Do we have any rights?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4382 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Evening everyone

Last weekend we brought a car from a private seller. He has a business of selling cars. We did a part Exchange on my partners car and got this car. It had no road tax or MOT so had to get those done straight away. We took if in for a service also, as I am a childminder so I will be using it to transport children (its a 7 seater). The car needed 4 new tyres, one of the seatbelts is faulty and the car has a huge oil leak and the garage is not sure where the leak is coming from. £500 later.....!!! I am just wondering if there is anything we can do? We thought the seller seemed a bit dodgy but we were in a rush to buy a bigger car. He must've known the problems with the car. It is still going to cost us lots more money to sort the oil leak and seatbelt out. Is there anything we can do with regards to the seller or should we just cut our losses? Thanks Claire

Why buy a car with no MOT?

suggest you write a letter claiming eaither for money back or your costs, and give him 7 days to respond or you will take him to court.

As a trader he has to satisfy the sale of goods act, also he cannot sell a car that is unroadworthy.

have you any proof that he is a trader, such numerous adds, lots of vehivles for sale.

Speak to consumer direct amd trading standards.

Thanks everyone. Sorry, I know nothing about cars. He is a trader, we went to his house and he had about 15 cars in the back. He has a website and runs the business with his dad. I have just asked my OH and it did have an MOT (7 days left on it) Sorry I gave the wrong info. It had no road tax. I think we will try writing to him. Thanks Claire

Do not have any work done on it before contacting the seller!!! Very important!!! You say it needs 4 new tyres? If they are illegal then it would be illegal to sell the car to you.

Contact the seller straight away and report the matters to him. Ask him to either make the car roadworthy and of satisfactory quality or you will reject under the SOGA.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Can we have an update please!

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

I took the cat back yesterday he has sorted the airbag and seat belt and has cleaned off all the oil but has found no leakage, he is taking the cat out today for a 10 mile drive and if no further oil leaks he says it will be fine. I will take it back to my own mechanic though for a double check. Thanks for your advice

I hope he keeps the 'cat' on a lead then. :lol:

Please Note