Problems with a car i have sold!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4386 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

I am hoping to get some clarity on my position with this sale. Sorry for the long post but i need you all to have an accurate picture.

I sold a converted camper van for my dad on ebay. The description of the van was entirely accurate and this is uncontested. However as it was a home conversion it had no safety test. When the bidder turned up to complete the deal He informed us he had family and at this point i advised a safety check and reduced the price by £80 odd to cover the cost. This revealed several issues the cost of which ran into hundreds. I offered the buyer a complete refund plus all his expenses or a parshall refund of £400 plus the 380 originally given for the test. He chose to accept the parshall refund and the money was refunded that week. I have now recieved a text saying that it has an oil leak and i should make recompense for this some 2 weeks and a weekend away in the van for him later!! He did ask if the van had any leaks before buying and it did not. The last MOT showed a leak which was a rocker gasket which was replaced and he has the reciept for this. The van is 14years old and has 160k plus on the clock. It was a home conversion and was painted by my dad. all of which was in the ebay listing. The buyer bought the van unseen and paid in full in cash on collection. He signed a reciept for the van sold as seen on the day. What do i now have to do to resolve this as i feel i have done all i can.

Thanks for any replies

At 14 years old and 160k tell him to get lost, it is BOUND to have minor faults.

The story about the safety check etc is immaterial to anythnig else but i does show that yuo've tried to help.

Don't part with a penny piece!

Hi and welcome to CAG.

Are you a trader in motor vehicles?

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Hi Sam

No i am not a Trader. I have only ever sold 2 cars on ebay. the other one was a 15k skyline.

I am just in disbelief that i can be haled responsible for any of the above I feel i have offered more than enyone in the right mind would do and still it seems he insists on trying to get me to pay up more money. I am only doing what i would like doing if i were that end but there is a limit!!!!

Provided you are not trading in vehicles, as you say you are not, then tell him to where to get off. You have done more than enough already, in fact, perhaps too much. The only thing that springs to mind is if the conversion resulted in a tax bracket change i.e.a commercial to a private vehicle then this might throw up a few issues if it was not registered. Apart from that nothing to worry about. If this it turns out that a tax bracket change is the case then it's a relatively simple thing to go through but will require an inspection by a VOSA test centre nearest to you. Not sure what this costs now.

Hi Sam

No i am not a Trader. I have only ever sold 2 cars on ebay. the other one was a 15k skyline.

I am just in disbelief that i can be haled responsible for any of the above I feel i have offered more than enyone in the right mind would do and still it seems he insists on trying to get me to pay up more money. I am only doing what i would like doing if i were that end but there is a limit!!!!

As long as you didn't falsely advertise the van there is no comeback via the SOGA in a private sale. As already mentioned, you appear to have gone beyond your responsibilities.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

He's trying it on, because he already got you to refund some, and I wouldn't have paid for that safety check either, as if i was selling, i would be selling a van that has been modified

Its an old vehicle sold as seen privately, and disclosed modified, I don't think you be held accountable for anything unless you knowingly sold it in a dangerous (unroadworthy) condition at the time that the buyer can prove beyond doubt

only my2p