Equality act and morrisons supermarket

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3869 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In your case, I'm surprised that common sense isn't shown. When your child is 5, there is something about allowing them to have alcohol at home?

Seriously? No I would not give a 5 year old alcohol (if I had 1) I was refering to the guy with the seventeen year old! And I feel I am well within rights to give my opinion on this matter - yes it may be different from others but that is because I am not a sheep and speak how I feel, which is probably the same as the guy who initialy started this conversation! I am not trying to argue with people but I think on this matter we will just have to agree to disagree as opinions can be very different, I realise that you have autism but there really is no need to be quite so personnal!

You've clearly misunderstood me...

I hope so I didn't know how to take the last comment and I haven't tried to offend anyone just give my personnal opinion - which is don't sue, ask for an apology for the discrimination and that I don't feel it is an offence to shop with your children when purchasing anything (inc alcohol). I can't help the way I feel. I can give you an example of this happening - My mother and my 18 year old sister (who does look younger and didn't have ID with her) went to a shop my mother got a bottle of wine and was refused, she took my sister and dropped her off at home and returned to said shop where they still refused as they believed it was still for her and they thought she was 17 as she had only turned 18 a few weeks before! the shop manager basically told my mother she would not be served there again as it could be for my sister! We live in a small town and the nearest shop other than that is 15 miles away so my mother had to go back pick my sister up again (with her ID) to prove she was old enough for my mother to have a drink! Do you understand now when I say where will it end? If my sister had only been 17 my mother wouldn't have been served there for a year regardless of whether she was with her!

The OP can't ask for an apology for the descrimination though as there hasn't been any. The supermarket were complying with the law. OP can ask for an apology for the attitude of the store staff though.

Heidi - I've heard of that happening before, in regards to alcohol and being with younger people.

For it to not be discrimination, it must be justified. This can include (but not limited) things like health and safety and stuff about breaking the law.

I would be very surprised if the OP can find a solicitor who will take this case on. I would also be very surprised if they managed to sue. I can't see any discrimination here.

Dont ever shop for alcohol in the Co-op then.. you have to be over 25 and have ID !!

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Dont ever shop for alcohol in the Co-op then.. you have to be over 25 and have ID !!

The state of Hawaii requires proof for those looking under 30!

Sadly I was never asked.

I'm sure that's normal policy anyway?

My understanding of that rule is that if you look under 25, you'll be ID'd. But you can buy alcohol from that shop when you're 18.

I'm sure that's normal policy anyway?

My understanding of that rule is that if you look under 25, you'll be ID'd. But you can buy alcohol from that shop when you're 18.

Correct. If you APPEAR to be over 25 then you will not be asked for ID. If not, then you will be asked to prove that you are over 18.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Best rule is just not to shop at the co op. Overpriced and understocked in my opinion.

But there are many of them and its the closest to me. They are also open until ten. OK the prices of things not on discount are lousy - but if you need a quick bottle at the last minute its often the best place to go compared to offsales. I am also a member of the Co-op, so often the till receipts print off discount vouchers for me.

If you are a member of the Co-op - you get a free (although its an 0845 number) legal advice help line too.

http://www.co-operative.coop/legalservices/

I think you mistook my last comment. I do not think compensation is in order! I do feel an apology would be a way to go though - for the attitude of the shop staff! The discrimination I mentioned was refering to when the man has stated that the shop staff jokingly admitted to discriminating him due to his disability! The law is the law unfortunately and even when you do not agree you must comply so... if he was stopped purely for having his daughter with him then that is that, but at the same time shop staff are expected to behave in a certain manner!

legislation will be found in The Licensing Act 2003 cant remember the exact sections as I dont have it in front of me, and just to clarify when i said leave your child at home I was not even suggesting that a child be left on its own, I was just stating that if you buy alcohol and you have a chilkd with you it is quite possible that you will be refused.

The law is quite clear on the sale or supply of alcohol to under 18's,, TS do regular test purchases and shoild a shop fail a test putchase 3 times TS will almost certainly call for a review of the premises licence, which could result in the loss of the right to sell alcohol.

Should a shop have its licence revoked it will have a detrimental effect on the shops takings, possibably result in having to reduce staff if they are not so busy and if they are the only shop in the area it will affect other people wishing to buyt alcohol.

As far as restaurant meals go a child may drink beer or wine at 16 when it is taken with a meal (proper meal not a packet of crisps) but cannot purchase it themselves.

