Defaults on credit file

Dannyp86
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4300 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, i am looking at getting a mortgage in 18 months/2 years, and have been looking at building my credit score as i have had a bad past, but now i'm on the straight and narrow and learnt from previous mistakes.

Before i ignored bank charges (not knowing the effect on my credit score) and now i have 2 defaults for this, yes was young and stupid. Also i have 1 default from a mobile phone contract.

These defaults are with Santander, Royal Bank of Scotland, and Vodafone. All were less than £500. All have been settled, The last default on my name was from 2010. But since been on the straight and narrow, kept up to date with all payments and have recently been upgraded by Barclays from their cash card account, to a full current account. I am doing the things like paying monthly for car insurance etc, to show good history.

I have read on the learnmoney website that a letter asking them to remove defaults of less than £500 as they are only small may work. Letter along the lines of i was young and unaware of the consequences, but now i am looking to get wed and start a family could you remove the default to allow me to obtain a mortgage. A plead for compassion so to speak.

So what are the views of people on this site, i respect the knowledge of the people on here, thank you very much.

p.s. i am sorry if this post is in the wrong forum

Hi there dannyp86. Think most of us on here (including me) have been daft and learnt by our mistakes. The damage that these defaults do is almost unthinkable. Over the years I have had several defaults removed, one of which was through pleading - it can work. If that dissent work then you can go down the route of getting them removed for being inacurate in the way they were applie - this is a long drawn out process. I would be interested to learn the dates of your two banking defaults also, as you state that you are going to be looking for a mortgage in a couple of years. It's worth seeing which defaults are on which credit file - Experien, Equifax & Call Credit. You may well find they aren't shown on all if them. Indeed, you may find one file that has none of them on - use this information to your advantage. When the time comes to get a mortgage, get a good broker who knows which agency the lenders use.

Very pleased to see you are sorting things out. Good luck with everything.

2010, so they will drop off in 2016, a good way off, i have checked equifax and experian, they have all defaults on each report

the santander one was due to me going overdrawn through fraud, then i refused to pay their charges, as it was through no fault of my own, they later refunded me, but still leave a default on my file

Thanks very much by the way

Daniel

Hi

Getting the legitimate defaults removed will be almost impossible. Creditors would rather pluck their eyeballs out than remove a default. They say they have an obligation to show how you carried yourself in the past to give future creditors a heads up. You can try but I wouldn't hold out much hope. I also don't think £500 is a small amount but that's just me.

With Santander, I would write a formal complaint as this default was not your fault. If they refuse, you have two choices, Information Commissioner or court.

You can add a 'Notice of Correction' against this entry (up to 200 words) to explain why it is there

• Haha 1

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

2010, so they will drop off in 2016, a good way off, i have checked equifax and experian, they have all defaults on each report

the santander one was due to me going overdrawn through fraud, then i refused to pay their charges, as it was through no fault of my own, they later refunded me, but still leave a default on my file

Thanks very much by the way

Daniel

Right so all the default date were about the same time in 2010 then. Have you checked Call Credit yet? Just so that you know, the are ned by Skipton Building Siciety and only check thei in file for mortgages I am told. You will have to put some more detais up about the amounts and dates really, especially the Santander one. Did they refund your charges due to a punitive charge complaint or was it due to the fraud? Have they acknowledged and agreed that a fraud occurred?

yes they agreed fraud occurred and gave me a cheque to refund me.

I would definitely send in a letter to their data control manager and compliance team to request that it is removed then - sound black and White to me.

Yes, was not aware of this until now, its the effect this may have had on applications etc, i may have been in a stronger posistion by now, looked at checkmyfile.com really handy, tells you the finishing dates on all accounts, given this information all defaults will be removed by feb 2015, which would be a good time for me to apply for a mortgage, its just the RBS account that is until july 2016, would anyone recommend me applying for a credit card, and pay off monthly, i do not need a credit card, i mean just to show good history?

