Deferment of student loan pre 1998 declined despite being below the threshold

Bakewell
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3602 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Deferment of student loan pre 1998 declined despite being below the threshold of £2,311.

Would anyone please be able to offer me any advice?

I have applied for deferments of my student loan for all previous years and this has been agreed.

This year despite sending in the deferment form and proof that my income is only £1156 per month

i have been declined.

This causes me some concern as finding £150 per month at this time will be difficult.

Does any one have any idea why i was declined and how i may appeal ?

Many thanks in advance.

i thought thr threshold was £15k?

is this SLC themselves too?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi am new here so I hope this thread works and if has that I can find my back. The threshold is £15 000 for the post 1998 student loans (known as income contingent). Mine is known as a Mortgage style Loan. Thank you

Hi

i have a letter to say that payments are due on the 15th April - it only arrived on Saturday and it is with SLC. I also had a second envelope enclosing my deferment form with payslips which i had sent - the compliment slip said date as postmark and that required copies had been taken.

Hi there,

I've just been refused deferment by SLC for the first time and my income is £825 every four weeks, if I include my partners, it's £1423 every four weeks for a family of five! They've just informed me (on Saturday) that they'll be deducting £154 per month from me starting on the 15th of April. Some notice!

Don't know if it's the right thing to do, but I'm going through SLC's Complaints Procedure to see why this has happened and to try and claim any money back which they take out of my account. I posted on this site for help but have yet to receive a reply.

I'm not very good with computers so can't put up link to complaints page but it's on their site. They are supposed to acknowledge your complaint within 5 days, provide written response within 15 days, if you're not happy get senior management review takes 15 days and if still not happy go to their Independant assessors. All days are working days. I've taken this route as you get no joy on the phone and they NEVER reply to your letters.

Hope this is some help although I don't really have the answer to our shared problem.

Good luck.

Hi motogpmad

I rang the SLC this morning to ask why despite having my deferment application i had a letter to say they will be collecting payments from the 15.04.2012. I have been advised that since this letter was issued another has been issued to confirm my deferment. I strongly advise that you call too. In the mean time i have arranged to make voluntray payments equal to monthly interest charges in order that in 2 years time when i have the means to make repayments these will not be higher than the current level.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on.

• 2 years later...

Hello. I had a similar problem. The SLC refused to send me a deferment form even tho I was under the threshold for the mortgage style loans, They said it was because I was only allowed to defer for so many years and then I had to start paying it back regardless of whether I met the threshold or not. I spoke to two different people at SLC. So am I wondering if the whole call centre was told to tell people what I was told. Can you let me know if this is why u were refused. Thanks

you SURE its slc you were talking too

we have had many reports that link and arrows claim to be SLC

what is the number that calls you

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...