What you do in your own home is up to you but should you give alcohol to a minor and somthing goes wrong there are a number of charges that could be brought against you.

As a silly aside though there is no minimum age at which a person/child can sell alcohol, the only stipulation is that if the seller is under 18 sales can only be made when authorised by a person over 18, but that person dosnt have to be a personal Licence holder just authorised buy the PLH. So if you had a pub or shop a 5 year old could serve behind the bar.

The wonders of the British Legal system !!

Edited by assisted blonde

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

• 1 year later...

Hi im new to this site and was just trying to find out what morrisons alcohol policy is (ie , what time they start selling, so i can get a birthday drink for a friend before work) and found myself here through the wonders of google. Anyway, i appreciate im a little out of date on this post (by about 12 months..) but ... if anyones still listening lol im now 27 years old, and where i dont have a problem as such with not being served ( i appreciate i look young so always carry id) i have had a long history with 'unsatisfactory' service at morrisons (it use to be a safeway -and i worked there when it was, good days) but anyway.. when i was approx 19 years of age i got refused service.. for hairspray.. the nice lady at the checkout said i would have to get my mom to come in and buy it as i didnt have id to say i was over 16!!! Really? Didnt even know you needed id for hairspray until then... also had a similiar (exact same, actually) problem when a few weeks later trying to buy super glue (maybe thats the real deep down reason why i always make sure i have id on me .. even at 27). Now i fully accept selling alcohol to a minor would be wrong,but if its the parent trying to buy it, with minor in tow, then most supermarkets would be cutting off their nose to spite their face..understandably, a little common sense would go a long way. But my complaint, to this out dated yet relevant thread, is this : i have been trying to phone my local morrisons for the past hour, to see what time they start serving alcohol,so i can buy it for my friend before work. -no answer. It just rings out. So i will have to risk embarrasment of buying alcohol after ten and see what happens. The website says that time of sale is dependant on individual stores, but how do you know what time that is, if your local store has no one to answer the phone??? I will attempt to call again after this (my first) post :) i cant help but feel it could be more quickly and easily addressed on their website... but sorry for the rant.. this out-dated post is just to fitting for me to ignore!! And yes, of course i will expect to have my id handy, especially buying alcohol so early in the day, i just wish i knew what time that was before i try!!!!! (Ps,i appreciate morrisons age policy and respect that, what i dont like is lack of info for those +18) thanks :) -if anyones there.....i registered to thus site especially to express my current frustration lol. Back to the phone number... that rings and rings out...

By the way.. update here incase anyones 'reading' ! Lol just got through on the phone to my local morrisons.. after ALOT of trying..and the man on thw other end of the phone couldnt be more helpfull, to be fair , so im more than eased with the customer service - when you can get it. And also turns out my local morrisons will sell alcohol today (sat -dunno about any other restrictions) from 8am!! So had i known this approx 2 hours ago..(start of my quest) my life would have been much easier. Anyway, i know its safe to purchase now (no embarrasmemt of 'cant serve you that' but it took a long time to find out.. c'mon morrisons.. make your local store section of your website more informative! Espec if it takes best part of 2 hours to get hold of someone in store on phone.... laters :)

As its been revived, and most of the response seem to be opinion rather than addressing the question, I thought I would add:

The Code of Practice for Services, under the Equality Act gives examples of exceptions which are relevant to the original issue. The following clause would seem to be the crooks of the issue:

The non discrimination provisions of this Act may be overridden only where

another law, or regulations or orders made under another law, require a

difference of treatment because of a protected characteristic and a service

provider, person exercising public functions or an association has no

discretion or choice but to comply with the other law.

So, for me the question of whether you can claim depends on the licensing laws. I don't know about these, but it would be interesting to see what they say. For example, do they say 'It is an offence to sell alcohol to anyone accompanied by a minor' i.e explicitly preventing them selling you it whilst accompanied. Or does it say something like 'It is an offence to sell alcohol where you have reason to believe that the alcohol will be consumed by minors' etc.

The key question is does licensing act prevent them, or is it their policy and interpretation, which whilst in the public interest may be over doing it. In terms of the suggestion that they are treating you the same as everyone else, that is not the correct comparator for this situation. If you 17 old is there to carry you alcohol and assist you as a disabled person I think they should (if possible under the licensing act) allow it.