Thanks again

Daniel

Yes, was not aware of this until now, its the effect this may have had on applications etc, i may have been in a stronger posistion by now, looked at checkmyfile.com really handy, tells you the finishing dates on all accounts, given this information all defaults will be removed by feb 2015, which would be a good time for me to apply for a mortgage, its just the RBS account that is until july 2016, would anyone recommend me applying for a credit card, and pay off monthly, i do not need a credit card, i mean just to show good history?

Thanks again

Daniel

I think that Capital One Classic accept applicants with defaults. Make sure you put a notice of correction on your credit file though beforehand. By law creditors are not allowed to accept or refuse applicants when they have a notice on their file so it then has to be underwritten by a person not a computer.

yes, i have a notice saying, at this time i struggled to come to terms with the costs of running a car, high insurance, fuel, etc. With a low income, and was naive. Over the past 2 years i have made all payments on time, and am in better control of my finances.

This look ok? or do you recommend better wording or something?

so do you recommend the credit card?

Getting a credit card to build up your credit rating requires extreme will power. Making sure that the bill is paid on time is one thing but then there comes temptation. Once that happens, the minimum payment starts rearing its ugly head and interest charges start applying.

In your position, you are unlikely to get a credit card with a low interest rate (if there is such a thing). Rates of about 40% is more likely.

Not trying to put you off, just beware of the pitfalls.

With the legit defaults, you can place a notice of correction but it will only re-enforce the legitimacy of the default so I wouldn't place anything next to them. With the Santander default you should be saying that the default was placed due to fraud against you and the bank and thus the default is faulty which you are attempting to get removed.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

i am confident i will not fall victim to the temptation, i only buy something i can pay for in cash, except a mortgage of course, i will use the credit card to pay for fuel and regularly pay it off each month. is the credit card a good idea if i treat it solely as a credit building item? i am saving for wedding and deposit for a house, i wont be lured into unwanted debt, as previously stated i have learnt from previous mistakes.

Hi, i am looking at getting a mortgage in 18 months/2 years, and have been looking at building my credit score as i have had a bad past, but now i'm on the straight and narrow and learnt from previous mistakes.

These defaults are with Santander, Royal Bank of Scotland, and Vodafone. All were less than £500. All have been settled, The last default on my name was from 2010. But since been on the straight and narrow, kept up to date with all payments and have recently been upgraded by Barclays from their cash card account, to a full current account. I am doing the things like paying monthly for car insurance etc, to show good history.

Hi Dannyp86,

Whilst I'm unable to guarantee that we'd be able to do anything in regard to the Vodafone aspect of your thread I'm happy to take a closer look at things for you.

If you'd like me to you're welcome to email me with your details via the Contact us form here quoting the code WRT135 - CAG Forum in the subject line.

Once sent you'll receive an automated reply with a reference number. To make sure it reaches me could you update the thread with this and I'll get back to you as soon as possible?

Kind regards,

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK

• 1 month later...

Santander, have given me a cheque for £70 to apologise for my inconvenience, then say the default will be classed as 'satisfied' i have spoke to them complaining that it was already satisfied, and i should not have a default recorded on my file. They say it was my fault that i did not pay their charges. I should pay a charge for my going overdrawn as a victim of fraud???? i remember at the time talking about the charges to the fraud team, and they claimed that i should not worry as they will see to the matters. Therefore, i left the account to its own devices, only to get a big horrible default recorded against me, i said all this to santander, and they said i should show them a letter from 3 years ago of the fraud team saying this, errm it was a phone conversation.

Have i got any arguement, or can they just go round screwing us over? Can fully understand why suicide is on the rise with these corrupt banks, when will the 1% start to suffer?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi bjoh69,

I appreciate that your query may have nothing to do with Vodafone but as I was subscribed to the thread I saw that your query had gone unanswered.

In regard to defaults I can confirm that they will come off automatically once the six years from when they were registered has elapsed.

Thanks,

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK