonest and horrible person i am ... how he helped me by continuing to work for me even though i paid him irregularly) and owed him his "wages" for so long. I cannot understand how a person can rely on the wages from a non paying employer and continue to work for him, when the more he worked the less he is paid!!. (thats basically a summary of the late witness statement he served)

Thought i'd let u know that

1. i hv served the CPR 31.14 request and copied the court.

2. I wrote to court advising them that to date, the Judge's directions from the hearing of 20/09 hv not been received.

3. I have also applied to the court to move the next hearing date as one of my witnesses will not be able to attend and wrote to the other side giving them notice and asking them if they will agree.

Finally, i really think that he is getting legal help from somewhere -but i dont think he is getting legal aid. How an i find out if he is on legal aid?

best/wrecked

Hi Mike

the judge never commented on costs. But - i definitely had the feeling that he really did not like me much. Anyway - yes - i agree with you - i think the other side has a friendly solicitor.

Best/Wrecked.

Hi Wrecked

Judges dislike cases such as yours, much of the evidence will be by witness and effectively a 'he said, she said' argument....... it's a little akin to family disputes in some respects and the courts just don't like them.

I'll have a think about your PM later this evening and reply to the best of my knowledge, you may need to post some of the info on here to get a fuller response from others.