Partnership - Self assessment help please

summer30
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4378 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I would ring up but apparently the helpline cannot answer enquiries today or some such so I wonder if you can help me .

Last year I added my husband to my business as a partner

Now my self assessment has come but I am confused

I have one for him which includes a partnership short form in it

I have a letter to myself ( I usually do mine on line)

I have a letter to fill in a tax return to the business name

apparently I have to do partnership forms by paper now as you cant do it on line without buying software?

Now how do I work this, Ive found the partnership short form to download but it looks different to the one in my husbands form,

Does he also have to fill in sa800 as well as me or is that what he has already :\

I get that we both have to do a partnership supplementary section (?)

But why or how do I file a return for the business name, does that required a partnership form as well ? in that I assume I just put in the overall profit and loss?

Sorry hope that makes sense, Im just very unsure as its first time doing it.

If you have a partnership business, you have to choose a nominated partner ( you decide between you)

The nominated partner has to complete a partnership return giving details of the split of profit/losses

Each partner (including the nominated partner) has to complete a self assessment return which contains a partnership page giving details of the profit/loss split as per the partnership return

You have to file on line. You need to obtain a password in order to access the on line filing facility, you can do all this by going to HMRC website, click on self assessment and there is a link for filing on line

Gbarbm

Yes you are right about the software part if the tax return for the partnership is being filed late.

They won't accept a paper return, follow the instructions given by Gbarbm above.

My husband is currently disputing this issue himself as he sent all three returns back recorded before the October deadline; they were logged as signed for on the e-pod system yet they lost the partnership one!! They filed the two remaining ones and ok'd them yet told him he had to complete yet another partnership return and pay for the software. He was issued late penalties which they told him he would have to appeal in writing.

So they want him to first purchase software he has no training in which is designed for larger partnerships, fill the partnership return in. Then write again to appeal the penalties. He wrote a letter of complaint in which he is still awaiting the response to - they lost the first complaint even though again it was signed for!!

If they do not find it and process it then the Ombudsman and MP will be the next route. It is a farce that a small business needs to purchase this software yet they can accept solo returns. I will let you know what happens with his complaint but honestly you couldn't even make it up, some of the letters we have had are really actually quite funny because they are sooooooo bad.

I agree with you susi, this is what happens when the government get rid if 20,000 experienced staff and replace them with fixed term appointments who are inexperienced and have no loyalty to the organisation.

You are right when you advise to appeal and complain to the independent adjudicator as well as your MP, this will affect the stats and hopefully get them to make the system less onerous for tax credit claimants.

Nuff said rant over!

Gbarbm